Better equipment, shafts, Tips, and Kamui Chalk, but the 526 RUN RECORDS Stands?

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
What in the world are you talking about?

Once he ran 100 or 150 he was done, he'd lay his cue down, and do some trick shots. *One night,* out of thousands of appearance, the crowd urged him to keep going and he did. Mosconi didn't care about high runs, he just cared about completing his show, getting into his car, and heading to his next exhibition.

If he had kept going every time there is no telling what the record might be.

Lou Figueroa

lol, I wrote that knowing you'd chime in.....just jerking your chain a little. :smile:

It's like some of the old timers in the Norfolk area when talking about Wimpy, they'd swear he never missed a ball.....EVER. Same with Willie for some people (you) :wink:. If someone ever does break the record, it'll no doubt have an asterisk beside it saying "not Lou Figueroa approved".

When are we gonna have a straight pool rematch?

DTL

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol, I wrote that knowing you'd chime in.....just jerking your chain a little. :smile:

It's like some of the old timers in the Norfolk area when talking about Wimpy, they'd swear he never missed a ball.....EVER. Same with Willie for some people (you) :wink:. If someone ever does break the record, it'll no doubt have an asterisk beside it saying "not Lou Figueroa approved".

When are we gonna have a straight pool rematch?

DTL

Jerking someone's chain is called trolling nowadays. And I doubt that's what you were doing. It is far more likely you just didn't know what you're talking about.

As to the record, I believe records are meant to be broken, so go pound sand. As an ex-Navy man you should know how to do that :)

Lou Figueroa

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
Well for starters, there are indoor and outdoor world records in track. Also, if the wind speed is too great, the time of the race cannot count towards a world record, so certain conditions must be met.

In swimming, many records have been because of the swimwear that was worn for a time that gave too great an advantage. Those suits are now illegal. So again, certain conditions must be met.

In cycling, the hour record had to be regulated because of advancements in equipment and now has to be set on equipment on par with 1972 technology.

So there is definitely precedent.

Ok so there are conditions that have to be met - in todays environment of equipment, what conditions are not being met?

Are todays pockets illegal because they are too small? Simonis too fast?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... And with a little practice was able to beat a seven time snooker champion on a 6'x12' in a multi-day event. ...

You're talking about Rex Williams. He was the "World Professional Billiards Champion" (English Billiards, not snooker) 7 times. He also played snooker at a high level, but never won the world championship. [Yes, in Willie's autobiography he calls Williams "the world's professional snooker champion." So that was a mistake, a misunderstanding, or a bit of exaggeration.]

In the event you mentioned, Rex and Willie went to 6 different cities in 17 days, playing 3 games of snooker and one game of 14.1 in each city. At the end of the tour, the score was 6-0 Mosconi in 14.1 and 11-7 Williams in snooker. I don't know whether all of the snooker games were played on 12-footers.

Mosconi was about 60 at the time, 20 years older than Williams.

Sources -- Willie's autobiography and Wikipedia]

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a little https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF7k8-nL28Y (you posted your run recently when someone questioned your knowledge/ability).

No rematch?

(sigh) I cannot believe I have to say this out loud but here it is... questioning someone's ability to play and questioning someone's knowledge concerning the history of the game are two entirely different things.

You out played me 35 years ago. You'd most likely out play me today. But I think I could spot you something when it came to the history and lore of pocket billiards, particularly when it comes to Mr. Mosconi.

If you're ever in town let me know We can play some 1pocket.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're talking about Rex Williams. He was the "World Professional Billiards Champion" (English Billiards, not snooker) 7 times. He also played snooker at a high level, but never won the world championship. [Yes, in Willie's autobiography he calls Williams "the world's professional snooker champion." So that was a mistake, a misunderstanding, or a bit of exaggeration.]

In the event you mentioned, Rex and Willie went to 6 different cities in 17 days, playing 3 games of snooker and one game of 14.1 in each city. At the end of the tour, the score was 6-0 Mosconi in 14.1 and 11-7 Williams in snooker. I don't know whether all of the snooker games were played on 12-footers.

