Jp’s 24 inlays x 3 = 72

Total 243

guy

Guy, rings at a,b,c,d,and e for 80 instead of 96. Total 227

Last edited:

guycrunch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
two shafts, one more ring. i know only one shaft at a time on the cue, but i'm looking at total.

guy

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Well you know the cue is going to play like a Balabushka on steroids. Plus it looks like a million bucks...

It's a great cue. Could have used bridged veneers.... :p

JV

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I saw this cue at the Searing shop earlier in the year. I was wondering when these cue photos would show up. It is a very fabulous cue with incredible detail that looks so much better with finish and a wrap! I'd bet that the number of hours that went into building the cue far exceed the number of inlays in it. In fact, there is probably a week's labor in the joint protectors alone! I hope you get great enjoyment from playing/ owning it.

Martin

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
that's what i have:

Name 7 inlays
Each butt window 9 inlays x4 = 36
Points 8 inlays x 4 =32
Rings 16 inlays x 6 = 96

Jp’s 24 inlays x 3 = 72

Total 243

guy

Here's one way of counting that adds to the total.

Each of the 4 butt windows contains 20 pieces of veneer, so we may have to add 80 for that.

Each of the 4 points is an inlaid structure consisting of the "veneers" and the ebony. I can't tell how the "veneers" were made, so I don't know how many "inlays" to count for that, but it would seem to add up to at least a couple dozen in total.

So these two items could be said to add over a hundred more "inlays" to guycrunch's count of 243.

[8/10/10 edit: In a later post in this thread, Dennis states that the inlay count is 243. So guycrunch's count was the same as Dennis' count, and veneers are not included in their counts.]

Last edited:

classiccues

Silver Member

Each of the 4 butt windows contains 20 pieces of veneer, so we may have to add 80 for that.

Each of the 4 points is an inlaid structure consisting of the "veneers" and the ebony. I can't tell how the "veneers" were made, so I don't know how many "inlays" to count for that, but it would seem to add up to at least a couple dozen in total.

So these two items could be said to add over a hundred more "inlays" to guycrunch's count of 243.

This is why I mentioned in another thread, maybe we should have a discussion about how inlays should be counted. If that window is put in as a single piece, then it's one inlay. (If the veneers are mitered "off line" then glued to the ivory and it's put in as a whole, that's what I am talking about)

JV

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The value of a cue is not directly related to the number of inlays.

In
My
Humble
Opinion

Scott <<== forgot to count the ivory windows :D

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
IMO, the window with or without veneers would count as one inlay, albeit one with a good deal of labor involved. If the window had recut "frames" of wood, shell, or metal, then I'd count the number of layers involved.

With this Searing cue its not just the number of inlays, it's the painstaking and copious labor and know how that went into making it all happen!

Martin

This is why I mentioned in another thread, maybe we should have a discussion about how inlays should be counted. If that window is put in as a single piece, then it's one inlay. (If the veneers are mitered "off line" then glued to the ivory and it's put in as a whole, that's what I am talking about)

JV

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The value of a cue is not directly related to the number of inlays.

In
My
Humble
Opinion

Scott <<== forgot to count the ivory windows :D

i agree, with you for sure.

IMO veneers are NOT inlays.

smullaney83

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every once in awhile I'm speechless when it comes to a cue... this is definately one of those times. Congrats! In my view this would be the most desireable searing I've ver seen with the gold inlays. Just curious is it 14 or 18kt gold?

helllo the gold is 14 he wont use 18 because its too soft he says i wanted 18 but the 14 came out great anyways its really magnificent thanks

smullaney83

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

hey not all those inlays times by two because of the gold border becuase thats a inlay the way dennis did it that why i said about 400 inlays all the gold is considered from dennis one inlay because he had to put the ivory first thin the gold so for every ivory inlay you see double it becuase of the gold which is indeed a inlay in itself

smullaney83

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fATBOY

i dont need to know how to spell, i dont want know how to spell. I do just fine.:d

what i want to know is how come this cue has 400 inlays? No doubt its one heck of cue and then some but i cant count 400 inlays. Its not important how many it has but since it was brought up and i cant see 400 i wanted to possibly learn something about inlay counting i didnt know-therefore my question.

