Call 9-ball

What would you do?

• Nothing. The shot was obvious. Get up and start racking.

Votes: 67 84.8%
  • Warn your opponent and let the rack slide. Call it next time he does it.

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • Call a foul immediately.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Something else.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're playing in a call 9-ball tournament and your opponent in the first rack has a straight-in, as-obvious-as-can-be 9 ball in the corner pocket. He shoots it in without explicitly calling it. What would you do?

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
I would let this slide. If it bugged me I would let him know to call the pocket next time. If the shot is very obvious then I don't think it really matters. I have had people pull this on me before and I have gotten fairly upset because they were just being sore losers and looking for a easy out(this wasn't for money just for fun). Now before I play a game I make sure I know exactly what the rules they want to play by are so they don't start making up rules in the middle of the game.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only a douchebag trying to shark somebody would pull that little move. If the shot is obvious its obvious.
That said, if you are playing a stranger etc it is a good practice in those situations to call the money ball anyway, cause your opponent might well be that guy.
Chuck

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think I have the solution....
Don't play call shot nine ball.

I think the 'bar-rules' crowd is trying to take over pool.
:angry:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Keep my silence while he makes the shot, to avoid any excuse for sharking, congratulate my opponent after making the shot, and then remind my opponent the rules going forward.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Even when you play call shot straight pool no one calls each shot. Why in the world people think this is necessary is beyond me. Use some common sense.

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
Let him shoot it and then a friendly reminder about the rules just in case next time he thinks it is obvious and I don't think it is obvious.

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if i felt the need for my oponent to point out the obvious, id smack myself for being a nit, and try to be more reasonable in the future.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the votes/replies. Yesterday night I was the one who shot the 9 and neglected to call it. (I usually do every rack, but it was the first rack of the tournament and it just slipped my mind. It certainly wasn't the first time I didn't call an obvious 9.) And my opponent called a foul on me. I was pretty stunned. I didn't put up much of fight because I'm not a tournament regular and I honestly didn't know exactly what percentage of people would actually call a foul. Hence the poll. Needless to say I ended up losing the match.

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep my silence while he makes the shot, to avoid any excuse for sharking, congratulate my opponent after making the shot, and then remind my opponent the rules going forward.

Totally agree! Maybe suggest that the ovious does not need to be called.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
When playing 9 ball and you do not shoot the 9 in on a combo its pretty tough to "accidentally" pocket the in the shooters unplanned pocket unless he banks the 9 ball in. With 1 ball left on the table it is extremely obvious where the shooter is trying to pot the ball if it goes straight in. Even on a spot shot you can easily tell where the guy is going on a straight in.The guy who called a foul on you was just a dickhead, no question about it.:angry:

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
I never call my pocket if it's obvious . I never get called on it either
I think it directly relates to what caliber of player your playing. I can look at how a player looks at the table and know what's on his/her mind related to the shot. If they are going to nit-pick that bad then chances are they can't win anyway

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
I would let it slide ........ unless the guy was one of a number of real "dicks" who play in my area.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
IMHO there's nothing to call unless the shot involves a bank, combo or carom. Those must be called even if the shooter thinks they are obvious.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only time I've seen people complaing about not calling an obvious shot is in some leagues and against a very few specific players in tournaments. Every tournament I play in, as well as in my local USAPL league, if it's called shot, even if it's a bank or a clear combination, if it's not called, it is assumed it was by 95% of the people.

Even if someone kicks at a ball without calling it, but it's clear that was the pocket is should go in if you were calling it, I would not say anything. And I have seen most players do that as well, including my son who I made sure is not one of those asshats that yells if you happen to nudge a ball on the way to a pocket about you not calling a "combo" or something silly.

I've had one guy ***** at me because there were 3 balls near each other and I shot one in without saying anything. Like he really thought I totally missed the ball I was trying to shoot and accidentally hit the ball 2 inches from it and made that by accident. Told me all I needed to know about him.

Funny part is that it's usually the guys that try to get away with fouls and not calling shots themselves that are the most vocal about complaing about others.

Unless you are playing a combo carom bank, if it's against me and I know that you know that I know that you knew where the ball is going, it's all good.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crazy

I hope I never reach a place in my game where I want to win so bad I would call a foul on an obvious shot. I shoot pool to have fun. Knuckle heads are every where.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a tough one. Granted I would not call it on my opponent. That doesn't mean they won't call it on you. Are you right or wrong for following the rules? Are you right or wrong for letting rules slide? It's a tough one. What the old saying " nice guys finish last". I let stuff slide all the time because I want to win when I am at the table. Pretty sure I saw Efren lose a game once for not calling a ball. Of course a ref called it on him. So was the ref a jerk or just following the rules. It's a tough call.