Challenge match -- Cubc vs OMGWTF

Cubc vs OMGWTF

• Class-act Cubc will wipe OMGWTF off the table, and that psycho ***** deserves it

Votes: 45 26.0%
  • I have a crush on OMGWTF and I'm confident that she crushes that silly piece of poop

Votes: 84 48.6%
  • I like to watch 'American Idol'

Votes: 44 25.4%

• Total voters

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
from where I am sitting . . .

I have kept up with this from the beginnings on AZB. Granted I don't remember every word. However, Cubc is the one that offered the seven in the first woofing, much like a certain fool offered it to me and I wouldn't let him back out of it afterwards. Rack your own and a specific spot for the seven seem like they were later refinements. However, we were shown Melinda's rack every time. Not once did I see her do anything but make every effort to put a tight fair rack on the table. Had she been loosening balls as I have seen Corey Deuel do even in major competitions when it is rack your own then I would have questioned the legitimacy of her racking and breaking.

I haven't watched either one play except for in this match-up. However it looked to me like if both had put their best game that they brought to that nine foot Diamond that day on the table all day, Cubc would have won fairly easily. Diamonds are tough if you aren't used to playing on them and will make many people that use a lot of english and cheat pockets look like bangers until they adjust though.

Reportedly the big edge that Cubc had to combat the spot was his ability to string racks. The Diamond negated that. While they may run one here or there the odds of someone without a much stronger game than Cubc put on display running three or more racks on a standard Diamond under competition conditions are slim and none judging by what I see in the local tournaments played on Diamonds.

At the end of the day, heart, endurance, and a spot that he couldn't outrun defeated Cubc. It didn't go unnoticed that Melinda pretty much dropped off of radar for the last month or more getting ready for this match either. With the match being her official "coming out party" and being webcast worldwide she had no intention of getting egg on her face. The lady came ready for whatever battle she encountered, mentally and physically; it appeared that Cubc thought he would win in fairly short order and weakened as they went deep into the set.

Hu

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
Madcity said:
JB that was not heart that won it was the nutz that won and OMGWTF was smart enough to know it.

And now she gets the nutz.

I had a bet - $50 vs one bag of nuts. I told Melinda that if she won I'd send that bag of nuts out to her.

I'm hitting the Post Office tomorrow morning.

Barbara

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kvinbrwr said:
You "flip for it" move was SO STRONG and absolutely a classic and made better being broadcast for those that cared about such stuff. The best. You looked to me (in the video) to be quite jacked up and excited, don't lie, was your heart pounding?

Kevin

no my heart wasnt pounding, I was half asleep and didnt expect anything. When I saw Tooth I just grabbed the $$$-like a reflex. He was gone in a flash, now had he agreed to flip then yeah I would have woke up-for sure. I really didnt think anything of it when it happened, everyones response kinda suprised me, I just figured after all the talk I was suppost to post up and bet. It suprised me he ran off. The next day WOW I heard it was all over AZ-Jay Helfert stole my computer so I was offline for a week until I saw the stir it caused.

1pRoscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fragged said:
I was flabbergasted. I saw the match live.

After so much shit talk - it turns out he cant play AT ALL!!! He has NO ability whatever. I am a D player who doesnt even gamble and Id make an exception for him. I dont want to say too much more because i think he must be slightly off mentally. Nobody with any self awareness would have made that game.

Im still shaking my head and you people that have seen him play WTF is your story? I dont know any pool player playing more than 6 months who he can give the seven to- including chimpanzees.

OMG- I understand you have the 7 for life. Make the appointments now. You never have to work again.
Easy for you to say from behind a computer....

I'd like to see your abilities given the same circumstances... :rolleyes:

Da Poet

Pool is Cool
Silver Member
ShootingArts said:
I haven't watched either one play except for in this match-up. However it looked to me like if both had put their best game that they brought to that nine foot Diamond that day on the table all day, Cubc would have won fairly easily. Diamonds are tough if you aren't used to playing on them and will make many people that use a lot of english and cheat pockets look like bangers until they adjust though.

Reportedly the big edge that Cubc had to combat the spot was his ability to string racks. The Diamond negated that. While they may run one here or there the odds of someone without a much stronger game than Cubc put on display running three or more racks on a standard Diamond under competition conditions are slim and none judging by what I see in the local tournaments played on Diamonds.

Hu

I agree 100% with your point about the table. It seemed Cubc came in with a single style of play in mind and may have just been too tight to adjust. I was stunned at the quantity of sellouts. I didn't get the sense that either player was really dialed into the table but I thought OMG's patience and softer touch suited the table a lot better.

Diamonds with those deep shelves can make any good player look like an idiot if they don't respect them. It's almost a different game altogether.

He had his chances though. :D

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hierovision said:
3k each, self racking but she had to put the 7 in a specific position (that's what I heard from the commentary), and she got money on the break maybe 3 times (one of which was the 9-ball). You should've watched the free feed! :)
Just for those who need a touch of education, when you get an extra money ball or two, it (they) go in the second row in 9-ball. In 10-ball, it (or they) need to go in the fourth row in the middle positions.

I've seen people put the extra money ball in the second row in 10-ball, but then realize that the second row of balls in 10- ball track towards the side pocket more often than in 9-ball.

Fred

Southpaw

Swing away, Meril....
Silver Member
I think it would be a cool idea to have a couple of AZers match up as an undercard for every TAR Challenge match. JMO.

