Billy Incardona is Hall of Fame worthy

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
Aren't we all somewhat defined by our careers? Especially by careers which last fifty plus years? Consider your own career and how you would feel should someone accuse you of some underhandedness which involved you and that career you worked hard to protect. And suppose you happen to be one of the elites of this field of work. Now suppose this accusation was offered up in a web site devoted to that particular career where all of your peers will be exposed to this unsubstantiated allegation. Would your opinion about your frame of reference then change?

Tom

What he said. :thumbup:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Aren't we all somewhat defined by our careers? Especially by careers which last fifty plus years? Consider your own career and how you would feel should someone accuse you of some underhandedness which involved you and that career you worked hard to protect. And suppose you happen to be one of the elites of this field of work. Now suppose this accusation was offered up in a web site devoted to that particular career where all of your peers will be exposed to this unsubstantiated allegation. Would your opinion about your frame of reference then change?

Tom

Everything was fine here until the Fart posted....but ya know what ...like gas it'll pass. Some people break wind from their mouth & rear end. The air will clear.

Quick hi-jack....you should be in the HOF. Your game/contributions and integrity. Your passion to 1P. Your support and loyalty to your colleagues and friends.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow, just looked through some of these posts and was a little shocked at the accusations, and that any of them needs defending. Just so you know, I first saw Billy practicing on a snooker table at The Rack (yes, that one in Oak Park, MI, my home town) in the early 70's. I was amazed at his demeanor at the table and the way he struck balls perfectly at any speed all while standing like a rock at the table. His wide spread legs providing the perfect balance and power. So I've known of Billy for a very long time.

Speaking of The Rack, many players who frequented that room were after the money and there was business being done as the stakes were high...and I mean high! - that was a fact. So what? That was the way it was back then (and maybe now) and nobody gave it a second thought. ~What's that have to do with being Hall of Fame worthy?~ It's a tough life and that's how some made their money, or at least their nut to try to make more. If you look back, you may be shocked how many of the current HoF group has done business in the past. Who cares and why is this need defending?

I have no idea if Billy has done business in the past and I don't give a rat's a$$ if he did and neither should the pool world. If so, that would be such a small percent of what he has acheived and given back to the game it's a joke.

Billy deserves to be in the Hall of Fame 100%
- great player (one of the best i the 70's during its heyday & feared by his peers)
- great commentator (has entertained and educated all of us -1pocket; 9-ball; etc.)
- great human (supporting those in need especially his friends, even with him and his family going through tragedy)
- lifetime achievement award at a minimum (he's old)
- you get the idea :) (y)

Billy,
If I were you I would simply thank those that support you (I being one) and those bringing this to the attention of the Hall of Fame commitee and not spend another second defending any negative posts. You've handled it beautifully, but enough is enough. You know when to fold 'em, don't you?

Thank you, "Cardone" for all you have done and continue doing. I personally have enjoyed you for over 45 years.

Dave

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I started my career an old timer told me that opinions are like assholes and elbows. Everybodies got one. Some people have two.
:D

So tagging onto that statement; Internet forums are like drug stores. They all have some douchebags, and some have an entire shelf of them..... :thumbup:

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Everything was fine here until the Fart posted....but ya know what ...like gas it'll pass. Some people break wind from their mouth & rear end. The air will clear.

Quick hi-jack....you should be in the HOF. Your game/contributions and integrity. Your passion to 1P. Your support and loyalty to your colleagues and friends.

Like Freddie said, there's a whole lot more to it than just having the credentials, unfortunately. Bill definitely ( MHO ) belongs. So does Grady. So does Joe Kerr and a whole lot of others, most of whom will probably never get in. And that's a shame. But people spend a lifetime building and honing a reputation. For some it's upstanding, for others it's less stellar. As I said earlier, I don't know Bill Incardona. But I know *of* him. And I never heard one bad thing about him from anybody, anywhere, ever. And when it comes to pool, I've been around a bit. Not on the scale of some, maybe, but more than a lot of others. And I never heard one bad thing about him.

I hope he gets in. No idea if he will. But the idea that someone can come in here, undercover, and slur someone's reputation to the degree this guy has and expect everyone to just kind of say... hey, that's your opinion and you're welcome to it? Probably expecting a bit much. Bill has a lot of friends and that's saying something right there. This guy that's been spouting off is probably lucky to count his friends on one hand with three or four fingers left over.

IMHO, of course.

