Camper instead of Hotel room for distant tournaments

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
So I have been thing of getting a small camper and taking that to tournaments for my sleeping arrangements. That being said I don't think I can setup a camper in the shopping center parking lot of most pool halls.

Does anyone actually do this? Just wondering what the pros and cons might be that aren't obvious.

Thanks

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I have been thing of getting a small camper and taking that to tournaments for my sleeping arrangements. That being said I don't think I can setup a camper in the shopping center parking lot of most pool halls.

Does anyone actually do this? Just wondering what the pros and cons might be that aren't obvious.

Thanks
I did it for years. To be worth it though you have to be staying in one place for a while. It makes no sense to drive an RV 400 miles to a weekend tournament to save a few nights in a motel. You will spend more then that just on gas.

It is nice though to have your kitchen and you never eat in restaurants that can be a pretty good savings. Plus at a tournament when everyone is having to hang around the pool room between matches you can go out and relax in the RV.

I remember Buddy Hall once wanted to see my dog so he came out to the RV. The next thing I know he is asleep on my couch with the dog on top of him. I am talking about when gas was like a buck a gallon. Today I would really have to think twice about traveling in an RV to tournaments.

You would go broke putting in gas. We learned a lot of tricks for traveling on the cheap though. I never stayed in a campground, always parking lots or sometimes you have to get back on the highway and pull into a rest stop.

Actually even today when we go places in a car, I always have a stock of can goods and breads and rarely eat in a restaurant. I have my hot plate in the motel for cooking in a briefcase. Flip it open and I have my kitchen.

Last edited:

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Parking can be a problem....

Thanks

But most poolhalls you can get close enough to walk to your camper.

Class A Class B or Class C makes a difference also.

I teach and play. I bought a Class A that I can pull a little car on a dolly. I will drive to a town and check into an RV park. The month will cost me maybe $150 to $250 for the month. I can play in all the weekly tournaments and work with all the leagues in one month.

If I go to a tourney that is close I would have my home right with me. it's huge to be able to rest inbetween matches. Many times that can be the difference from winning or losing.

But it all depends. Are you going there to win or have a good time and compete?

Then you have to account for the gas. This is why I have the little car. Many of the motorhomes only get 7 tp 10 miles to a gallon.

There is so many variables to figure out.

For me the Class A 26' Damon Daybreaker 1996 is Perfect for what I want. the little car and the dolly give me some cheap mobility once I get parked. I might spend $200 getting to where I want with the gas but once I'm there the little car gets 35 miles to the gallon.

you have to fit it into what you want.

I hope this makes sense to you.

And then there is the up keep.

but it sure is nice to have your food there, your bed there and shower, clothes and whatever else.

Good luck with figuring out your needs and what will work..........

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
Thanks geno, thinking of one of these new aluminum campers that are really light

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks

For parking anywhere anytime you could get a camper that sits in the bed of your pick up.

Has nice advantages, no hitch, no towing, no set up , no take down.

It is always with you .. great for quick snacks and naps.

Some of these units are very elaborate -- gas range, AC, heat, fridge, freezer, crapper, shower ect.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Evan...These days Walmarts are everywhere, and they allow people to park campers or RV's in their lots at night for free. You don't have amenities like water or power hookups, but it doesn't cost you anything either...just a thought. :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
here you go lol article-0-17664B76000005DC-930_634x425.jpg

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
For a long time, Rafael Martinez was "living" in his GMC Van (not a conversion)
and parked in the Ool Hall lot where he was playing (or nearby). It worked for
him and must have saved him a ton of money. No idea what his "arrangement"
is these days, but one person could probably do okay in a truck mounted camper.
Most Metropolitan areas have Camp Grounds on the outskirts of town and provide
hookups for water and electric, with showers and a laundromat.

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I live in a camper most of the year, AND LOVE IT! Mine is a 43' long 5th wheel, and although you would get something significantly smaller, the basics are the same. Like others have said, you can park in a Wal-Mart parking lot for free, or an interstate rest stop, but you'd have no hookups. If you only wanted it to save on hotels than you can easily "rough it" for a night or two (especially since you're an Army man!). You can even fill the fresh water tank and have water for a couple of days, then just pay $5 at a KOA to dump your gray/black tanks on your way home.

If you wanted to have hookups, a nightly spot at a campground would run you anywhere from $25 to $80 depending on where you are. I liked Agent 99's idea of the camper that fits in the bed of your truck. You can take that thing so many places that you wouldn't be able to bring a trailer. They're small, but comfortable. Put a recliner and a 60" plasma TV in there and you're all set.

If you really want to save money, and don't mind no power/water just get a shell on the bed of your truck. Stick a memory foam pad in there, a pillow, and a battery-powered fan and hit the road.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Small Rvs,

I did it for years. To be worth it though you have to be staying in one place for a while. It makes no sense to drive an RV 400 miles to a weekend tournament to save a few nights in a motel. You will spend more then that just on gas.

It is nice though to have your kitchen and you never eat in restaurants that can be a pretty good savings. Plus at a tournament when everyone is having to hang around the pool room between matches you can go out and relax in the RV.

I remember Buddy Hall once wanted to see my dog so he came out to the RV. The next thing I know he is asleep on my couch with the dog on top of him. I am talking about when gas was like a buck a gallon. Today I would really have to think twice about traveling in an RV to tournaments.

You would go broke putting in gas. We learned a lot of tricks for traveling on the cheap though. I never stayed in a campground, always parking lots or sometimes you have to get back on the highway and pull into a rest stop.

Actually even today when we go places in a car, I always have a stock of can goods and breads and rarely eat in a restaurant. I have my hot plate in the motel for cooking in a briefcase. Flip it open and I have my kitchen.

They make a small RV now that is light that you could pull behind a car, they dont make it extremely cheap but these units dont have air that I know of so you could make one if all youre going to do is just sleep. Then you get up and head to Mcdonalds and enjoy the wifi, but heat and cold have a way to taking some of the fun out of it not to mention not having a shower.

You might consider a overnight campground though but I would think you could take the same 10k you might have in a new rv and invested you might make enough interest some years to make back the hotel fees.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Older Ford Ranger 4 cylinder {good gas maileage } put some 2x4s in the bed and make a little doghouse out of free plastic bags, duct taped together.
Get a sterno campstove and heat your meals up and then finish the rest off as a nightcap for the best rest you ever had for nothin!
As Chris Farley used to say I'm livin in a van , down by the riiiiver'

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My parents own a Class C RV. When Katrina hit, that's what I lived in for a few months until we found a new house. After all that time spent, I've learned the upsides and downsides to camping in an RV. IMO, you either sleep uncomfortably or you get a hotel and sleep sound. Although, I never sleep at the $50 rate motels, but I would imagine they are as bad as a camper.

wood600rr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, you can park at a truck stop. Most of the Flying J, Pilot, TA's are well lit and secure, and if you buy 50 gallons of fuel you get a free shower. I drove OTR for a year and the showers are always clean with hot water.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For parking anywhere anytime you could get a camper that sits in the bed of your pick up.

Has nice advantages, no hitch, no towing, no set up , no take down.

It is always with you .. great for quick snacks and naps.

Some of these units are very elaborate -- gas range, AC, heat, fridge, freezer, crapper, shower ect.

I like those and they have several advantages. The main one is you can just jack it up in your yard when not in use. It does not have additional costs like insurance and license fees. Way less expensive when purchasing and a truck even with a camper will most likely get better mileage then an RV.

Of course you may have to buy a truck if you do not have one but unlike an RV you can always sell the truck later if you wish. An RV may be very hard to resell, you are usually stuck with them.

One draw back is not being able to go from cab to camper without pulling over and getting out. You can feel kind of trapped in the camper when you are sleeping.

Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a long time, Rafael Martinez was "living" in his GMC Van (not a conversion)
and parked in the Ool Hall lot where he was playing (or nearby). It worked for
him and must have saved him a ton of money. No idea what his "arrangement"
is these days, but one person could probably do okay in a truck mounted camper.
Most Metropolitan areas have Camp Grounds on the outskirts of town and provide
hookups for water and electric, with showers and a laundromat.
Every time I see one of these I always think I could turn that into a cool little RV
http://www.ford.com/commercial-truc...71978&ef_id=US@WVgAAAavHYxr6:20140710141341:s
They get like 28 mpg on the highway. You could also not make it look from the outside like an RV and you could pretty much park it anywhere if you just want to catch some sleep.

JAlan

Gerbil Jeff
Silver Member
Class B RV's are very nice to have too as many of them can fit into regular parking spaces.

Here are a few styles: Class B RV's

If the vehicle is going to be exclusively used for this I think a Class B is a bit better option than a truck with a slide in camper. However, if you have uses for a truck as well then a nice 3/4 pickup with a slide in camper may be the way to go. One truck with two different jobs :)