Best up and coming cue makers to invest your money into?

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best to play with a lot of cues and talk to a lot of cue makers. Then invest in cues you want to own. No matter what happens to future values. You will still have cues you are happy with.

Larry

That is well said,buy what you like and you can,t go wrong,because noone knows what is gonna happen with cue values. But if you bought a cue YOU LIKE then you will always have a cue that you like.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, but back then $200 or $300 was worth more than it is today. The cues you are talking about are not gaining much value as much as simply keeping up with inflation. It sounds awesome to think you could go back to 1960 and buy a cue with $200 that would be worth $10,000 today. But then you realize in 1960 you could buy a bottle of coke for a nickel, a gallon of gas for a dime, and a house for $25,000 that would be worth $500,000 today.

Want to make money investing in something? BTE. Your welcome.

Maybe an exception would be old Scruggs sneaky Petes. I bought one back around '95 for $145, and the dealer had 4 or 5 on hand. Now a beat up one goes for $500-600...

Last edited:

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Real estate. Except for lava flows, God's not making any more real estate. And at that, some chalk company is chipping away at the lava. Get it while you can.

For an under $500. cue by someone that worked for a big name, Bob Frey is da man.

HaroldWilson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Respectfully, buying pool cues and investing shouldn't be included in the same thought.

Open a Vanguard account and get into broad market index funds. Your investments will mature long term much more than pool cues. :)

Depends on the amount of ROI you are looking for and what satisfaction you get from it and most importantly how long you are willing to hang onto them for. I have been collecting and trading, selling cues and cases as a hobby for over 20 years and have never made a loss on a cue I have sold.

I travel a lot which may be the reason and will take cues such as BB bought on Ebay etc or even the higher model predators and sell them in person to rich collectors in places they are hard to obtain. For instance, in certain 3rd world countries where a lot of countries refuse to ship. The trick is to do your research on the ground and learn who the buyers are.

Or I will buy certain older brands of snooker cues in the UK for small dollars, restore them and then take to countries where the have been marketed well in the past and have a good reputation and sell sometimes for 5- 10 times the price.

Occasionally I have made $1000 or $2000 profit other times just several hundred, other times I break even but I have never made a loss on a cue or custom case.

It just depends on how much you are looking at getting out of it and whether (in some cases) you can afford to have a lot of dollars tied up in cues just sitting in cases for months or years at a time. So for me it is just an enjoyable sideline which I can take with me on business or holiday trips which often ends up paying for the hotel room and meals :) and on occasion the whole trip!.

In my experience the older Black Boar cues are definitely worth collecting and seem to appreciate in value very quickly. There is no reason you can't make $1k to 2k profit on these in the next 5-10 years. Finding them though now days is the hard part.

Last edited:

CJH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your looking for an investment cue buy a Black Boar. When Tony dies his cues are going to skyrocket.

If I were to be counting on someones death for my eventual profit it would clearly indicate that I am way off the rails and greed for profit has rendered me a despicable example of a man. Even if you were to think such a thing, what would compel you to post it? You don't think Tony or Donnie log on to AZ? Good grief!

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
If I were to be counting on someones death for my eventual profit it would clearly indicate that I am way off the rails and greed for profit has rendered me a despicable example of a man. Even if you were to think such a thing, what would compel you to post it? You don't think Tony or Donnie log on to AZ? Good grief!

Probably wasn't intended to come across that way.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If

If ordering a cue the investment should be how much enjoy you net from the process.
I have ordered many cues and when you have some contact back and forth and cue
arrives in a timely fashion as ordered then it is a winner.
You have gotten a nice return on your investment. When a cuemaker falls off the face of the Earth after the initial order and it always you calling him after build times have come and gone , to me it was a huge waste of money and precious time.

pookster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
15 years ago you can almost invest in any cue but now you can almost invest in NO cue.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
South west and szamboti are the gold standards

Jake and Larry Vigus are can't miss
trouble is finding one or talking them into
making one for you

Bob Owen cues are underpriced,beautiful and play like a dream

If you want a knock out cue ina reasonable time,for a good price from a sependable cue maker
then call Bob ,your player should be a great investment too

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
What else could his meaning have been? I see what was written.Not much gray there...
The poster is and was one of the first to buy a black boar!

He bought the most expensive one and supported black boar for years!

I can assure you he was not wishing ill on black boar. Just making reference to the trend in values with buska and gus and other makers.

He passed away recently and is not present to defend the post. R.I.P. Delaware Larry!

P.s. He was buried with his black boar! Needed a cue in heaven.

Kd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
i see alot of cohen. cohen shipped me a cue with a wobble. saw the talent and invested my money in it. got the cue and it had a two mm wobble. i thought maybe give it a few days to reset bc of the change and than i took a hard look at it and it was turned badly. maybe he didnt give a shit bc im a new yorker and hes a california guy and didnt think quality control was important enough. at least he gave me my money back. could have been a dick and tried to keep the cash. i can say that the cue had a nice hit and the shafts taper was nice though. i wanted him to build me a break cue but he seemed unintersted. didnt like my design ideas maybe.

CJH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The poster is and was one of the first to buy a black boar!

He bought the most expensive one and supported black boar for years!