Last edited:

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
So tagging onto that statement; Internet forums are like drug stores. They all have some douchebags, and some have an entire shelf of them..... :thumbup:

Thanks Chuck. :rolleyes: I tried to erase that comment. It didn't fit with the nice sentiments in the previous post.:smile:

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
I've known Billy and been good friends with him for over 50 years, we were both around ALL the action at the 'Rack' back in the day in Detroit! He's ALWAYS been a stand-up guy, and handled himself as good as any player and better than most, back then an now! He deserves to be inducted as much as any player when they were in they're prime!

Last edited:

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

Wow, just read the entire thread. Never thought I'd find the tip of the tail.
Thought I was going to be stuck where the tail begins ...

I've played around at pool since the summer of 1962, I were 13 that year.
Have always had a fondness for the clickity-click of the balls, watchin'em
runnin' here an there. Sat and watched in complete awe whenever I could
watch "The Pros" on Wide World of Sports and other shows. You got it,
hobbyist, one of the lambs that would be lead to slaughter ... but I always
had fun doin' it! Contrary to popular belief there are NO pool tables on Naval vessels
or I wold have a lot more experience.

I've enjoyed many hours of the Acc-u-stats films (youtube), and have found
Mr. B. I's commentary to be insightful, thoughtful, and most of all knowledgeable.
You don't get there by sittin' on yer thumbs for several decades.His knowledge is that
of one that has been there done that don't need no stinkin' T-shirt.

I'd like to see him get into the HOF, someone needs to do the term paper Mr. Jewett
mentioned aw while ago.

hank hoyt

firmly believe that ya gotta know the BASICS before you can do anything else...
thats why I use The Basics as a handle to remind me.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Wow, just looked through some of these posts and was a little shocked at the accusations, and that any of them needs defending. Just so you know, I first saw Billy practicing on a snooker table at The Rack (yes, that one in Oak Park, MI, my home town) in the early 70's. I was amazed at his demeanor at the table and the way he struck balls perfectly at any speed all while standing like a rock at the table. His wide spread legs providing the perfect balance and power. So I've known of Billy for a very long time.

Speaking of The Rack, many players who frequented that room were after the money and there was business being done as the stakes were high...and I mean high! - that was a fact. So what? That was the way it was back then (and maybe now) and nobody gave it a second thought. ~What's that have to do with being Hall of Fame worthy?~ It's a tough life and that's how some made their money, or at least their nut to try to make more. If you look back, you may be shocked how many of the current HoF group has done business in the past. Who cares and why is this need defending?

I have no idea if Billy has done business in the past and I don't give a rat's a$$ if he did and neither should the pool world. If so, that would be such a small percent of what he has acheived and given back to the game it's a joke.

Billy deserves to be in the Hall of Fame 100%
- great player (one of the best i the 70's during its heyday & feared by his peers)
- great commentator (has entertained and educated all of us -1pocket; 9-ball; etc.)
- great human (supporting those in need especially his friends, even with him and his family going through tragedy)
- lifetime achievement award at a minimum (he's old)
- you get the idea :) (y)

Billy,
If I were you I would simply thank those that support you (I being one) and those bringing this to the attention of the Hall of Fame commitee and not spend another second defending any negative posts. You've handled it beautifully, but enough is enough. You know when to fold 'em, don't you?

Thank you, "Cardone" for all you have done and continue doing. I personally have enjoyed you for over 45 years.

Dave

This is a world class post. Thanks Dave.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember back in 2002, I think it was my first U.S. Open. Two pool stars were playing on the TV table, and the place was literally packed. I managed to squeeze on up in the bleachers right in front of the TV table on the end of an aisle. What a great view!

Along comes Billy Incardona. I was introduced to him through Keith. He sat down next to me at the end of the aisle. As the match was in progress, I asked Billy a question about the rules. Yes, I wsa a little green back then when it came to professional pool. :eek:

Billy proceeded to explain the rules and commentate on what was happening while the match was in progress. It was so cool. It was like I had my own private commentator sitting next to me, and I could ask questions whenever I wanted and get an answer to my queries. Wow! :cool:

As time went on, Keith and I attended more and more events on the professional tournament trail, and I got to know Billy better. What a gentleman! At Keith's One-Pocket Hall of Fame dinner speech, he stated that Billy was the best 9-ball player in the country when Keith was growing up. Coming from Keith, that is a very strong accolade.

