Bobby Legg.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bobby came to Baltimore in the early 90s, and he stayed for about 20 years.

Bobby and Cigar Tom had a lot of battles through those years of playing even 9 ball, and I seen every one of them, they were always very close sets when these two played.

They had total different styles, Bobby was a power player as Tom was more of a finess player, but they were very equal when it came to how good they played, it was a toss up on who would win, they took turns on winning, they were very close to even for all the times they played each other.

Around 2000 they went to vegas together to be on the same team, 2 man team, they won it all!

Bobby was a great guy as is Tom!

And who ever thanks T .Vanover couldnt play just ask Rempe, Strickland or Sigel.

We all know how Bobby played, he wasn't under the radar somewhat like Tom was!

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I've seen Bobby play bar box, 9-foot, and 6x12 snooker.
I've seen him miss, but I have never seen him dog it.
For some reason 'heart' doesn't come to my mind when I think of Mr Leggs.....
...in his case I call it stomach..
...he would have made a good soldier.

SWRLE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen Bobby play bar box, 9-foot, and 6x12 snooker.
I've seen him miss, but I have never seen him dog it.
For some reason 'heart' doesn't come to my mind when I think of Mr Leggs.....
...in his case I call it stomach..
...he would have made a good soldier.

Bobby won one of the Steve Miserak senior tour events in the late 90s down in Biloxi. I think it's the only one he played in.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Both great players, I never considered Tom under the radar though

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I and my compatriots was a young'ns, every time we had to come with a super tuff shot, we'd holler, 'bobby legg!.

I still do it now, but only when I bust a nut. No, not really.

John Brumback

Silver Member
I played Bobby quite a few times in the early 80's. We ran into each other at alot of the same tourneys back then. We would play from 200 to 400$ sets of 9ball,race to 9 or 11,putting up at least 2 sets. He was tough action and liked to play forever. One time we were down in NC somewhere and we started our sets,playing 2 sets ahead for 400.Well this went on for like 10 or 12 hrs and we had to come back and play in the tourney the next morning...well we're even after all this time and I'm tired as hell and wanting to quit anyway ( I'm thinking I'm going to blow the set at this point,I'm dog tired),but not Bobby...he's goes to the bathroom to get freshened up:p Well I ease over to his stakehorse and ask him if he wouldn't mind just calling it quits for the night and we can play again some other time. He says ok...I couldn't grab my $ off the light fast enough:D
Oh shit....! here comes Bobby out of the bathroom and sees me grabbing my $!! I thought he was going to go through the roof!! We had the $ froze up see,but his backer let me take my $ down. I'm still laughing to this day when I think about. We played again on down the road the next time and the next time. He was a good fun guy to play and to be around.He spun the ball more than Efren and he could draw it with Mike Massey.I miss them ol days.... John B.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well good grief, john brumback...here I thought all you could play was bank pool...and one pocket...and 8 ball...and anything else on a damn pool table!

How's your 3cushion game?

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both great players, I never considered Tom under the radar though

Some what under the radar, there was players out west who didn't know who Tom was.

The reason I did say some what under the radar, was because Tom very seldom went outside of his pool room, he went to the US open a few times though.

Bobby or Tom would play anybody that came in town looking for a game, and it didn't matter who it was, they got played!

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I played Bobby quite a few times in the early 80's. We ran into each other at alot of the same tourneys back then. We would play from 200 to 400$ sets of 9ball,race to 9 or 11,putting up at least 2 sets. He was tough action and liked to play forever. One time we were down in NC somewhere and we started our sets,playing 2 sets ahead for 400.Well this went on for like 10 or 12 hrs and we had to come back and play in the tourney the next morning...well we're even after all this time and I'm tired as hell and wanting to quit anyway ( I'm thinking I'm going to blow the set at this point,I'm dog tired),but not Bobby...he's goes to the bathroom to get freshened up:p Well I ease over to his stakehorse and ask him if he wouldn't mind just calling it quits for the night and we can play again some other time. He says ok...I couldn't grab my $ off the light fast enough:D
Oh shit....! here comes Bobby out of the bathroom and sees me grabbing my $!! I thought he was going to go through the roof!! We had the $ froze up see,but his backer let me take my $ down. I'm still laughing to this day when I think about. We played again on down the road the next time and the next time. He was a good fun guy to play and to be around.He spun the ball more than Efren and he could draw it with Mike Massey.I miss them ol days.... John B.

