Broken Revo

rickwen186

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
most of you are right

This is a TERRIBLE shaft!!!! I recommend that NONE of you buy it. (insert sarcastic tone please).

JMS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't help but conclude that much of the criticism posted in this thread is similar to the that in other threads concerning something whose cost is above the norm.

Many negative comments are posted by people blinded by the price tag and others who might find fault with something only because they can not afford it.

If a CF shaft were so easy and inexpensive to produce, I suspect there would be dozens of companies and cuemakers producing them.

This is a comical statement...
First off you don't know everyone's financial situation..I play with a Tascerella and wouldn't be caught dead with a Revo on a Tasc. cue.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a comical statement...
First off you don't know everyone's financial situation..I play with a Tascerella and wouldn't be caught dead with a Revo on a Tasc. cue.

But that says nothing about the Revo shaft unless you are inferring you have a preference for Tascarella shafts.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Saying that if you don't like the $1300 cue rip off is because they can't afford it, is spoken like the snobs you are. Johnnyt

JMS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But that says nothing about the Revo shaft unless you are inferring you have a preference for Tascarella shafts.

I was stating that if I wanted a Revo I can afford it. You seem to think that if someone cant afford something they'll criticize it. Thats just a plain old stupid comment. ..Im not calling you stupid just that statement you made...

F.Y.I. ive tried the revo shaft, after about 20-30mins. with the shaft I don't see the reason for the hype about the REVO....I can do the same exact thing with my Tascarella shaft and bridging at my pivot point.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You seem to think that if someone cant afford something they'll criticize it. Thats just a plain old stupid comment. ..Im not calling you stupid just that statement you made....

No. That's not correct. I said "much of the criticism..." I chose my words carefully and did not say "all" of the criticism.

There are numerous discussions/threads which are critical totally due to the cost of the cue or shaft, and the Revo is a magnet for criticism for this same reason.

That was the basis of that portion of my statement.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
damn it... I hate you all. I was perfectly content with my Revo and actually loved it so much. Now with all this Predator hatred, I realize that I am wrong and have come to hate it soooo much

NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!
:grin:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate mine. It's ugly ... I'm too embarrassed to sell it so I'm giving it away.

Don't blame you I would too other wise I would never let it out of my hands oh wait thier shaky also it would be only a matter of time before I dropped it and it would be rendered useless

jeremy8000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Overpriced? Of course. New designs always are. Early adopters will always pay the premium.

Worth it? Well, you can get similarly low deflection from other shafts (though not at that tip diameter) for far less... or you can simply learn and adapt to the deflection of your existing shaft... but then it comes down to how much value you place on those tradeoffs. It's certainly not necessary, but that doesn't mean Revo shafts don't offer value. The question as to whether the value received is worth the price paid is a matter of personal perspective.

For me, the biggest benefits would be (1) no warpage/dings/dents without aggravated abuse and (2) confidence that you could, in a pinch, immediately switch to another Revo shaft and not have to adapt to different playing characteristics that are unavoidable when dealing with different shafts made from natural (and therefore not uniformly consistent) materials, no matter how skilled the cuemaker.

Going on the assumption that eventually the shafts are to be released as a standalone offering, I will be very surprised if they were released at higher than a $425 MSRP. If I were looking at buying a Z3 or 314-3 that retails now for $325, I would certainly consider paying the additional $100 for a shaft that would feel new and roll true for a lifetime. Hopefully by that time they'll consider issuing it in a more natural color, though....

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's not the same as layering unidirectional fabrics, which is totally diffrerent than injection molded. I also never said that there were any ceramic tennis rackets made by Dunlop - I was referring to baseball bats (which they make today of carbon fiber). Also the graphite Walmart cue was some injection molded or pultruded thing, not made by rolling layers of unidirectional fabric, with a foam core.

I also mention McEnroe in his PRIME, which was late 70s - early 80s. He actually didn't play in 1986 (took the year off) and was never the same when he returned.

The technology as implemented might be new to the pool industry. I doubt Predator themselves make these shafts because it would require a separate facility with different tooling and machinery.

hi

The composite technology used by Predator isn't new in the cue sports industry.

It "looks" to be new, because of the Predator -excellent- marketing.

But it isn't a new technology . Marketing effect .

Longoni (N°1 of the carom market) , and some other italian companies, are selling high end composite shafts for >10-15 years . Some are CF only , some are GF/CF (glass/carbon) , some are aramid ("kevlar")/CF or aramid/GF composites . rolled products mostly, but you can find pulltruded products too ... many variations are avaible.

The primary markets for those italian composite shafts are 5 birilli (5 pins) and carom (mostly masse shafts used for artistic carom , but a couple of 3C shafts were produced too) . Almost, if not all the artistic carom players in the top 20 are using composite masse shafts . Mostly made by Longoni ... In 5 birilli / pins , a composite cue is +/- the norm .

a fact is verrry strange : Longoni has decided to not sell composite shafts anymore, when Predator introduced the Revo . ;-) . to me, IMHO, kind of joint-venture between the N°1s ... that's simply a matter of market .IMHO.

Last edited:

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

The composite technology used by Predator isn't new in the cue sports industry.

It "looks" to be new, because of the Predator -excellent- marketing.

But it isn't a new technology . Marketing effect .

Longoni (N°1 of the carom market) , and some other italian companies, are selling high end composite shafts for >10-15 years . Some are CF only , some are GF/CF (glass/carbon) , some are aramid ("kevlar")/CF or aramid/GF composites . rolled products mostly, but you can find pulltruded products too ... many variations are avaible.

The primary markets for those italian composite shafts are 5 birilli (5 pins) and carom (mostly masse shafts used for artistic carom , but a couple of 3C shafts were produced too) . Almost, if not all the artistic carom players in the top 20 are using composite masse shafts . Mostly made by Longoni ... In 5 birilli / pins , a composite cue is +/- the norm .

a fact is verrry strange : Longoni has decided to not sell composite shafts anymore, when Predator introduced the Revo . ;-) . to me, IMHO, kind of joint-venture between the N°1s ... that's simply a matter of market .IMHO.

The Longoni composite shafts are made of weaved fabric, not unidirectional.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually the Revo shaft is indestructable under normal use. It will not dent nor warp. Slamming it onto anything is abuse not intended as normal use, and voids the warranty, I would expect.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

If it's anything like motorcycle helmets then just dropping it is enough.

Generally, with modern full face helmets, if you drop it they recommend you not use it until it is returned to the manufacturer for x-rays and examination.

So, if a Revo falls over...as when propped up and simply falls by accident to the floor...is the warranty void? Will a miscue void it?

Food for thought.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So, if a Revo falls over...as when propped up and simply falls by accident to the floor...is the warranty void? Will a miscue void it?

Food for thought.

I'm at the point were I feel most warranties are worthless. That goes for almost everything. It's usually up the person that handles the complaint.....and it depends on what kind of mood they're in.
Aside from the cost I think a lot of people would buy a REVO to try it out. The color is not hard to get used to. Not liking it is a different story.
Had mine since August. It's still straight and smooth. And black not blue.

REVO CARBON COMPOSITE SHAFT CARE INSTRUCTIONS

WARPAGE. REVO carbon composite shafts feature a limited-lifetime warranty against warpage.

ABUSE. REVO carbon composite shafts are not designed to withstand extensive lateral pressure. They should not be bent excessively, hit on the table or other objects, or treated with any abrasives, solid or liquid. We recommend protecting your shaft with a case and joint protectors.

Your Predator cue and/or shaft is warranted for life against any manufacturer defect that does not include warpage, abuse or normal wear on replaceable items such as the tip, ferrule, finish, wrap and bumper. Predator will decide, solely .....................

Last edited:
That picture certainly shatters a bit of the mystique, doesn't it?

Not really, Predator clearly describes the build of the REVO shaft on their website.
http://www.predatorcues.com/technology/revo-technology/

REVO-TECH-CUTAWAY-V1-BLOG.jpg

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All this is fine and dandy, but if you did the same with a wood shaft in all likelihood you'd dent it but keep on playing and then fix the dent later.
Have you seen Immonen play? He's constantly hitting the shafts on the edge of the tables when he misses.

All this is fine and dandy, but if you did the same with a wood shaft in all likelihood you'd dent it but keep on playing and then fix the dent later.
Have you seen Immonen play? He's constantly hitting the shafts on the edge of the tables when he misses.

I have never hit a shaft against the table or anything else. Why would you? It doesn't make you not miss the shot...