carbon fiber shafts

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Do you still on slow, nappy cloth? Still playing clay or ivory balls? Worsted-wool cloth and phenolic balls changed the game FAR more than this shaft will.

That's cause pangit does not reason well. The only reason MLB players do NOT use aluminum bats is they are outlawed and somebody would die. The pitcher is only 60 feet away from guys weighing 240 pounds with baseball exist speed at 105mph. The ball comes off quicker off metal and the pitcher would be a sitting duck.

Plus, 120 home run seasons and the best pitcher in the league would have an ERA of 5.65. LOL The pitcher would have to wear protective armor ;)

But what Pangit failed to address is aluminum bats are used for all non professional baseball players from little league up to college level. So, it seems to work for them ;)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's cause pangit does not reason well. The only reason MLB players do NOT use aluminum bats is they are outlawed and somebody would die. The pitcher is only 60 feet away from guys weighing 240 pounds with baseball exist speed at 105mph. The ball comes off quicker off metal and the pitcher would be a sitting duck.

Plus, 120 home run seasons and the best pitcher in the league would have an ERA of 5.65. LOL The pitcher would have to wear protective armor ;)

But what Pangit failed to address is aluminum bats are used for all non professional baseball players from little league up to college level. So, it seems to work for them ;)
The new metal bats(college ball) are made so ball speed is same as wood. I read somewhere that Jose Canseco hit a ball 600ft.+ with an aluminum bat in high-school.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
The new metal bats(college ball) are made so ball speed is same as wood. I read somewhere that Jose Canseco hit a ball 600ft.+ with an aluminum bat in high-school.

Yes, they changed the composition per HS rules. They are less potent now a days, but still come off faster then wood. The biggest thing they did was add weight.

Now, anyone that plays HS or college ball has to use a Drop 3 bat. Which means the weight of the bat not be more than 3 ounces less than the length of the bat. 34 inch bat has to weigh at least 31 ounces. That was a huge factor. Now, alum bats weigh the same as wood, so guys can't use a super light bat, which increase hand speed, and allows you to crush stuff.

But, it still goes further, the exit speed has been thoroughly reduced, but MLB pitchers would still lose some teeth if they used alum.

They use to have occasional tourneys with the older, illegal models. That was when college lead off players were hitting a dozen home runs a year. It was crazy.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, they changed the composition per HS rules. They are less potent now a days, but still come off faster then wood. The biggest thing they did was add weight.

Now, anyone that plays HS or college ball has to use a Drop 3 bat. Which means the weight of the bat not be more than 3 ounces less than the length of the bat. 34 inch bat has to weigh at least 31 ounces. That was a huge factor. Now, alum bats weigh the same as wood, so guys can't use a super light bat, which increase hand speed, and allows you to crush stuff.

But, it still goes further, the exit speed has been thoroughly reduced, but MLB pitchers would still lose some teeth if they used alum.

They use to have occasional tourneys with the older, illegal models. That was when college lead off players were hitting a dozen home runs a year. It was crazy.

Great info, RJ. I dig your expertise and history in baseball. Thanks for this.
I remember hearing that baseball would be home run derby of they went to aluminum bats.

What's your opinion on Sosa when his bat broke and they found foreign material in the shrapnel. It's the loaded bat theory really an advantage? And if so is that an equal scenario to a pro in pool preferring new tech like carbon composite shafts?

Somewhere down the line, after all factors are weighed, there has to be an advantage...that's why MLB is so strict in their parameters for bats.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
For many purists, playing with a synthetic shaft is akin to an MLB player using an aluminum bat. Some "advances" in technology are like a 3 dollar bill.

All errors corrected. And I agree. I've known players who could change a nine dollar bill in threes. It's what we deal with. If the Revo shaft makes you pocket balls better, stick with it. And stick your friends. If it doesn't, consider yourself another sucker.

All the best,
WW

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember hearing that baseball would be home run derby of they went to aluminum bats.

What's your opinion on Sosa when his bat broke and they found foreign material in the shrapnel. It's the loaded bat theory really an advantage? And if so is that an equal scenario to a pro in pool preferring new tech like carbon composite shafts?

Somewhere down the line, after all factors are weighed, there has to be an advantage...that's why MLB is so strict in their parameters for bats.
Pros used to hollow out the barrel and fill with cork or other light material. It was to increase bat-speed. Sometimes it worked but when it failed it was kinda obvious and got the player ejected.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Yeah, it would be a HR derby because even with the wood bats weighing the same as wood, they are elite athletes and the ball goes further off alum bats. The metal acts like a "spring" as there is more give in the lightweight metal.

The corked bat, I can tell you from experience it doesn't make much difference at all. I was not always the honest and upstanding person I am today ;) In college, I only weighed 150 pounds, and was looking for some extra pop.......