I know many of pool's fourth estate, and we are all members of the Tribal Nation of Pool. I respect that, but I am disappointed, I guess, that there are not more Americans inducted into the Billiard Congress of AMERICA's Hall of Fame, number one. Number two, it seems like American thoroughbred pool legends like Billy, Grady, Kim Davenport, Shannon Daulton, Mary Kenniston, and a few others who have devoted their life to pool, played in tournament as well as contributed in many other ways in the autumn of their life are overlooked for our foreign brethren of pool players, some younger than my daughter, and industry members' darlings, those who wine and dine the industry members at pool events.

The people's choice doesn't matter, it seems. I am reminded of Alex Higgins, considered a "bad boy" in snooker, yet when he passed away, the entire world mourned. What a shame people are given tribute for their contributions to their chosen live's path after they are deceased. :sorry:

Attachments

• Billy and Keith.JPG
    Billy and Keith.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 250
  • Keith and Billy at 2003 US Open.JPG
    Keith and Billy at 2003 US Open.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 250

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I remember back in 2002, I think it was my first U.S. Open. Two pool stars were playing on the TV table, and the place was literally packed. I managed to squeeze on up in the bleachers right in front of the TV table on the end of an aisle. What a great view!

Along comes Billy Incardona. I was introduced to him through Keith. He sat down next to me at the end of the aisle. As the match was in progress, I asked Billy a question about the rules. Yes, I wsa a little green back then when it came to professional pool. :eek:

Billy proceeded to explain the rules and commentate on what was happening while the match was in progress. It was so cool. It was like I had my own private commentator sitting next to me, and I could ask questions whenever I wanted and get an answer to my queries. Wow! :cool:

As time went on, Keith and I attended more and more events on the professional tournament trail, and I got to know Billy better. What a gentleman! At Keith's One-Pocket Hall of Fame dinner speech, he stated that Billy was the best 9-ball player in the country when Keith was growing up. Coming from Keith, that is a very strong accolade.

I know many of pool's fourth estate, and we are all members of the Tribal Nation of Pool. I respect that, but I am disappointed, I guess, that there are not more Americans inducted into the Billiard Congress of AMERICA's Hall of Fame, number one. Number two, it seems like American thoroughbred pool legends like Billy, Grady, Kim Davenport, Shannon Daulton, Mary Kenniston, and a few others who have devoted their life to pool, played in tournament as well as contributed in many other ways in the autumn of their life are overlooked for our foreign brethren of pool players, some younger than my daughter, and industry members' darlings, those who wine and dine the industry members at pool events.

The people's choice doesn't matter, it seems. I am reminded of Alex Higgins, considered a "bad boy" in snooker, yet when he passed away, the entire world mourned. What a shame people are given tribute for their contributions to their chosen live's path after they are deceased. :sorry:

Truer words never spoken, JAM. Thanks for speaking up.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aren't we all somewhat defined by our careers? Especially by careers which last fifty plus years? Consider any other career and how someone would feel should they be publicly accused of some underhandedness which involved that career And suppose this maligned person happen to be one of the elites of this field of work. Now suppose this accusation was offered up in a web site devoted to that particular career where all of his peers will be exposed to this unsubstantiated allegation. What then?
Tom
I have edited this post because I thought better of directing it toward Low500. I should not have done that so I have made changes to reflect a more generalized question. My apologies to you Low500. You sound like a reasonable person making a reasonable point.
Just concerning the stuff I highlighted in blue....It happens everyday, my man.
A middle aged man in a position in government is teased by a 16 year old honey (in a state where the legal age of consent is 16) and he gets involved with her. Later she gets religion and exposes this affair. Suddenly she becomes "Joan of Arc" and he gets labeled as a "child molestor". And he didn't molest anyone...especially any "child". It's just human nature to trash him.
A man like Pete Rose makes baseball bets...on his own team. Like Cobb, Jackie Robinson, Mantle, did. Yet, Rose gets "caught"....is labeled a bad bad gambler and is prevented from being in Cooperstown. It's just human nature to trash him.
A well known ex-president of our country was involved over and over with various women while he was married. "Everyone" who adored him just winked and said slyly..."what a stud....what a guy". Yet with the prez in office now, some bimbo from the past (when he wasn't even married) pops up and starts the noise about this big affair they had with all the sordid details and that makes him "morally unfit" for the job
It's just human nature, pardner.
Incardona is a credit to the game....a great commentator. And in my opinion far better than one of the sacred cows on this site as well as being a great player and smart bettor.
This game of pool has betting going along with it...just like horse racing, or football, or basketball, or baseball. In my opinion...so what??
Nobody twisted anybody's arm to ever get into action with 9-Ball Billy...he didn't hold a gun to their head and demand that they play or else. He's just a guy who used his brains to make a living at a game he loved. It's just human nature for some to trash him.
I say put "9-Ball Billy" in the HOF and leave the poor devil alone...he isn't bothering a soul.
And that's the name of that tune. :thumbup:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What a shame people are given tribute for their contributions to their chosen live's path after they are deceased. :sorry:

Yep...recognize/celebrate and enjoy life while alive. Life is for the living.