I cant spell but i can count, infact i can count real good. So please explaine to me why i cant count 400 inlays in this cue. Spelling and counting are two different things-so why are you even mentioning my spelling?, its a weak shot at discrediting me. Btw smart guy check your rep you will see you didnt have a clue there about me again, your 0 for 2.:thumbup:

every inlay u count add one more two it because the gold border that is on every single ivory inlay is counted as a inlay so thats what dennis told me that their was about 380 inlays in this cue just call him or pm him and ask he will tell u he did the cue and inlay work different this time so everything in the cue even ringwork is bordered with gold everything is bordered with gold with is indeed a inlay plus the searing in gold which is a inlay for each one so i hope that clears that up anyways about the cue its the nicest in my oopinion the best he has made in my opinion i love the cue and it hits like a dream thanks everyone for the kind words i hope everyone sees it it wiill also bee in a magazine because of the bits used to cue the gold in the inlays thanks

classiccues

Silver Member
IMO, the window with or without veneers would count as one inlay, albeit one with a good deal of labor involved. If the window had recut "frames" of wood, shell, or metal, then I'd count the number of layers involved.

With this Searing cue its not just the number of inlays, it's the painstaking and copious labor and know how that went into making it all happen!

Martin

Agreed. This cue with a .005 cutter, is a killer. Plus no fragmenting or bending of the gold tips takes a lot of care. He really made a gem here, no doubt.

JV

searingcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Inlays/.005" bits

First thank you all for the really nice compliments!!
I'm honored that I got to build a cue that in return would help some one in my family in a serious time the way it did. Thank you Sean!
I'm not an inlay counter. I design a cue in a way that makes me feel it flows, so what ever inlays go into a cue to create that feel, or look in my mind is what I do. It doesn't matter if it's 700 inlays, or 8. Sometimes I feel it's what you don't do that can make a cue special. If I was going to count inlays like on this cue, I would count for instance one of the gold bordered dashes as two inlays because there's two separate pieces. There's a pocket cut for the gold, and a pocket cut into the gold for the ivory. With that in mind, there's 243 inlays in the cue. I'm also including the "searing" logo because each letter is an individual part cut from gold plate, and a .0055" pocket cut for each one.
Regarding the use of .005" bits to do the inlay work, I'm afraid it was made to sound like I said no one else used, or does use a .005" bit. That's not what I meant, or said. I was asked if any one else used the .005" bits I used to do much of the inlay work in the cue, and my answer was that I didn't think so, at least not yet. The only reason I said I didn't think so is because the particular bits I'm using I had custom made for me to cut deeper than any other .005" bit I've seen available. I think there are a number of cue makers on here that know I will help another maker if I can, and have many many times. They also know that it's not my style to speak negative of fellow cue makers. Please except my apology if it sounded that way. Every one trying to make cues with care has my respect.

Thanks again for the compliments, it makes the effort we all put into a cue worth while!

Dennis

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
I'm honored that I got to build a cue that in return would help some one in my family in a serious time the way it did. Thank you Sean!
I'm not an inlay counter. I design a cue in a way that makes me feel it flows, so what ever inlays go into a cue to create that feel, or look in my mind is what I do. It doesn't matter if it's 700 inlays, or 8. Sometimes I feel it's what you don't do that can make a cue special. If I was going to count inlays like on this cue, I would count for instance one of the gold bordered dashes as two inlays because there's two separate pieces. There's a pocket cut for the gold, and a pocket cut into the gold for the ivory. With that in mind, there's 243 inlays in the cue. I'm also including the "searing" logo because each letter is an individual part cut from gold plate, and a .0055" pocket cut for each one.
Regarding the use of .005" bits to do the inlay work, I'm afraid it was made to sound like I said no one else used, or does use a .005" bit. That's not what I meant, or said. I was asked if any one else used the .005" bits I used to do much of the inlay work in the cue, and my answer was that I didn't think so, at least not yet. The only reason I said I didn't think so is because the particular bits I'm using I had custom made for me to cut deeper than any other .005" bit I've seen available. I think there are a number of cue makers on here that know I will help another maker if I can, and have many many times. They also know that it's not my style to speak negative of fellow cue makers. Please except my apology if it sounded that way. Every one trying to make cues with care has my respect.

Thanks again for the compliments, it makes the effort we all put into a cue worth while!

Dennis

I had .010 bits custom made @ .100 doc, is that the depth you had yours made?

classiccues

Silver Member

Dennis

Dennis,
That's a great looking cue and don't take the inlay counting personally, we were just puzzled a little by the original count and were thinking maybe you had inlays we weren't seeing. The cue flows perfectly and you made a gem here.

JV (---can you do gold lightning bolts :)

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another Searing MASTERPEICE

Dennis
Dennis,
As Usual,
Another Unique MONSTER CUE!
Very Well Done :smile:

bobco729

bobco729
Silver Member
Sean, your cue was built with love and precision by a very nice and caring man. Dennis Searing............Bob C.