Cecil Tugwell - Passes Away

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cecil George Tugwell was buried 15 June 2011 at RIVERSIDE NATIONAL CEMETERY. The Patriot Guard Riders were there to stand in as family. Cecil received a very dignified military burial. R.I.P. Cecil... and thank-you for serving our country!

Thank you so much for sharing that. It is heartwarming to learn that Cecil was given such respect. :)

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rest in Peace, Cecil! I remember the year that Leil gay won the US Open One Pocket Tournament in Kalamazoo MI Cecil arrived in town on a Greyhound. He and Leil met up at the poolroom and started playing $20 one pocket. Leil wasn't a one pocket player but wanted to learn the game's ins and outs. So he knew there was no better place to learn it. They played until the pool room ran everyone out and I gave them a ride to the motel I was staying at. They decided to share a room to cut down on their nut. They played $20 one pocket every waking moment they weren't playing a tournament match. Leil learned enough from Cecil to take the tournament down but I think he was still stuck a few hundred to Cecil playing the "in between" games. I'd known Cecil for several years before that. My road partner, Gary Spaeth went to one of Strawberry's one pocket tournaments when I couldn't get away to go with him. Gary beat Cecil in the tournament strictly through his banking ability. When Cecil put him in a trap and Gary didn't really know how to get out of it he banked a ball in, usually somewhat of a "flyer" and ran out. Cecil felt it was a fluke that Gary won so right after the tournament Cecil came to Cincinnati to play Gary. That wasn't one of Cecil's best moves. Playing Gary at home was double trouble! I'm afraid that Cecil didn't like his end of that, but still thought that it was a fluke that Gary could beat him. Cecil was probably right, anywhere but at home! Cecil was one of the best "movers" I've ever had the privilege of watching. Even though Gary came out ahead, he was constantly in a trap and usually only won because of his outrageous banking! I don't think I've ever seen Gary under as much pressure as that match-up! I've often wondered this last decade what had become of Cecil. He was a true road warrior!
That was the year i brought The Crow up to gamble, He wanted to play Richie and I said , anything we win, you can play Richie with, but we aren't going to start with him.
We pulled into the driveway , and Cecil walks past the car.
They had a party in the parking lot and Cecil comes in and beats Leil and Preacher
Feeney all weekend and my guy runs up to Richie and dares him to play . lol
I remember you and Dickie telling me about a real good game but we never had a chance to get down after that.

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
That was the year i brought The Crow up to gamble, He wanted to play Richie and I said , anything we win, you can play Richie with, but we aren't going to start with him.
We pulled into the driveway , and Cecil walks past the car.
They had a party in the parking lot and Cecil comes in and beats Leil and Preacher
Feeney all weekend and my guy runs up to Richie and dares him to play . lol
I remember you and Dickie telling me about a real good game but we never had a chance to get down after that.

Not much patience in The Crow.... LOL

rheester

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
recently heard about cecil tugwell

i've been spending more time during day w/ some seasoned players and heard about cecil tugwell.

wish i had watched him play.

RIP

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
I got to see him play, I was living in the area for a year or so back in mid 90's. It certainly was sobering to see him at Hard Times in Bellflower. Even though he was down on his luck I could tell he loved the game and did not mind sharing his knowledge with others. I was around that pool room every day almost for over a year and so I did get to see him. When he did practice it was a sight to behold, I could not understand why he tilted his head around the way he did while addressing the cue ball. I realize now that he was trying to compensate for how he used to use his other eye - as a result from playing with the other side ie righty and then lefty.' He had a kind heart and was kind of cooky sometimes. They had a local 9 ball tournament that he would compete in and sometimes he would get a few racks of practice in before. Some of the other players would actually stop practicing and watch him. I knew not to fiddle with him playing one pocket or banks and I was ranked in the top ten in the world at the time in the nine ball pro tour. Did not know him well but he was a great pool player (one pocket especially) and everyone seemed to like him. God rest his soul he was a champ as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:

Raggedy Andy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cecil

Cecil played all games well. His lifestyle in his final years is a sad, but true, commentary on the billiards universe. I saw this man play some great pool in Los Angeles.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cecil tugwl

I knew who he was long before seeing him. Played him once around 20 years ago at Hardtimes in Bellflower.

He was stalling and I was lost. He was a. Gentleman and I enjoyed the time I spent with him.

Glad to see thus thread being revived.

Mark Griffin

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@ Red, Yes my uncle was a decent guy. Thank you so much for the kind words. Cecil was broke, and probably faced alot of his own demons, which in life, I've learned that there are many. Some people have problems admitting to that, and it's much easier to point out other's. However, 67 years of life is alot of years to experience alot of things. I am greatful to years ( which by the way are longer than most have experience with Cecil) of joy and love he shared with me and my sibblings, and cousins. Nothing posted here can change that! Again thanks for the kind words...

I don't know 1 human being who hung around pool all their life that hasn't done some things they are not proud of , that includes me.
There are always 2 sides to a story, unfortuneately or fortuneately , we will probably never hear the other side of the bad one.
Pool seems to bring out the worst in people, I have no idea why , it just seems that way after 50 plus years of being around it.
People get angry, or they are broke all the time and do things they probably would not think of, if they had a square life.
I'm glad he was special to you and your siblings .

The Hippie

Registered
RIP Cecil. I was just a youngster in my 20's working as a house man at the old Hollywood Billiards...late 70's or early 80's, Cecil came in often and we played cheap. he was always very good to me and I learned a lot from those cheap lessons.