Best Player that Quit Early on

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
CJ said the beat Reed giving the 8 ball in a long session , and then loss twice trying to give Reed the 7 on a Big table. How strong is that from CJ.
Honest question. Does everyone believe the stories that come out of his mouth? Do you think they are 50% true 80% true 100% true?

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
And I'd love to hear more about Beenie's room in VA.

I was a couple decades late to the scene but did my best. In the early 2000s another room opened in the same shopping area. I tortured them in there and they kept me from getting a real job for a couple years.

Best I could do, given the timing.
I was there one time, 1970, Bean and DeValle owned this room together. Below ground, damp and gold crowns. Saw Mike Carella have Louie Roberts down to his jewelry. Louie was given $800 collateral last set, he came back and busted Carella.

Played Steve Gumphreys there on that mid room GCI? Tile floors, middle of the action. I liked the game I matched up, got all the breaks, BUT this table was damp/dirty/slow....Not a dry CO table....impossible to make a ball on the break. They were all there, tho I was young still learning who's who, especially my first time on the E. Coast. Developed respect for those E. Coast players who grew up in those cold/damp Pinoy conditions.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was there one time, 1970, Bean and DeValle owned this room together. Below ground, damp and gold crowns. Saw Mike Carella have Louie Roberts down to his jewelry. Louie was given $800 collateral last set, he came back and busted Carella.

Played Steve Gumphreys there on that mid room GCI? Tile floors, middle of the action. I liked the game I matched up, got all the breaks, BUT this table was damp/dirty/slow....Not a dry CO table....impossible to make a ball on the break. They were all there, tho I was young still learning who's who, especially my first time on the E. Coast. Developed respect for those E. Coast players who grew up in those cold/damp Pinoy conditions.
Kind of sad I missed that time in pool. Whaddya gonna do?
Thanks for the share.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll take a stab at this. 95% that the stories actually happened. 7% that the details are accurate. 100% that he knows they're not accurate.
That is very interesting. I'd like to know if you you considered 62% of statistics are made up?

Island Drive

Silver Member
I remember Mizerak not likin' it playing Jean, he spoke up and said women should not be allowed in men's pro events.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I remember Mizerak not likin' it playing Jean, he spoke up and said women should not be allowed in men's pro events.
Although you are right, there was a little more to it. Back during the straight pool era, it was not uncommon for a women's event to share a venue and arena with the higher profile main event. I recall attending some of those events in the late 1970's and early 1980's.

When Jean was permitted to play in both divisions of the event, it really created some headaches for those trying to schedule all the matches. I recall a situation in which the match schedule got backed up because a male player (Dallas West, I believe) scheduled to play Jean had to wait and wait because she was busy playing a women's division match. Most of the men took no issue with Jean's participation in the main event but took great exception when her simultaneous participation in the women's event caused situations like these.

My memory is fading a little on this, but I seem to recall that in about 1981 or so, Jean was not allowed to play in both divisions of the PPPA World Straight Pool Championship, and I believe she chose to play in the main event only.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Has to be Keith Thompson as he quit young.
Over Jean Balukas, who quit at 29? She is still considered the best ever woman player by many. For those who quite before the age of 30, nobody is in the conversation with Jean.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Over Jean Balukas, who quit at 29? She is still considered the best ever woman player by many. For those who quite before the age of 30, nobody is in the conversation with Jean.
I also heard that Jean drilled Miz in a 9 ball race to 11 event. Some men for sure don't do well playing the gals.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Although you are right, there was a little more to it. Back during the straight pool era, it was not uncommon for a women's event to share a venue and arena with the higher profile main event. I recall attending some of those events in the late 1970's and early 1980's.

When Jean was permitted to play in both divisions of the event, it really created some headaches for those trying to schedule all the matches. I recall a situation in which the match schedule got backed up because a male player (Dallas West, I believe) scheduled to play Jean had to wait and wait because she was busy playing a women's division match. Most of the men took no issue with Jean's participation in the main event but took great exception when her simultaneous participation in the women's event caused situations like these.

My memory is fading a little on this, but I seem to recall that in about 1981 or so, Jean was not allowed to play in both divisions of the PPPA World Straight Pool Championship, and I believe she chose to play in the main event only.
Another example of the tone deafness of the male players of that area. Can you IMAGINE what it would have done for the game if Jean had ever won a large men's event? Many of them had absolutely no vision, just like those criticizing Matchsport's moves.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Another example of the tone deafness of the male players of that area. Can you IMAGINE what it would have done for the game if Jean had ever won a large men's event? Many of them had absolutely no vision, just like those criticizing Matchsport's moves.
Well said, Russ. Haven't seen you on the forum for a while, hope you're well and thriving.