Can you shoot with anything off the wall??

To say that the cue does not matter at all for most people is silly though. Obviously it does.


I have not noticed that I play any better or worse with a house cue vs. my Richard Black, 80's Schon, or the Lambros cue that I have been using every day for the last few months.

As far as my game it doesn't seem to matter.
As far as the feel of the cue, sure it matters because it's foreign to me at first.
I don't pocket balls any better or worse, more or fewer with a house cue. Same goes for positional play.
But you probably know how a house cue affects my game better than I do.
 
This question was asked of Thorsten Hohmann last year during ESPN tournament of champions, during his match with Dennis Orcollo.

His answer was he could play with a cue of the wall, but he could not play to the best of his abilities without his cue that was customized for him.

I can't remember the exact wording, but I might still have it on dvr at home, if I can find the interview excerpt, I'll post it here.
Personally, I agree with Thorsten.

Yeah, I would think anyone with a clue is going to agree with him on that.

Sure Efren can beat an amateur with a house cue, but Efren with a house cue he just grabbed off the rack cannot beat Efren with his normal cue he is comfortable and familiar with in any significantly long set. When you start comparing equal level top players equipment still matters.

Also, TBPH a rank amateur will get the "least" benefit from good equipment. Whether a cue is straight or not is less important to a person who cannot aim in the first place. Whether a tip is properly shaped and holds chalk well is irrelevant to someone who has no clue how to play shape or spin the ball.

The better you get the more benefit you will get from excellent and familiar equipment, but it is trickier to see because the best "can" adapt and adjust to shoot relatively well with some pretty crappy equipment due to their skills. To really play at the pinnacle of their own skills though and be able to shoot those most challenging shots that test the limits of even their skills, equipment that they know, that will react properly, and that they trust to perform within precise standards is crucial.
 
I have not noticed that I play any better or worse with a house cue vs. my Richard Black, 80's Schon, or the Lambros cue that I have been using every day for the last few months.

As far as my game it doesn't seem to matter.
As far as the feel of the cue, sure it matters because it's foreign to me at first.
I don't pocket balls any better or worse, more or fewer with a house cue. Same goes for positional play.
But you probably know how a house cue affects my game better than I do.

I said most people, and I said there were exceptions. Did you edit that out intentionally?

I guess so. :thumbup:

Good job. :thumbup:


There is some sort of difference for most people I believe. But as I said, I could be wrong, just ask my wife.

But you edited that out as well. Intentionally? I guess so! :D

Good job! :thumbup:




Is that like sharking? LOL! :grin-square::grin::thumbup::D:eek:




.
 
To bridge a couple posts...

Although he had a sneaky built by a quality cuemaker, I saw bucky bell play lots with house cues. Beat some great players.
 
I have played some of my best pool with house cues.
As long as the tip is good and taken care of, the shaft is relatively smooth, and the weight is in the normal range, I play just as well (or more accurately, just as poorly).

Years ago, I matched up with a road player by accident. I was told afterward he was a legendary one pocket player that just got out of prison....older guy, about 55 or 60 twenty years ago.

Anyway, after we made the game I watched go over to the rack and quickly grab a random cue...never even checked it out. He beat me and then a few other players after me. That random house cue didn't seem to bother him one bit.

By the way, anyone know who that was I played? I was told his name but I never heard of him before and forgot it.
 
"Can you shoot with anything off the wall??"

I say YES.

IF you have decent fundamentals.

For me, like someone earlier in this thread commented, one of the main reasons I have 12 different cues "on the wall" in my room, is that I find it enjoyable and challenging when the mood strikes every few days, to grab one "off the wall" and play. Each of these "house cues" was purchased for some silly reason, and each one pulls me into the moment. One I used as a kid when my dad showed me the game. One because an old timer told me back in the day that any man worth a crap in this game hasta own one. One that was my first cue when I thought I started becoming a player. And one because it's just damn old but perfectly straight.

Can I move the cue ball the same as with my regular player? Of course not. But what playing with a "wall cue" has taught me is that whenever one is in unfamiliar territory, play smart - and that means center ball. Focus on the human things that make one's game GREAT. Stance. Alignment. Precise cue ball impact point. Pause. Follow through. Etc. Nothing fancy. You become acutely aware of how you change your game immediately. You start playing for the least cue ball movement and the shortest, straightest shots. It even looks easy to someone watching - I've heard. And it is in many ways. The good old house cue.

Now my wife doesn't understand any of these somewhat silly mumblings and deep thoughts about a damn game - especially not why any person would NEED to fill 12 spots on a cue rack with 12 different cues --- not counting the so-called prized possession in that damn expensive custom case. But neither do a lot of people.


The old adage that "a person doesn't know what they don't know" holds so true in this case. Play with anything off the wall - and see how you do. It will help you see those things you didn't know - yet.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
This is an interesting question that gets more complicated the better you play. I play 'off the wall' when I'm traveling and I play exceptionally well because...well, I don't know why. But I have a theory.

The physics of it fall right into a great aiming system for me. I think it's a combination of the soft tip and one-piece cue - the amount of squirt is exactly offset by the amount of swerve + collision induced throw for many, many cue positions. Or maybe the pivot length is just my natural bridge length.

I can aim one way on every shot and make every single ball with any english every time. Especially inside english. Can't miss with inside english.
 
I Think

Who cares !

Play pool. I don't care what kind of cue you play with..

I don't care what cue I play with as long as its fun .........
 
DelawareDogs...As long as it has a decent tip, any house cue will perform fine for me. When I'm teaching I rarely get out my own cue, and usually just grab one of the student's cues (and it doesn't matter what the cue is) and demonstrate the lesson concepts. So, yes, I get the same cue action from a good housecue or someone else's cue, as I would from my own cue. That doesn't mean I don't prefer my own cue, because I do...but I can play with anything. :D

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

For those of you that can, let me ask: Do you not play differently with house cues? Someone tell me they can get the same cue action as something they brought in a case vs. something they've never seen or shot with before in their life?
 
Back
Top