Can you sit on the table?

Is it acceptable to sit on the table with one foot on the floor to make a shot?

• Yes (or should be acceptable)

Votes: 87 76.3%
  • Depends on local rules

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • No (or should not be acceptable)

Votes: 21 18.4%

• Total voters

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know where I can get an official ruling or several statements concerning "sitting on the table." Where I play one of the older guys thinks that one cannot place their butt on the table to help with a shot. He thinks that “no sitting on the table” should be taken literally.

I tried to explain that the rule is used to protect the rubber rails and that the edge of the table is often used to place one’s butt to execute a shot. He disagrees and now most of the guys at the pool hall agree with him.

I tried to tell him (and the others) that one foot on the floor rules implies that the player can sit on the edge of the table but this reasoning is not accepted.

Dear Ann Landers, how do I persuade the others that he is wrong?

Can some of the experts express an opinion?

Us lesser lights might have access to any written clairification of this matter.

I will compile the comments (pro and con) and perhaps be able to persuade the other players that sitting on the table with one foot on the floor is acceptable.

All help is appreciated in the resolution of this monumental problem.

strokerace

"The Hustler"
Silver Member
Does anyone know where I can get an official ruling or several statements concerning "sitting on the table." Where I play one of the older guys thinks that one cannot place their butt on the table to help with a shot. He thinks that “no sitting on the table” should be taken literally.

I tried to explain that the rule is used to protect the rubber rails and that the edge of the table is often used to place one’s butt to execute a shot. He disagrees and now most of the guys at the pool hall agree with him.

I tried to tell him (and the others) that one foot on the floor rules implies that the player can sit on the edge of the table but this reasoning is not accepted.

Dear Ann Landers, how do I persuade the others that he is wrong?

Can some of the experts express an opinion?

Us lesser lights might have access to any written clairification of this matter.

I will compile the comments (pro and con) and perhaps be able to persuade the other players that sitting on the table with one foot on the floor is acceptable.

All help is appreciated in the resolution of this monumental problem.

you can cock a leg up..lay down..place both cheeks..bend backwards

and sideways..as long as there is one of your feet placed on the floor

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Most slate pool tables weigh half ton, or 1,000 pounds. Billiard showrooms regularly stack two or more tables on top of each other?

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
I think the "one foot on the floor" rule is all encompassing. (Unless you have a prosthetic leg) If you have a shot with a funny angle, you've got to ass the table sometimes.

On a related note, the IPT originally forgot to include this rule in their handbook, and several players noticed and took advantage of this and crawled around on the tables like monkeys, with no feet on the floor. :smile:

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
I once laid with my back on the table, toe on the ground, holding the cue with both hands and using my nose as a bridge for the whole game. Boy the guy was pissed when I ran out and banked the 8 to get get out.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I have been meaning to get me a pair of those 3 foot clown shoes to wear at a big tournament for sometime now. If you have a pair in the closet just collecting dust, I have a shoe size of 11 and will promise to use them in a big tournament when needed and will instruct anyone with a camera to roll the film. :D

In Louisiana, or at least at Buffalo Billiards in Metairie, Louisiana, you are allowed to CLIMB onto the table. It is almost a rite of passage. I get a kick out of the road players who get into a match here and see their local opponent jump up onto the table like a squirrel running up a tree. Their expression is pricesless, at least the first time. After that, it is nothing but a frown.

I haven't read the other responses but the rules state that you must have one foot on the floor. I'm very sure the rules say nothing about your cheeks.

HOWEVER, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do". I'm not sure it will keep the rails in better condition or not but you can improve the use of your bridge handling and keep the peace. It's tough being correct (and you are) but being the lone voice of correctness doesn't make for a pleasant atmosphere. I wish Buffalo Billiards did not allow you to climb on to the table but I don't want to be a whiney baby either.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Dear Leg-up in Leesburg;

A foot on the floor and butt cheek(s) on the rail, it's all good.
For the very most part, when these occasional shots come up, the shooter typically uses that one foot touching the floor as weight bearing. Somewhat rarer would be when their behind is up on the rail with just a toe touching the floor with practically no weight on their foot.

So, it's reasonable to conclude that for these very occasional shots, the tables should not suffer any damage. It's a normal part of the game.

I will say that over the years I have seen lots of people, for instance, actually lift their behinds up and sit on an adjascent table to the one they are playing on, in between their turns at the table, and that should never be tolerated.

Best,
Brian kc aka Ann Landers

Last edited:

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a expert opinion.

IMO sitting on the table means using it as one would use a chair. Placing one butt cheek on the table to make a shot is a totally different.
Your house your rules!

Kickin' Chicken said it best.

Last edited:

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
Yes you should be able to sit on the table but it should be stated if this is unacceptable to the room owner. Some tables don't handle the weight on the rails very well. GC 4 end rails being a good example. Also it's NEVER a good idea to sit or lean on a pocket iron.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Henry...When you see stacked tables in showrooms (especially more than two high), only the bottom one has slate. The others are just a plywood bed on the frame.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Most slate pool tables weigh half ton, or 1,000 pounds. Billiard showrooms regularly stack two or more tables on top of each other?

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
No. If anyone sits on my table, I'd have to kill them. Besides, it gives an unfair advantage to those over 6' who can still reach the floor whilst sitting comfortably on the rail.
--Steve

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the replies. I will print and post in billiards room (that is what we call it here).

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been meaning to get me a pair of those 3 foot clown shoes to wear at a big tournament for sometime now. If you have a pair in the closet just collecting dust, I have a shoe size of 11 and will promise to use them in a big tournament when needed and will instruct anyone with a camera to roll the film. :D

QUOTE]

Now there is an idea I will have to put some thought into. Should get a laugh anyway.:rolleyes:

notnilc20

notnilc20
Silver Member
I don't like the idea of sitting on tables....not good for the rails....especially if someone weighs a ton and has a big drabby ass. Some people have keys, fingernail clippers etc. hanging out of their pockets with no consideration to remove them whilst shooting. I wouldn't want anyone sitting on my table at home so I wouldn't sit on anyone elses.......There is one alternative....an invention that came out to help people in hard to reach places....It's called a Mechanical bridge, if they complain about using it...then I'd tell them not to leave the cue ball in that position next time.

Last edited:

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
As per many comments, "one foot on the floor" is the common rule but ....... There are a couple of table at a local hall where the putty in the seams has broken up, and the workers there claim it to be a result of large people sitting on the edge of the table. These tables have gravelly spots under the cloth as a result, and this affects play (read "they suck") and results in uneven wear on the cloth.

Dave

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sitting on tables

You just can't argue with house rules I suppose, but hell a mans gotta play you know. Playing pool sometimes means crawling all over the table. I have been complemented on how I can contort my body while playing. Its easier for normal size folks to crawl all over the place. Now dammit if you weigh 400 lbs. hell no don't crawl up on my home table for gods sake, be real. All those so called experts telling you what to do probably can't see the forest cause the trees are in the way. A man without an opinion is like stagnant water, he breeds reptiles of the mind. Sorry, didn't mean to be profound.