I played Bobby Leggs in a BCA pool league 8 ball tournament open years ago and he sharked me continuously with his 'hand flashes' until I couldn't take it anymore and confronted him with it. He wailed and said he would go on the other side of the tape so I couldn't see him breathe. :D

He beat me solidly but didn't have to. I was so steamed with his sharking I couldn't make a ball. Oh well RIP Bobby Leggs....

JoeyA

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played Bobby Leggs in a BCA pool league 8 ball tournament open years ago and he sharked me continuously with his 'hand flashes' until I couldn't take it anymore and confronted him with it. He wailed and said he would go on the other side of the tape so I couldn't see him breathe. :D

He beat me solidly but didn't have to. I was so steamed with his sharking I couldn't make a ball. Oh well RIP Bobby Leggs....

JoeyA

Hate to hear this, cause that wasn't the Bobby I knew.

I seen him play a lot of times, against some really tough players and nothing of this sort or anything else happen.

I believe you Joey as you have no reason to lie, Bobby was always a class act here when he played, now he would get mad at himself when he did something stupid, but i never seen him bother his opponent .Maybe that was the Bobby before he came to Baltimore.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised no one has come up with the "good players can't be sharked" , routine.
The only time I ever saw anyone overcome a good sharker, was when they were stealing.
Seasoned players , will usually get up, walk it off , reset and go ahead and make the ball , but when you have a guy who really knows how to do it, eventually they start to get to anyone.
For me, it's not so much the move , it's the showing of disrespect.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bobby Legg and Patch-Eye from Philadelphia came to my place to match up with me in the mid 80s . We played around the clock. I played Bobby Nine-Ball on a big table and I played Patch-Eye One-Hole. Those were the days....

There is a legendary story about Bobby Legg playing Mexican Joe Nine-Ball on a bar-box in mid 70s. I talked to a number of people who were there that witnessed the spectacle. Is there anyone here who also knows the story?

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bobby Legg and Patch-Eye from Philadelphia came to my place to match up with me in the mid 80s . We played around the clock. I played Bobby Nine-Ball on a big table and I played Patch-Eye One-Hole. Those were the days....

There is a legendary story about Bobby Legg playing Mexican Joe Nine-Ball on a bar-box in mid 70s. I talked to a number of people who were there that witnessed the spectacle. Is there anyone here who also knows the story?

I never heard it, please tell us.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I'm surprised no one has come up with the "good players can't be sharked" , routine.
The only time I ever saw anyone overcome a good sharker, was when they were stealing.
Seasoned players , will usually get up, walk it off , reset and go ahead and make the ball , but when you have a guy who really knows how to do it, eventually they start to get to anyone.
For me, it's not so much the move , it's the showing of disrespect.

I agree with this in red 100%

when someone "Sharks" they change the outcome from who is "BEST" to who is "Biggest/Baddest/Meanest/Tuffist/dirtiest" I come to play pool not for a boxing match. Money does funny things to people and for a couple bucks, These guys will turn it into a fight. With the sharking players and un-sportsman like conduct in pool matches, you really must ask why put yourself through it??? Honestly, there are some really great players that I run the other way from and cringe when we meet on the tournament trail, simply because they are cheats and more headache then it is worth!!!

Sad but true!

KD

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with this in red 100%

when someone "Sharks" they change the outcome from who is "BEST" to who is "Biggest/Baddest/Meanest/Tuffist/dirtiest" I come to play pool not for a boxing match. Money does funny things to people and for a couple bucks, These guys will turn it into a fight. With the sharking players and un-sportsman like conduct in pool matches, you really must ask why put yourself through it??? Honestly, there are some really great players that I run the other way from and cringe when we meet on the tournament trail, simply because they are cheats and more headache then it is worth!!!

Sad but true!

KD
Hey, stop telling everybody my secrets!

Like the almost great Seattle Sam said, after getting caught trying to cheat:
You play too good, I gotta cheat. How else am I gonna win?
:eek:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, stop telling everybody my secrets!

Like the almost great Seattle Sam said, after getting caught trying to cheat:
You play too good, I gotta cheat. How else am I gonna win?
:eek:

I have a funny story about Seattle Sam playing cards with another in my basement, heads-up Tonk. Geese was also there. Remind me to tell you someday, which may be in the very near future, when you least expect it. :grin-square:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Hate to hear this, cause that wasn't the Bobby I knew.

I seen him play a lot of times, against some really tough players and nothing of this sort or anything else happen.

I believe you Joey as you have no reason to lie, Bobby was always a class act here when he played, now he would get mad at himself when he did something stupid, but i never seen him bother his opponent .Maybe that was the Bobby before he came to Baltimore.

That's good to know richiebalto. Thanks for telling me about a Bobby Leggs that I unfortunately, never got to meet.

JoeyA