And yes, MLB knows a pitcher would be in jeopardy. It would change the game as far as records go and I don't even think it will happen. Plus, pitchers pitch inside for a reason, to get you out. You jam me with an alum bat and it's not going to break and the ball is still leaving the infield. ERA's would swell ;)

For the kids leagues its about expense, as the alum bat could last 3 or more seasons if not abused. I played in a wood bat league years ago, and most folks broke about 3 bats each per season on a team of 20.

When my son was 13, he was finally starting to show some real progress in hitting. And decided to get him the top of the line bat for his hard work. Took him out to the park my our house and the first pitch he lined back at my head and I just got my glove up in time. Scared the living piss out of me. My son thought he killed me.

He saw it going right for my face. I showed him my glove with the ball in it and he was surprised as he thought it hit me. I said I was ducking as I was bringing my glove up and I could see the ball right in front of my face. Pretty close call.

After that I pitched to him behind a net and he was only 13 at the time ;)

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fellas these post,while interesting are afar away from the initial post

how do carbon fiber shafts play?

I love baseball and golf but their function is different
what works for hitting a baseball or light and proper for golf has nothing to do will pool cue shafts

start your own threads,i might even read them

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Revo............................

fellas these post,while interesting are afar away from the initial post

how do carbon fiber shafts play?

I love baseball and golf but their function is different
what works for hitting a baseball or light and proper for golf has nothing to do will pool cue shafts

start your own threads,i might even read them
Dean, i played with a Revo 12.8mm last weekend at Olathe tournament. Hit about 30-40 balls and was very impressed by how it played. Making balls with spin was pretty easy regardless of spin used. Feel, however, was REALLY different. Sort of a muted "dead-ish" feel. 40yrs. of wood shafts under my belt so this was quite different. I'd much rather use a OB Classic+ or a Mezz if i was going to get a new LD shaft. Both feel and sound close to solid and deflection is not that far off the Revo.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what i would like is a 12 mm,stiff shaft that felt like maple and did not knock the cue ball off line whatever you call it

who has one

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what i would like is a 12 mm,stiff shaft that felt like maple and did not knock the cue ball off line whatever you call it

who has one
The Revo comes in 12.4mm also. In time they'll probably offer a smaller size. You need to try the Mezz HP2 shaft. It has a carbon-fiber rod down the center of a solid maple shaft. Quite stiff and very low deflection.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Is there a machine that tests deflection, something that is going to strike the cue ball the exact same way every time. Ive had 50 Predator shafts and its a known fact that no two shafts are going to be identical, even the same model such as the 314, Z, WD700, OB Classic...etc. It would be interesting to see how the Revo shafts compare to each other. Since the entire thing is man made they should be at least 99% consistency. The tip should be the only variable.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there a machine that tests deflection, something that is going to strike the cue ball the exact same way every time. Ive had 50 Predator shafts and its a known fact that no two shafts are going to be identical, even the same model such as the 314, Z, WD700, OB Classic...etc. It would be interesting to see how the Revo shafts compare to each other. Since the entire thing is man made they should be at least 99% consistency. The tip should be the only variable.

I about positive that Predator made on years ago an even named it, it was a machine that just held a shaft and it the cue ball
same place and speed every time.
In another thread I read Bob Meucci had made one as well but no one ever confirmed it.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I about positive that Predator made on years ago an even named it, it was a machine that just held a shaft and it the cue ball
In another thread I read Bob Meucci had made one as well but no one ever confirmed it.

Yes they both had one..they brought it to the super billiards expo when the predator was first introduced. Predator looked like they spent a lot of money and Meucci like the cue’s he was making at the time looked like left over garbage he found at a junk yard. Lol they had the whole dot thing that if you made sure the dot was facing up you got the least amount of deflection and the same hit every time. Lol

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Bob has it set up n a 9 foot table . I have seen it personally as I was playbg league at his factory for a while. He has he has ....iirc correctly ... 5 gold crowns and 3 valleys set up . One table is dedicated for his machine....it stays on that table al the time. The last time I was there he had about a dozen shafts laying on the table that he had been testing.

I saw Skylar Woodard in there one night and was practicing shots over and over that bob was setting up for him. I live right down the road bit hardly ever stop by and quit playing league there.

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you mean low deflection is more forgiving of stroke errors, that’s only true if the longer pivot length is closer to your bridge length. I think pivot lengths for “normal” squirt are about 8”-12” - low deflection is only more forgiving if your bridge is longer than that. Otherwise it’s actually less forgiving.

pj
chgo

That's an interesting point that took me a few days to figure out when I switched. I have a pretty short bridge length typically (6"-8") and noticed through trial and error that the revo "seemed" to be more forgiving if I lengthened my bridge.