Mosconi was about 60 at the time, 20 years older than Williams.

Sources -- Willie's autobiography and Wikipedia]

I stand corrected on his titles, though I do recall reading that he was an accomplished snooker player. Curiously, in a bit of cross-thread serendipity, back in the 80's, Williams confessed to using beta-blockers.

Lou Figueroa

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I stand corrected on his titles, though I do recall reading that he was an accomplished snooker player. Curiously, in a bit of cross-thread serendipity, back in the 80's, Williams confessed to using beta-blockers.

Lou Figueroa

Yes, Williams made it to the semifinals in the snooker world championship twice.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's simple, back then the pockets were buckets ��

On some, if not most equipment back then, the pockets were generous. But not all.

And I myself have argued that many of the old-timers wouldn't do so good nowadays on the tables with smaller pockets and deeper shelves. But there are some champions to whom that does not apply. They'd still be world beaters.

Lou Figueroa

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On some, if not most equipment back then, the pockets were generous. But not all.

And I myself have argued that many of the old-timers wouldn't do so good nowadays on the tables with smaller pockets and deeper shelves. But there are some champions to whom that does not apply. They'd still be world beaters.

Lou Figueroa
Yeah, how many of today's top pros would bother going for a 14.1 high run on an 8-foot table with 5-1/4 inch pockets? Very few, unless there was a significant monetary incentive being offered. John Schmidt appears to be the only one who currently has shown a serious interest in attempting to break this record. I'm not aware if his attempts have been on a similarly spec'd table as Mosconi recorded his 526, if anyone knows?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, how many of today's top pros would bother going for a 14.1 high run on an 8-foot table with 5-1/4 inch pockets? Very few, unless there was a significant monetary incentive being offered. John Schmidt appears to be the only one who currently has shown a serious interest in attempting to break this record. I'm not aware if his attempts have been on a similarly spec'd table as Mosconi recorded his 526, if anyone knows?

Seriously?

How many of the top guys -- who still play 14.1 (you can name them) -- wouldn't give their left nut to be the guy to be able to claim he legitamaly beat the 526, for *nuthin*?

Lou Figueroa

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
His current and former attempts are on a 4.5x9-foot Rebco with "generous" pockets. Personally I find the Rebcos in that room have strange pockets and some balls don't drop that I think should but I haven't played on that table since John's tries started.

speedy5963

speedy5963
Silver Member
His current and former attempts are on a 4.5x9-foot Rebco with "generous" pockets. Personally I find the Rebcos in that room have strange pockets and some balls don't drop that I think should but I haven't played on that table since John's tries started.

The Rebcos there have very deep shelves and you are correct about balls holding up that would generally drop on other tables. John was playing some last night, not sure how it went, was a busy evening there

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I for one think that Mosconi's record can and some day will be broken. The main problem I see with the attempts being made today is the player starts with a break shot. That's an advantage Mosconi didn't have to start his run. That one fact alone would taint any new record for authenticity. Another problem is all the multiple attempts being made, one after another. Mosconi set his record as a continuation of a regular exhibition match. He would typically play one match a day on his exhibition tours, four or five days a week, for a month or more. He didn't get to try over and over each day to set a record. Almost exclusively, when he reached 150 points during an exhibition Mosconi would put his cue down. He had done his job, which was almost always the result of a 100+ ball run to end the match. And he did this every day!! In my mind, his most amazing feat is the thousands of times he ran 100+ balls. I'm sure he far surpasses whoever is second on this list.

I wonder what his record might be if he kept on shooting every day after he had reached 150, and was already on a long run. I had the good fortune to play an exhibition against the great Mosconi in 1968. He was probably well into his 50's then. Willie had a well rehearsed routine he would go through before starting the Straight Pool match. It consisted of maybe a dozen trick shots, most of which he made on the first try (he set each one up quickly and adroitly), some wing shots, a masse shot or two and a dialogue with the crowd about his personal history in Pool. If questioned about Fats, he would get agitated and dismiss him as an entertainer and imposter.

