Broken Revo

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen players shatter shafts across tables at different levels of competition.
It really isn't going to matter what the material is... they aren't designed to be idiot proof.

The only thing you can hope for is that they are playing against you when it happens.

I have had few months with my Revo shaft without any concerns.
In this time, I have fixed/repaired dents and dings in at least 8 shafts for others; something I simply won't need to do for myself.
I did have to clean the shaft prior to a match yesterday; almost took me 10 seconds.

Not every ding and dent happens on purpose, if I owned a revo and I dropped or someone knocked it over and it hit the edge of the table I'd be worried it could snap at anytime ,
I was thinking of getting one ain't a chance in hell thats happening now

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There will always be people who dislike and criticize that which they can not afford.

There are some excellent educated responses in this thread but none of the negative responses have provided any information that should dissuade anyone from buying a Revo shaft.

I had the good fortune of using one on loan for a number of weeks and look forward to the opportunity to buy one when they become available.

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh really

Well anyone that treats a cue that way deserves this.

That being said, this revelation of seeing what's in there is hilarious to me. A Thin piece of Carbon Fiber tubing filled with a can of spray foam from Home Depot. So much for the $1300 price point being a result of "years of R&D" by Predator.

I guess it proves that there truly is a sucker born every minute.

Well just cut any cue in two. Boy just wood and a metal screw. $2000.00 for this
man oh man. And a golf club, a hollow metal tube and another hunk of metal
stuck on the end, wow . I think I'm going to get a couple of hundred yards of that
carbon fiber tubing and a case of spray foam from Home Depot and make a bunch
of these and only charge $1000. Won't be long before I'll have it made and be
Charlie Potatoes coming down the street.
jack

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate to see so many people bashing down on Predator because someone forcefully beat one of their shafts in two. They make good cues and are the leader when it comes to shaft technology in my opinion. Their Revo shaft is a new concept in the pool world and it has been taken surprisingly well by those that have actually played with one. There will be a second, even tougher and better generation of carbon shafts one day, wether it will be Revo'2 or something totally different remains unknown. They will most likely be the new era of shaft technology, not much say there as the composite shafts are a whole a lot easier to make play and feel exactly the same than any wood shaft can ever be. I'm sure everyone who has had several shafts in the specs that just play or atleast feel different. I know for sure that I have had and still have shafts of the same brand that play different from each other. Predators have been good for me in that regard. All of their shafts have played surprisingly similiar that have gone through my hands.

Sure there are imperfections about the Revo shaft and even the brand itself. It is weird to say the least to come with so large diameter at first, only uniloc joint and so on. I do believe that is to some degree to pull more money of the shaft by publishing it slowly like this. Not nice in a players perspective but Predator group is a business, not a charity. They need to make money on their products and we have to live with that. And I bet the first production Revo shaft cost them a small fortune to come up with, let alone the research and engineering part of a new concept like the Revo shaft.

I would love to try one someday out of curiosity. I dont think I'd make the transition from maple to carbon but I have an open mind for trying out new ideas.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There will always be people who dislike and criticize that which they can not afford.

There are some excellent educated responses in this thread but none of the negative responses have provided any information that should dissuade anyone from buying a Revo shaft.

I had the good fortune of using one on loan for a number of weeks and look forward to the opportunity to buy one when they become available.

One of the most educated posts is also the one who pointed out CF's weakness and its a concern if your someone who doesn't treat their cue like a China doll ,for instance I walked out of the room to answer the door came back and my daughter is smacking my stick against the table , had similar happend to one of my rods and it snapped in half next time out , so ya it's a concern, ne I won't have to worry about

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
I forgot, you used to work for Predator..Theres no use in engaging in a conversation. :wink:

Whether I worked there or not is moot, that's why I gave an example outside of the company and industry. I didn't mention that the shaft was developed by the Porsche Design Group in California and you know those guys don't work cheap, no reason for it when there are so many other ways to make the point which aren't subjective.

Neil

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a great idea. Predator could make a "custom" Revo shaft and you could stuff with different stuff whenever you feel like.......you know.....to give it a different hit. ;)

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That being said, this revelation of seeing what's in there is hilarious to me. A Thin piece of Carbon Fiber tubing filled with a can of spray foam from Home Depot. So much for the $1300 price point being a result of "years of R&D" by Predator.

It's funny that you think the picture show you anything about the properties of the shaft materials, unidirectional composite layers, or design.
It does prove that any can post their opinion on a forum regardless of fact or accuracy.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
So far, I haven't heard or saw anybody explain or demonstrate what a Revo can do....
....that a wood shaft can't.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My advice for the guy who broke it..., One.., Stop chewing your nails. Two.. Don't buy in to old technology that they re branded as new.

Last edited:

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So far, I haven't heard or saw anybody explain or demonstrate what a Revo can do....

Well... for me, that is the point; they don't.
However, they don't dent/ding and they clean by wiping them down.

Being an ex retailer, I tried pretty much everything out there. A 314, Z3 shaft can do anything a Revo shaft can and vice versa.
For those into the LD, this is about as low as it gets without having to go into the realm of 11.8 shaft diameters.
IMO less deflection than 314, seems the same as Z3 but at 12.9mm instead of the Z's 11.8mm diameter.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Nothing really except stay straight and ding free. I still suck,miss,screw up, with or without it. I bought it for fun, for something different, just for kicks.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Nothing really except stay straight and ding free. I still suck,miss,screw up, with or without it. I bought it for fun, for something different, just for kicks.

One of my players is a '68 Joss.....original shaft....still straight.

the Revo in this thread didn't get to see its second tip.

Cocoa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of my players is a '68 Joss.....original shaft....still straight.

the Revo in this thread didn't get to see its second tip.

You don't make sense? If someone hit the side of the table this hard with your 68 Joss who would take the dent out if it stayed together?

I can understand you don't like Revo but what wood shaft could take this punishment?

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't make sense? If someone hit the side of the table this hard with your 68 Joss who would take the dent out if it stayed together?

I can understand you don't like Revo but what wood shaft could take this punishment?

I once watched a guy slam his wood Schon shaft 3 times before it broke.
Guess he wasn't as proficient as this Revo owner.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Nice wood cue and shaft = $130. Revco reinvented the wheel for 10 times that= $1300. Some of you guys have been paying through the nose for every new flavor that comes out, you forget how much more your paying than the $150 cues that you can still get today, that still get the job done just as well. Johnnyt

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

You know what doesn't make sense to me?
Revo is trying to re-invent the wheel....and patrons are paying for the R and D.
What they're trying to do is make a shaft cheaper and reproducible....
...but I doubt that savings will be passed on to the buyers.

Dufferin Cue made an excellent ball rack over forty years ago....many are still being used.
...(they were made of telephone-case plastic..retains shape and doesn't break)
The owner told me that the first one cost him ten thou....but the 10,000th one cost 30 cents.
...his triangles did NOT cost an arm and a leg from the first batch.

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member

Yes, I'm really surprised at the price point for this product. I happen to have a pretty good idea of how much carbon fiber shafts and material costs from working with Marty Carey and I can tell you this... It's a lot cheaper than hard rock maple.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With a wood shaft, you have to adjust your aim to shoot with sidespin, and compensate for squirt...with the Revo shaft, you don't. Simple as that. I've talked about this for the past 6 months (including on here), and I can demonstrate it in a NY second.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Last edited: