Buyer Beware of rack'em zach'em

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Recently, I purchased a cue and two shafts from rack'em zach'em. Unfortunately there was a discrepancy between his advertisement and the actual items.

His description stated:

"The butt of the cue is in absolute mint condition and the shafts have slight wear and dirt from normal play. Both shafts have NO damage, nicks, dings or dents. They are very smooth and play excellent"

There was indeed damage. I picked up the cue from the post office in the late evening, and I brought the damage to his attention within minutes of leaving the post office. From start to finish, his attitude was dismissive.

Sample photo:
Damage1.jpg

One shaft had the damage in the finish around the entire circumference of the joint collar. Both shafts had numerous nicks and dings, and were not "very smooth". I want to keep this in perspective. The shafts are okay. Nothing is beyond repair, but the shafts were misrepresented.

A true measure of a seller's ethics is how they respond to mistakes or complaints, which are inevitable. Not to mention, it's a red flag if they exhibit a pattern of misrepresenting items, followed by lame excuses and blaming the buyers. It's just not good policy to write words like "brand new" and "NO damage" and then ship out used or damaged items.

He could have very easily have stated "joint collar has chips in the finish, shafts have many nicks and dings but easily repaired" and that would have been fine. I would have known what I was buying.

Lame excuse #1:
First, Zach blamed shipping, but shipping is not to blame.
-- The cue and shafts were securely bubble wrapped and the shipping container was not damaged or indented in the slightest
-- It's impossible that the joint collar could have nicks all around its circumference (see photo) without ANY damage to the joint protector
-- Even if the damage DID occur during shipping (it didn't) how is that my fault as the buyer?

Lame excuse #2:
He implied my photograph was fake. Does he believe I keep spare, identical (but damaged) shafts around? Same joint design, same ring style, same threading... Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

Lame excuse #3:
He said that I got a good deal, so I should just pay to refinish and repair the shafts myself. I think we can all agree that nobody likes "bait & switch".

Lame excuse #4:
He said that the shafts had been sitting in his case for a year and were unused. Though he never once said he actually inspected the shafts before shipping.

Lame excuse #5:
He initially said that someone else (his "assistant") had shipped the cue. This is often a red flag because it's a lame attempt at deflecting responsibility at best. See lame excuse #4.

I gave Zach many, many (too many) opportunities to discuss this in a fair manner, in private. His attitude was consistently dismissive and unprofessional, and we got nowhere.

I asked to resolve the situation with a small ($50) price adjustment for two reasons...
-- To offset the cost of repairing/refinishing the shafts
-- To offset the lower value of the shafts, should I resell them. Obviously, unlike Zach, I cannot possibly advertise them as "NO damage, dings or dents".

My feedback and reputation speaks for itself. Please see my iTrader comments here:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/itrader.php?u=3221

When I bought the cue+shafts, I went against my better judgment because I remembered he had misrepresented an item to a buyer in the past, as seen here:

"Brand New OB-1 Radial" shaft:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=64590

My mistake for hoping he had learned his lesson. Clearly, he has not.

I'm quite sure Zach probably has had positive transactions with others. Nonetheless, I urge you to form your own opinion and be cautious when dealing with this individual.

As you can guess, I'm not expecting any recourse/refund from Zach. Just wanted to warn others.

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 98.2%
110   2   0
i remeber that guy.i always figured he would be hard to deal with.there are a few others here that i always avoid b/c you ca just tell by their posting that they would be difficult to deal with.

Schwinn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Sorry to hear about this Tom. If you do enough business on the internet it's bound to happen once or twice. I'm happy we have the itrader ebay style feedback system now. I think it's going to be key for me in determining who I will do business with here.

brianna187

BRIANNA SINCE 1988
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
189   0   0
he should do the right thing... the $50.00 was more then fair or a refund

thanks for bringing to my attention ill avoid dealing with him

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Please Don't nobody get confused

Just want to make sure although our names are similar I am NOT Zachem!!
I am just plain RACKEM and would never misrepresent. :) :cool:

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
207   0   0
I almost bought a cue from him. Glad I never did. Always seemed like a punk kid to me. Maybe I am wrong, but I have good instincts!!

Thanks for the warning....

Russ

8-ball Rat

I'll eat you alive.....
Silver Member
Rating - 99.1%
114   1   0
Buckeyejim said:
Duly noted! Thanks for flushing another rat into the open**
Now, now.....not ALL of us "rats" are that bad!!! :) :)

Sorry to hear about the troubles, shinobi. Hope it pans out...regardless of what it takes. What a shame.........

Buckeyejim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 98.7%
77   1   0
Shinobi bad deal

I am sure you are a good "rat",you have to be with 8 balls!:eek: :) :)I do hope this can be resolved

Last edited:

thomsont

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0

Mystick Cue Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
brianna187 said:
he should do the right thing... the $50.00 was more then fair or a refund

thanks for bringing to my attention ill avoid dealing with him

LOL.....pot calling the kettle black. IT's funny that you're telling others to do the right thing......:rolleyes:

rack'em zach'em

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
1) The shafts have no nicks or dings as I used an OB-1 shaft with the cue.
2) I have no clue about the finish on the collar since I never used the shafts. All was well when I bought the cue and it's been in my case since then. Except when i test hit the new tips I had put on.
3) Shinobi asked for $100 not $50 originally.
4) You were rude and unjust about the whole situation that is why I never talked to you about a refund.
5) Anyone and Everyone from Texas that has seen me play with this cue knows I used an OB-1 while playing with it.
6) If the collar had chips missing in the finish maybe it was from the refinishing that JW PETREE did because I never even noticed it as the cue was mint when I picked it up..
7) I've sold several cues on here and ebay and this is the first problem I've had with it..besides the OB-1 shaft that I sold from a friend and was told it was new that I sold to Bill Porter. But that shaft was not taken back because Mr. Porter said he tried to take down the shaft..Hence voiding the waranty.
8) With a better attitude Shinobi I would have been more than willing to work with you..but you made it seem like you were trying to work me over or something..and with you saying the shafts had nicks and dings in them that just really pissed me off because I know for a fact they were clean.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
RmZm, I'm not going to quote your post in order to give you time to edit it.

Suggest you focus on service and /or making the buyer whole. Any other path is a very slippery slope.

rack'em zach'em

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
He'll get his freaking $50...as soon as he admits that there is no nicks and dings in the shafts because that it total BS..

smokey

let's roll
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
thank you for your excellent post!!

shinobi, your picture is worth a thousand words! your attachment to another az link says it all - but really you were a fool knowing this about rack'em zach'em.

to make a long story short, i will state 2 options for you:

option 1: i will send you 1/2 of your $50 you feel is right;

option 2: give me his full name and address, and i will call my friends here and make sure that if he comes to vegas he will not return.

we are a wonderful community here and are very accepting, but we are also a little bit like the old west. we just don't tolerate scum. especially if they hurt our friends. its a life long tag, never to return. we know how to preserve the law.

your choice (and you can chose both) and so sorry for your grief,
smokey

rack'em zach'em

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
How about you send me your full name address that way I can file terroristic threats against your lame but...I'm in the Criminal Justice Field, don't be stupid..