He won the lag, broke and deliberately left me a long cut shot on the corner ball. I missed badly and he ran 19 balls and left me with an open rack. I ran 3 and missed. He then proceeded to run a picture perfect 131 and out, never once getting seriously out of line. He easily could have run many more balls that day. We were playing on a GC1 with 5" pockets. It took a very good player to run 100 balls on that table. Willie did it on his second turn at the table and probably could have done it on his first inning as well.

I saw Joe Balsis, Cicero Murphy, Irving Crane, Jimmy Caras, Luther Lassiter, Steve Mizerak and Mike Sigel play in competition and none of them impressed me as much as Mosconi. His cue ball control was BETTER than Efren and his shot making was as good as an Orcullo or SVB. :yes:

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I know a little https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF7k8-nL28Y (you posted your run recently when someone questioned your knowledge/ability).

No rematch?

I wish my table and the ones I play on regularly played like yours...Fast & Loose... Congrats on a nice run. The one thing you can't take away is that it's not a given that you'll have a nice angled break shot for continual racks..Kudo's on that.:thumbup2:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
His current and former attempts are on a 4.5x9-foot Rebco with "generous" pockets. ...

John Schmidt just set a new personal record of 407. The last time he ran over 400 was 11 years ago. He ran over 100 eleven times last Sunday including two 200+runs.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Schmidt just set a new personal record of 407. The last time he ran over 400 was 11 years ago. He ran over 100 eleven times last Sunday including two 200+runs.

nice! eleven times in one day..man, that's stamina there. I'm guessing he shoots pretty quick?

bstroud

Deceased
I for one think that Mosconi's record can and some day will be broken. The main problem I see with the attempts being made today is the player starts with a break shot. That's an advantage Mosconi didn't have to start his run. That one fact alone would taint any new record for authenticity. Another problem is all the multiple attempts being made, one after another. Mosconi set his record as a continuation of a regular exhibition match. He would typically play one match a day on his exhibition tours, four or five days a week, for a month or more. He didn't get to try over and over each day to set a record. Almost exclusively, when he reached 150 points during an exhibition Mosconi would put his cue down. He had done his job, which was almost always the result of a 100+ ball run to end the match. And he did this every day!! In my mind, his most amazing feat is the thousands of times he ran 100+ balls. I'm sure he far surpasses whoever is second on this list.

I wonder what his record might be if he kept on shooting every day after he had reached 150, and was already on a long run. I had the good fortune to play an exhibition against the great Mosconi in 1968. He was probably well into his 50's then. Willie had a well rehearsed routine he would go through before starting the Straight Pool match. It consisted of maybe a dozen trick shots, most of which he made on the first try (he set each one up quickly and adroitly), some wing shots, a masse shot or two and a dialogue with the crowd about his personal history in Pool. If questioned about Fats, he would get agitated and dismiss him as an entertainer and imposter.

He won the lag, broke and deliberately left me a long cut shot on the corner ball. I missed badly and he ran 19 balls and left me with an open rack. I ran 3 and missed. He then proceeded to run a picture perfect 131 and out, never once getting seriously out of line. He easily could have run many more balls that day. We were playing on a GC1 with 5" pockets. It took a very good player to run 100 balls on that table. Willie did it on his second turn at the table and probably could have done it on his first inning as well.

I saw Joe Balsis, Cicero Murphy, Irving Crane, Jimmy Caras, Luther Lassiter, Steve Mizerak and Mike Sigel play in competition and none of them impressed me as much as Mosconi. His cue ball control was BETTER than Efren and his shot making was as good as an Orcullo or SVB. :yes:

Jay,

I think you saw the same Mosconi I did.

Bill S.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you would like to see it broken, put 5k up and see how long it lasts:smile:

I am sure if the prize was something even larger like $250,000 or $526,000, it would have been done a while back.

In my opinion straight pool is something of a dying game compared to what it used to be. Such a better game than 9ball :frown: