Best up and coming cue makers to invest your money into?

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Leon Sly, not for investment, but for playability

I agree 100% on the playability - Imo they hit AWESOME. Don't know about long term investment but the prices have sure shot up over the years as he gained exposure. I've known Leon for maybe 20 years , since way back in the Nani's glory days lol.

If you want a nicely priced cue that has a very nice ,stiff hit and might go up in value over the years, consider a Woodworth.

Woody always seems to have a good inventory of cues in several pricing categories available, yet they all hit much the same. He pays particular attention to balance point and will change up his pin material based on the wood being used so that his cues have similar feel from cue to cue. He just recently started making full-splice 5-point cues as well. Not sure how many cue makers out there are doing that???

I have a Woodworth in my collection that I picked up last year and it's one of my favorites. A wonderful hitting cue with excellent looks.

After playing with his cue for a while now (and having hit with many others from more famous builders) I find myself wondering why he's not more popular? Then again, if he were more famous I probably would not have been able to afford the cue I got, or it would not have been available. ;)

I bought the cue to use after meeting Woody in person and being impressed by playing with his personal cue a couple of times, I did not buy it as an investment...

I had a Woodworth sneaky when I was a kid (back in the late 90's). It hit really nice. I think it was signed something like "Wiley Woody" if my memory is correct. I never held onto my cues for more then a few months, lol. The longest I ever held onto 1 cue was my all time favorite hitting cue, a Jackson custom (that I had for years as a kid). I played so well with that cue. It was an original JCC custom.

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ken Kerner spent a good part of the morning telling me about cues
that I sold for $3000 or so that have changed hands for $10000,$15,000 and around $30,000
over the last 10 or so years

Not good investments?

Of course some are good and some are not,but over the last several years South West,Szamboti and
several others have been great investments

If I were to guess for the future I would pick Cohen,Larry Vigus,and Jake Hulsey

(among the most recent)

honestly I am buying these and have several on order right now,,I still buy Szamboti and South West Cues too,but they can hardly be called up and comers

Another one I really like is Pete Tonken,but he is already recognized as top drawer,i have one of his ordered too

I guess these would be worth investing serious money in.They also play good.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Invest? Not sure, but if the question was "best new up and coming makers to BUY a cue from", I would say Larry Vigus or Jake Hulsey.... Good luck trying to get them to build you one though..:smile:....

Larry, if you read this keep me in mind when you're ready :)

Ken Kerner spent a good part of the morning telling me about cues
that I sold for $3000 or so that have changed hands for $10000,$15,000 and around $30,000
over the last 10 or so years

Not good investments?

Of course some are good and some are not,but over the last several years South West,Szamboti and
several others have been great investments

If I were to guess for the future I would pick Cohen,Larry Vigus,and Jake Hulsey

(among the most recent)

honestly I am buying these and have several on order right now,,I still buy Szamboti and South West Cues too,but they can hardly be called up and comers

Another one I really like is Pete Tonken,but he is already recognized as top drawer,i have one of his ordered too

I guess these would be worth investing serious money in.They also play good.

So, did you lose money on any of the cues that you sold for $3,000? None of my business, but I hope not. The nicest cue I ever had was a 1990 Scruggs. Paid $1500 for it (on an ebay auction win back in 2008). The guy said that he has around $3,000 invested in the cue, but was happy to get half of his investment money back out of it. It was a super nice Scruggs (4 points, with diamond shaped ivory inlays in the points, and 4 ivory windows in the butt). It had a cocobola joint, which I thought was rare for a Scruggs. The only thing I did not like about the cue was that it did not have veneers in the points.

Delaware Lar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your looking for an investment cue buy a Black Boar. When Tony dies his cues are going to skyrocket.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Investing in cues is a myth. Luckily.
Do something sensible with your money! Use it, not try to bank on futures.

I buy used guitars to play them. If you have the right ones you can count on 1/2 of their original price when in normal good state.

2andOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eddie Cohen
Larry Vigus
Jake Hulsey
Mike Durbin
Josh Treadway
Esoteric
Leon Sly

Or any good mutual fund.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cues are a crap roll........buy what you like and you will not be disappointed.......just make sure you like the cue a lot before pulling the trigger.

Matt B.

Eddie Cohen
Larry Vigus
Jake Hulsey
Mike Durbin
Josh Treadway
Esoteric
Leon Sly

Or any good mutual fund.

I love Mike durbin cues. My 1st custom cue I ever has was a durbin sneaky . I have had several durbins over the years, and they all played really great. He is a great player too. He is a perfectionist from what I have heard, about his cue making. He is not a new cue maker though. He has been making cues for around 20 years, at least. I think I was around 15 when I got that sneaky directly from him, in around 95 or 96. I loved that cue. I would love to get a durbin, if I could ever find a steal on one, because they are way too pricey for me now. Too bad we are still not in the 90s, when I could get a sneaky from him for $200.

Last edited:

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Like for example I ordered a sneaky from Scruggs back in the late 90s , and I think I paid $200 for it. If I would have held on to that cue and taken good care of it, then it would be worth maybe 4 times its original cost. Same thing for lambros. You used to be able to get a fancy sneaky directly from him for $300, and now that same cue would probably cost a $1,000.

Yeah, but back then $200 or $300 was worth more than it is today. The cues you are talking about are not gaining much value as much as simply keeping up with inflation. It sounds awesome to think you could go back to 1960 and buy a cue with $200 that would be worth $10,000 today. But then you realize in 1960 you could buy a bottle of coke for a nickel, a gallon of gas for a dime, and a house for $25,000 that would be worth $500,000 today.

Want to make money investing in something? BTE. Your welcome.