Chicago Pool Rooms

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
For history, Chris' is my choice. Its history includes both pool and three cushion. It is a bit age-weary, but I never visit Chicago without stopping at Chris'.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
[Red Shoes] ... it's not such a long drive.
15 miles as the crow flies, mostly expressway driving.

pj
chgo

Alsip.png

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those would be my choices too, for different reasons.

As others have said, Chris’s is Chicago’s historical pool hall, full of history and action, but a bit faded with age. It has only fast/snack food and soft drinks.

The two Surges are Chicago’s beautiful upscale rooms, both owned by a good friend of mine:
- The Albany location has GC5s, a full coffee shop, bar and kitchen
- The Logan Square location has Diamonds, a bar and kitchen

The map below shows where they're located (the red squares) and how far (as the crow flies) they are from the downtown "Loop".

pj
chgo

View attachment 652748
Sorry to report but the Surge place JR and I played at the table roll was about the worst I’ve ever seen. I won’t waste my time going there again.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Red Shoes is worth the trip and it is not as bad as some might think. Beggars Pizza is the place if your in Alsip... Red Shoes has way more tournaments than the rest combined. All the bank tourneys are there.. Look up my old teammate Mike Eck he loves bank pool...

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Sorry to report but the Surge place JR and I played at the table roll was about the worst I’ve ever seen. I won’t waste my time going there again.
You must’ve gotten unlucky - I’ve played a lot at both Surge locations and have never noticed a bad roll. And I think they’ve both been recovered/leveled recently.

pj
chgo

Threat

Registered
Few days in central Chicago, which pool rooms would you recommend? Looking for somewhere with a bit of history if possible (thank you).

As sjm also said...for a historical, legendary Chicago, not suburban, pool room, Chris's is by far the right choice. And, since I notice that you're from England, it may interest you to know that Chris's has 2 excellent 6/12 snooker tables - no other Chicago poolrooms has that.

dirtvictim

Ignore the entitled they haven't earned respect
Lots of good pizza in chi town. Love Gelsosomos and Old chicagos. Of course Aurelio's is good too.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I is good Trent but really it's not such a long drive.

Chris's is not downtown Chi-town -- depending on traffic it's a good ways out of town and perhaps no further time wise than Red Shoes, just in a different direction. History-wise, yes, going up the stairs at Chris's is like an old time place but it loses something, for moi, quickly thereafter. For my money, Red Shoes is a much better pool experience.

Lou Figueroa
Your right. If your looking for action, $10 a game or $200 a game you'll find it at Red Shoes especially if you play Banks!

erle flad

When I lived there 1985-90 Chris's was great; also played at Marie's Golden Cue, and the Chicago Billiard Cafe (where I bought my Southwest cue from John Wright). Does that small place still exist that was in the Color of Money (the scene with Forest Whittaker I think) that was up a set of stairs then a small bowling alley on the left and a small pool hall on the right?

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love pool but Chicago is a foodies dream city.
I can't speak for fine dining but I know the rest is covered 😉

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
While visiting family last mth, WI/IL I went with a friend to Red Shoes. Nice room, black room, fun people, engaging. Run by John Levine/white guy. This room is GREAT. The people, equipment, laughter, the back and forth of real pool room life is ''there''. It's a one pocket room, and even the very weak players shoot the right shots. Safe, ground level and fooderies and grocery store right there.

Old School Pool Room....be a sad day for Chi Town if this place ever closes. I like it allot better than Chris's.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love Red Shoes. I wear no shoes when I play and they are cool about that. I like the people in there. I always joke around when I come with a real good bank “not bad for a white boy with no shoes from California” always a good laugh for everyone. Great fun, people, pool.

For me it’s a perfect pool room, the right size, axtion, tables aren’t to new, well broke in. Comfortable. The lay out is very good. House man knows his trade. Good searing for rail birds. Great rail birds to talk to. It’s a players room.

Fatboy Approved

I haven’t been there in 6? Years. I need to go. I’m on the mood to start playing again.

Best
Fatboy❤️❤️