I can assure you he was not wishing ill on black boar. Just making reference to the trend in values with buska and gus and other makers.

He passed away recently and is not present to defend the post. R.I.P. Delaware Larry!

P.s. He was buried with his black boar! Needed a cue in heaven.

Kd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I didn't realize his post was over a year old and I sure am sorry that he has since passed away. From your post it is evident that he probably was a friend of Tony and that his comment was innocent of ill will or hope of personal future gain from Tony's demise. That fact that he was buried with his BB cue is quite a tribute to Black Boar.
However, I still see writing/posting that as being poor form. May Delaware Larry rest in peace.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tons of grey. You're missing tons.

Do actually believe that talking about someone's upcoming death (which, if you're not familiar with the human death principle, acutally happens to us all--or, at least, I was under that impression) actually can be responsible for someone's death? Do you believe that when I was 9 years old and screamed at my mother, "I wish you were dead!" that it effected her death in any way 70 years later?

Oh my goodness. Someone at work hopes I get fired so he can get my job and spend 2 hours a day reading AzBilliards like I do. Oh my goodness, are you saying that's gonna happen? Now I'm really depressed. I'm so depressed I might just commit suicide. Help me. Help me. Mo' money, if you wouldn't mind sending me some, might save me.

Death isn't all that terrible a subject to discuss. Don't ever show up at one of my camping/fishing trips. You'd be forced to discuss death for hours on end at the campfire and what happens to old people in this country. We warehouse them. Discussing the fact that we warehouse old people doesn't make the warehousing any better or any worse--it simply makes us a little bit more aware of it's existence.

Acknowledging someone's impending death (say, for instance, a cuemaker's) doesn't have any particular effect on the cuemaker's death that I'm aware of.

You are going to die--it's a fact. And you saw it on AzBilliards. Has your life changed? Are you now more awareof your own impending death? Are you getting more depressed by the second? (In case you lack a sense of humor, I am being facetious.)

Heck, I haven't even gotten into the business aspect of it.

Why do you think people like to collect limited custom made items from any craftsman or artist? The fact that the craftsman or artist can only produce a limited supply during his or her lifetime assures the owner that an item purchased from that craftsman or artist (as long as their reputation maintains itself over time) will also maintain it's value.

Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

If I were a craftsman or artist, that is exactly what I would hope the purchasers of my product believed so I could charge a greater and more reasonable price for the effort I put into making the item.

That's a horrible thing to say to your mother! ;) Of course we never mean it when we're small. But a more proper analogy would be, "I wish you were dead... so I could collect on your insurance policy!" Sure, we're all going to die, but we're all not going to profit monetarily from someone's death. On the same token, I'm sure these artisans would like to retire first, and enjoy the fruits of their labor, before they leave this Earth!

On that subject raised, you don't think your mother may have kept that moment you said that in her mind? Even if she didn't voice an opinion on it, and she probably didn't die of it, it probably weighed on her mind that she could have raised a child that could say such a thing. Same thing about anyone else. We don't know how words can affect anyone; I'm sure it doesn't brighten anyone's day to be reminded that they will be pushing daisies someday.

Sure, we will all face our own mortality at some time. But do we have to hear about it HERE, in a billiards forum? Even in jest? It's like the Good Humorless truck just passed by. Any justification of it is just bizarre, but if it "floats your boat," so be it! I was raised where such talk amongst strangers would be considered uncouth.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Listen, I've been burned before on investments, once as a kid, collecting stamps, and twice as an adult in market crashes. No investment is ever truely safe. I'd say the cue collecting is an especially unsafe investment, as the recruitment to pool is so low and there is so much competition for peoples money these days.

Nostalgic baby boomers with tons of expendable income drove the cue prices up to an artificially high point at one point in time and as they slowly die off, lose their expendable income because of US health care policies, or simply lose interest because of old age, the cue prices will continue their downward trend until a bottom/ground floor is reached. Naturally other countries don't have policies that lead to financial ruin when you get old and sick and have more age groups involved in buying/selling cues as well as playing pool seriously, so these countries will probably have a more gradual decline in their pricing. Asia will of course prop up the cuemarket to a certain extent, as they have for a decade or more now. Old people buy cues in the US, but of course in Asia the market is more healthy and have some younger people involved. The Asian market favours expensive makers (expensive for the sake of being expensive) so the pricing will be very top heavy with little midrange to speak of.

Ordering from aging cuemakers is a risky policy, they might die before your cue is completed. Oh, please don't give me any of this sanctimonious nonsense! Every one of the collectors are circling around waiting for this or that maker to die or retire, like vultures! Of course we all pretend that nobody thinks like that, but that's the reality of the situation. If the guy dies, his stuff will be worth more. It's the nature of the collecting business.

There will always be an interest in the absolute greatest makers, but ivory policies etc makes trading them inconvenient and I think many such bans and restrictions will come in the future as well, especially on tropical hardwoods. Cues for playing will probably be made of carbon, anyways.

Invest in something with better odds of giving a return, would be my advice, but of course I have terrible luck in investments, so you better do the opposite;).. If you want a fancy cue from a famous maker, then go right ahead, but make sure you use money you don't necessarily need to get back.