Southpaw

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Southpaw said:
I think it would be a cool idea to have a couple of AZers match up as an undercard for every TAR Challenge match. JMO.

Southpaw

There can only be one match-up in the future for the undercard TAR challenge match, and I think it is long, long, long overdue.

We asked for it, and we all want to get it.

The time has come to stop talking and start chalking.

Give a large cheer to show your desire for the JoeyA versus Jay Helfert TAR Challenge Match. :D :D :D

[Standing ovation.]
[Cheering.]
[Five-gun salute.]
[Stealth Bomber flying overhead.]

JAM

UPlayLucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
There can only be one match-up in the future for the undercard TAR challenge match, and I think it is long, long, long overdue.

Give a large cheer to show your desire for the JoeyA versus Jay Helfert TAR Challenge Match. :D :D :D

[Standing ovation.]
[Cheering.]
[Five-gun salute.]

JAM

I second that, I'd like to see LA Slim vs. JoeyA.

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
Fatboy said:
no my heart wasnt pounding, I was half asleep and didnt expect anything. When I saw Tooth I just grabbed the $$$-like a reflex. He was gone in a flash, now had he agreed to flip then yeah I would have woke up-for sure. I really didnt think anything of it when it happened, everyones response kinda suprised me, I just figured after all the talk I was suppost to post up and bet. It suprised me he ran off. The next day WOW I heard it was all over AZ-Jay Helfert stole my computer so I was offline for a week until I saw the stir it caused.

Fatboy, Now you can say - Been there, Done that, and Got the shirt!

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hangemhigh said:
Fatboy, Now you can say - Been there, Done that, and Got the shirt!

Thx man i appericate that, cept it is a bit small:( :( . Soooo i'm gonna have it framed, and hang it in my pool room at home :D , if I ever open a commercial pool room it will go there.:D :D

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
I think it is more fondly known as Toupee Jay versus the Gingerbread Man! :D

JAM

I thought Jay was the Gingerbread Man???

Now I'm really confused......:confused:

I need to get more sleep.....:)

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Southpaw said:

Southpaw

I offered to do that about 6 months ago, Chris Bartrum offered me a game I like(wont say what it is) but I cant play in my condition-and dont know when I will be able to, I believe that the Jay match is a much better idea and a bigger draw-I'd like to play Jay as well, however if there was a undercard with people here that we know riveralys would devlop over time and that would drive traffic to the card in addition to the main event's. The under card matches could be shorter too like races to 11 or 15 or one pocket race to 5. Just enough to give everyone time to log on for the main event, its a time buffer-thats how we do it in the fight biz-I own a boxing radio show, thats how I learned about that move. By the time the main event goes off the arena is full and the PPV is too, same principal for TAR would helkp their numbers and hardcore fans would watch it all. Also because some players here are well known because of AZ that would drive good numbers not because they are champions, wouldnt it be great watch Fatboy-jus kiddin'. :)

I have a few other ideas for the TAR guys i'm gonna run past them, I am determined to do everything I can for them-not that they need me but any ideas help.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolhustler said:
I thought Jay was the Gingerbread Man???

Now I'm really confused......:confused:

I need to get more sleep.....:)

It was Toupee Jay playing the Ghost a/k/a Gingerbread Man. :eek:

WRONG! My bad, I was wrong. He is the Gingerbread Man and Toupee Jay. :eek:

I guess we have to come up with a nickname for JoeyA for the headlines!:D

JAM

Madcity

JAM said:

[Standing ovation.]
[Cheering.]
[Five-gun salute.]

JAM

I agree we really need to see this one happen and it would make a great undercard.

yobagua

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And she has a neat cat too!

I agree about the Diamonds. I think that its why it is most imperative to get out on these tables and practice on them. OMG had been playing all week in Vegas on these Diamonds. She was accustomed to it. Then her opponent flies in the night before. Playing on equipment he doesnt know and being in an environment he was not familiar with. If you noticed in the begining stages he was up 3 games and could of made it to 4. However it was not the Diamonds but his inability to play shape on the money ball in a very crucial moment that did him in. Had he gotten to 4 he would have been an extreme favorite. It was his level of playing and his inexperience that greatly attributed to his downfall. After all they both play on the same equipment.
While I am not a fan of OMG I respect that she travels around getting into tournaments on her own dime and takes a rigorous approach to the game. She must be credited for that. I hope this win enlightens her to the brighter side of playing and winning.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
I think you may be interpreting my post differently than I intended for it to be.

I view the art of hustling maybe -- and this is just a maybe -- differently than the literal meaning of the word in the dictionary.

It is not my intention to take sides, and I have no dog in this fight. In fact, I do not know either player. I have never read OMG's blog, and I don't know cubc except that he is an AzBilliards forum member.

I was merely pointing out the fact that handicapping or hustling, if you will, is indeed an art form. Those who know how to match up have a definite advantage.

JAM
I did misinterpret your post.
I am sorry.

I think of handicapping and hustling as two totally different activities.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
It was Toupee Jay playing the Ghost a/k/a Gingerbread Man. :eek:

WRONG! My bad, I was wrong. He is the Gingerbread Man and Toupee Jay. :eek:

I guess we have to come up with a nickname for JoeyA for the headlines!:D

JAM

He needs a tough nickname, one that suits him. I recommend "Devil Dog"! I think he'd like it:D:D