carbon fiber cue mishap

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A very well respected cue maker was putting a new tip on a McDermott carbon shaft
He wrapped painters tape just below the tip to protect it from any glue.
When he took the tape off the black finish came off also.
Anybody ever hear of this?
This is all I know it was a 60 second conversation today.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A very well respected cue maker was putting a new tip on a McDermott carbon shaft
He wrapped painters tape just below the tip to protect it from any glue.
When he took the tape off the black finish came off also.
Anybody ever hear of this?
This is all I know it was a 60 second conversation today.
Yes.
Some of the c/f blank suppliers are using a questionable finish. It's not bonded.

J$Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So..... I thought carbon fiber was black throughout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Have done many retippings of the revo, cuetec, jacoby, pechauer shafts and a few no names and have not had this happen. I use painters tape also, but have not dealt with the McDermott so cannot speak about that. Personally, I actually like doing them as there aren't 45 dings in the shaft to remove from their "baby"...if they treat their actual baby that way....Holy FKN Crap.....

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
As an installer that yet to run into one of these yet,what do you do when/if that happens in public? Tommy D.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's why I use teflon PTFE plumbers tape to stop the glue on a shaft. Some carbon is more black than others too. A split collet from something soft is good too. Hard maple or nylon or delrin deburred all work well to hold the carbon shaft. Before the collet chuck, I held the split sleeve in a sleeve in either the 4jaw chuck or the 3 jaw chuck.

Last edited:

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
yes... I have done that............. so I bought my own lot of CF shafts with out any finish............. I wet sand them with 600 and wax them ............ I like the look of the natural CF

Kim

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As an installer that yet to run into one of these yet,what do you do when/if that happens in public? Tommy D.
Hi Tommy
The first and most important rule especially working in front of customers is.
Don't panic. Stay in control of the situation. Before you work on any shaft you are unfamiliar with. Don't over tighten your shaft collet on any shaft. Tell the customer what you've heard could happen.
INSPECT every shaft before you work on them, ESPECIALLY c/f ones.
Learn what you can about the different finishes on c/f shafts but most important, don't over tighten the collet.
A customer tried to repair his own bk rush shaft. Didn't work out so well for him. It was fun to repair but I only told him I would do what I could which was safer than guaranteeing anything.

Attachments

• IMG_100321_103157-1.jpg
    IMG_100321_103157-1.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_100321_103128-1.jpg
    IMG_100321_103128-1.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_100321_172211-1.jpg
    IMG_100321_172211-1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi Tommy
The first and most important rule especially working in front of customers is.
Don't panic. Stay in control of the situation. Before you work on any shaft you are unfamiliar with. Don't over tighten your shaft collet on any shaft. Tell the customer what you've heard could happen.
INSPECT every shaft before you work on them, ESPECIALLY c/f ones.
Learn what you can about the different finishes on c/f shafts but most important, don't over tighten the collet.
A customer tried to repair his own bk rush shaft. Didn't work out so well for him. It was fun to repair but I only told him I would do what I could which was safer than guaranteeing anything.
Oh great...now he likes carbon puzzles too! 😉
As always Mike, fantastic work. 👍

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes... I have done that............. so I bought my own lot of CF shafts with out any finish............. I wet sand them with 600 and wax them ............ I like the look of the natural CF

Kim
Please post a close-up picture. I like that look, too.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
'TRUE' cf is black and only black. Its not a dye. Some cheaper so-called cf weave tubes are dyed/colored. Those are imitations made to look like real cf.

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
Had one crap out after I wax it and trimmed the tip with a blade.
I'm gonna avoid all CF shaft work as much as I can from hereon.
I'm also not taking in any CF shaft work. Too much of a liability when balanced with the expected profits of doing the work. IMHO CF shafts are just the newest of the gimmicks to come down the road! I don't expect to see many of them still being used 5-10 years from now!

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My original carbon cue shafts are still in use, sold from 2006 , so that is like a good 14 years now , are still good.

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes.
Some of the c/f blank suppliers are using a questionable finish. It's not bonded.
I think the McD ones might be painted. Interesting, when dropped on their tip on to a pool table along their axis, from maybe a foot or so, they kind of thunk and don't bounce.

td1223

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just did two of the McDermott CF shafts and used painters tape and guess I'm lucky I did not have an issue. When I google PTFE tape I see everything from pipe thread on. Could someone point me to the right tape and or part number?

Thank you,