Last edited:

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A middle aged man in a position in government is teased by a 16 year old honey (in a state where the legal age of consent is 16) and he gets involved with her. Later she gets religion and exposes this affair. Suddenly she becomes "Joan of Arc" and he gets labeled as a "child molestor". And he didn't molest anyone...especially any "child". It's just human nature to trash him.
A man like Pete Rose makes baseball bets...on his own team. Like Cobb, Jackie Robinson, Mantle, did. Yet, Rose gets "caught"....is labeled a bad bad gambler and is prevented from being in Cooperstown. It's just human nature to trash him.
A well known ex-president of our country was involved over and over with various women while he was married. "Everyone" who adored him just winked and said slyly..."what a stud....what a guy". Yet with the prez in office now, some bimbo from the past (when he wasn't even married) pops up and starts the noise about this big affair they had with all the sordid details and that makes him "morally unfit" for the job
Incardona is a credit to the game....a great commentator. And in my opinion far better than one of the sacred cows on this site as well as being a great player and smart bettor.
This game of pool has betting going along with it...just like horse racing, or football, or basketball, or baseball. In my opinion...so what??
Nobody twisted anybody's arm to ever get into action with 9-Ball Billy...he didn't hold a gun to their head and demand that they play or else. He's just a guy who used his brains to make a living at a game he loved. It's just human nature for some to trash him.
I say put "9-Ball Billy" in the HOF and leave the poor devil alone...he isn't bothering a soul.
And that's the name of that tune. :thumbup:[/QUOT

A middle age man banging a 16 year old “honey” is called a predator in any state. Wtf dude.

And Grady should go in along with BI. And I’ve heard dozens of stories of Grady carrying wigs and what not so he could hustle Pool and make a living. And I’m cool with that and him still getting in. You have to look at the whole body of work. When you do that both of these guys should be in.

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And that's the name of that tune. :thumbup:

I agree with what you say. It is human nature. It doesn't make it right, and in my opinion it is worse when those involved in this behavior are members of the same "tribe" They.need to be called out and the maligned defended by those who know better. The next time it could be you or me.

Tom

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I agree with what you say. It is human nature. It doesn't make it right, and in my opinion it is worse when those involved in this behavior are members of the same "tribe" They.need to be called out and the maligned defended by those who know better. The next time it could be you or me.

Tom

Well, the perpetrator is now banned thanks to the administrator-types who run this site, so... I for one am glad it's, by and large, over with. Bill can go back to doing great, insightful commentary and we can all go back to arguing/discussing the size of break-boxes, how age affects yer stroke and why the money ball seems to hate us ( sometimes ). :grin:

wincardona

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Firstly I would like to thank everyone that came forth and endorsed my character, it means a lot to me and I'm proud to be associated with so many wonderful people. There were many people that only knew of me and their endorsements made me feel accepted which is comforting. Then there were many people that know me and there endorsements made me feel that what we do in life and how we handle ourselves will come to light and all of you guys made me feel special, I'm humbled and appreciate everyone of you big time.

Like I mentioned in this thread, there are many people that are deserving to be inducted, I am happy to be one of them. I have never promoted myself to be nominated for induction I personally think that being nominated should come natural without having to market yourself, after all self proclaimed promoting is way overrated when it comes down to the pickens. Of course I would like very much to be inducted who wouldn't, I spent much of my life playing pool, doing commentary, and and supporting the game and the players that play it not because of any self serving reason but because it is a passion I have, and still do. If I'm inducted it will be the icing on the cake. And confirmation that my efforts and passion were well received and for that reason I would be humbled and ecstatic. If not I will continue to do all the things that I do in the pool world for as long as my fire burns. I still have the passion to educate, entertain, and support the game, the players that play the game, and the people that enjoy what professional pool has to offer.

Thank you,
Bill Incardona