Charlie Chaplin at the DCC

eezbank

Silver Surfer
Silver Member
There's a man that dresses up like Charlie Chaplin at the DCC. I notice he's on some of the newer dvds from Accu-stats sitting in the stands. Does anyone know this guy or why he does this at the event? Is he a retired pro? I'd love to hear the story behind this if anyone knows.

dacue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have talked to him before at DCC, he shows up everyyear (that I've been there). He says to call him "pots and pans". He seems to be a nice person, he tells alot of old corney jokes. Seems harmless enough, alot of people seem to know him at DCC.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thats Bunny Rogoff, I saw him at the M-Cup 2 weeks ago(in street cloths), he looks the same now ashe did 20 years ago-when I first met him. Its possible he is the oldest living human in the history of the world. He lives in Vegas and goes to all the pool rooms-he pops in and outof them. I dont know him well, but we have spoke many times. I figure he has atleast 50-100 more years to live. He is a charicter. Some of his joke are great some not to good, but overall he is part of pool for the last 125 years or so. And I'm glad to see him everytime I do.

mike8or9

Registered
I saw him last week at Pool Sharks in Las Vegas. He was playing a guy
from England 8 ball- race to3 for a $100. The poor guy couldn't
understand how he could get 10-15 shots a game and still couldn't win.
If he ever wrote a book about his life on the road over the last 60 years
it could give every other book about pool and pool hustling the 8 and the break. He was an old man when I first ran into him almost 40 years ago.
He moves like a ghost and knows about every player. I matched up with a
player about 20 years ago- 8 ahead for a $1000- I won the coin flip and
just as I'm getting ready to break I see him make a side bet for $300
against me. I am a fairly seasoned player- I've been playing for over 50 years (I am 63) and have gambled my whole life, but once I saw that I was helpless and got beat fairly easily. If you see him around at tournaments just bet the way he does. You can count on one hand the
bad bets he has made in his life. Everybody in the pool scene here in Las
Vegas will tell you the same thing. He used to do the Charlie Chaplin thing
every Halloween. Looks and acts just like him.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it could give every other book about pool and pool hustling the 8 and the break. He was an old man when I first ran into him almost 40 years ago.
against me. I am a fairly seasoned player- I've been playing for over 50 years (I am 63) and have gambled my whole life, but once I saw that I was helpless and got beat fairly easily. If you see him around at tournaments just bet the way he does. You can count on one hand the

He called and asked me to write his life story a couple times. He made some very generous offers and told me some interesting stories, but I could tell it was going to be a struggle. I declined the offer.

I agree that it could be a interesting read, just going to take someone other than me to write it.

Ken

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Bernard "Bunny" Rogoff, Pots and Pans

There's a man that dresses up like Charlie Chaplin at the DCC. I notice he's on some of the newer dvds from Accu-stats sitting in the stands. Does anyone know this guy or why he does this at the event? Is he a retired pro? I'd love to hear the story behind this if anyone knows.

A great fella, player, hustler and character, here is part 1 of a 2 part interview by Randi Givens:
http://warstoriesnonebyolivernorth.blogspot.com/2008/05/interview-with-bunny-rogoff-by-r-givens.html

He was also an entertainer of sorts, here is part 1 of a 2 part, audio nite-club
act of his: Caution, even after some editing, the show come across as pretty salty.
Http://warstoriesnonebyolivernorth.blogspot.com/2008/05/bunny-rogoffs-nite-club-act-audio-feed.html

compliments of www.bankingwiththebeard.com

the Beard

Last edited:

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know if Bunny Rogoff still plays and if so where???

The Governor was last time I was in Vegas. He showed up to play in a local bar box event. Strange, I've never seen him on a "big" table. Definitely not playing at the speed he, or others, remember. Still remembers how to move though!

If you look for him, your best bet is stopping by Pool Sharks in the evening. Bernie usually has someone driving him around from room to room. Where ever he feels there may be action. Still a card after all these years. Believe Greg Sullivan made it possible for Bernie to attend the DCC a couple of times. Don't know who's making it happen this year. If he's even going.

Honestly, think I've heard his jokes once too many times!

Lyn

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep...Pots & Pans has been around a LONG time. Jack White told me several stories about Bunny, and once saved him from getting his ass kicked, after hustling some guys, about 60 years ago. The Charlie Chaplin outfit is only one of his "disguises". I remember seeing him in Vegas 30+ years ago, when the Miller Lite tournaments were going on. He had one of Regional Winner jackets on, and had "Swear To God, I need the last 2" embroidered on the back! LMAO The last time I saw him at the DCC, he 'invited' himself in to the 1-pocket HOF dinner, and proceeded to try to take over the mike. Grady and Freddy told him no. He got a little obnoxious, and was asked to leave. Mostly he's harmless...but, as was mentioned, be careful about betting against him! LOL

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
I remember seeing him in Vegas 30+ years ago, when the Miller Lite tournaments were going on. He had one of Regional Winner jackets on, and had "Swear To God, I need the last 2" embroidered on the back! LMAO.

Scott,

He still wears that jacket from time to time! Get a laugh from it as well. Truth is, he needs it now.

Lyn

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It will be a sad day when I dont see him at the derby telling jokes to the girls...

Could that be Denim, could that be Leather, could that be Felt?

Rick S.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here he is.....

The one and only.....

It just wouldn't be the same without him.

120787095.jpg

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
The last time I saw him at the DCC, he 'invited' himself in to the 1-pocket HOF dinner, and proceeded to try to take over the mike

Scott,

Had dinner last night with a very good friend who paid to have Bernie come to the DCC. I mentioned your comment to him. He emphatically stated that he purchased a ticket for Bunny to the dinner. He also stated that Bunny was asked to speak. I have great respect for both you and my friend. This time I'll go with my friend. There are many, many times Bunny is guilty of various infractions. This may not have been one of them.

Lyn