• Successful Sharking Move

Votes: 21 13.4%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 7 4.5%

• Total voters

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
Crawfish says that players have been conceding balls in 10 tournament underway on UStream.

So, Russell Sasser misses the 8 ball and 'Hilbilly' Bryant has b.i.h. and with the score tied 1-1, he scratches on the 10 ball, leaving it in the center of the table.

Russell rakes the 10 and racks the balls and Hillbilly says, "I didn't give you that shot." They go ask TD Jay Helfert and Jay makes them unrack the balls and gives Hillbilly b.i.h. on the 10 ball.

Russell goes in the tank for the next few games, but is fighting his way back. How would you call it ?
Crawfish and JoeyA. say that they are not playing conceding the ball is loss of that game and the ensuing game. Besides, the ball wasn't conceded anyway.

Doug

Last edited:

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay got it right. If thems the rules, thems the rules.

I would NEVER just assume that the other guy is conceding a game ball. EVER.

instroke75

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of the above,it was a good shark, it is a legit rule, and he is definately a chickenchit for calling it! But it is his guilt to live with.

Jeremy

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
Oops !

Hillbilly overheard Crawfish telling me the story on the phone to post here while Hillilly was in the chair and confronted Crawfish.
Hillbilly is none too pleased and exchanged words and there are now bad feelings (they've know each other for quite awhile) and it might possibly elevate. Oy-Vey !

Doug

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
olauzon said:
legitimate chickenshit move i say. as a TD i think Jay has no choice, but Bryant is chickenshit in my book.

That says it from my point of view. Bryant may have trouble looking folks in the eye for a while. If Bryant wins the match I hope it's by the one game he stole :groucho:

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:
Hillbilly overheard Crawfish telling me the story on the phone to post here while Hillilly was in the chair and confronted Crawfish.
Hillbilly is none too pleased and exchanged words and there are now bad feelings (they've know each other for quite awhile) and it might possibly elevate. Oy-Vey !

Doug

Boy Doug, you start more CHIT than anyofum........

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:

Doug

If he doesn't want the world to know that might just say something about his own opinion of his actions. But... I also might be pissed because a "friend" felt the need to drop the dime.

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
JimS said:
If he doesn't want the world to know that might just say something about his own opinion of his actions. But... I also might be pissed because a "friend" felt the need to drop the dime.

Crawfish is so pissed, that he has $200 bet on Ronnie Wiseman vs Sam Monday and he is raising hell with Hillbilly and his horse (Ronnie) misses the money ball with all the commotion and now HE'S pissed. JoeyA. is laughing his ass off.

Doug

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Russell made the error. He should have just shot it in - he's in a tournament. The mistake was his. You don't see pro golfers raking away 2-footers in the masters, right? He gave Hillbilly an opening by not shooting and Hillbilly took it, knowing he'd win.

Frankly, I wouldn't have done that. HOWEVER, if I was trying to make a living at the game, I might be forced to do it. Kill or be killed when your bills are on the line. I don't fault Charlie, I fault Russell.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:
Russell made the error. He should have just shot it in - he's in a tournament. The mistake was his. You don't see pro golfers raking away 2-footers in the masters, right? He gave Hillbilly an opening by not shooting and Hillbilly took it, knowing he'd win.

Frankly, I wouldn't have done that. HOWEVER, if I was trying to make a living at the game, I might be forced to do it. Kill or be killed when your bills are on the line. I don't fault Charlie, I fault Russell.

Golfers do it in match play...concede a putt, I mean.

To me, conceding a shot affects the rest of the field so it should not be allowed in tournaments, ever. When gambling, it can be a great move to take away confidence, etc. but in a tourney, I don't like it at all.

Jeff Livingston

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what??

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Smorgass Bored said:
Crawfish says that players have been conceding balls in 10 tournament underway on UStream.

So, Russell Sasser misses the 8 ball and 'Hilbilly' Bryant has b.i.h. and with the score tied 1-1, he scratches on the 10 ball, leaving it in the center of the table.

Russell rakes the 10 and racks the balls and Hillbilly says, "I didn't give you that shot." They go ask TD Jay Helfert and Jay makes them unrack the balls and gives Hillbilly b.i.h. on the 10 ball.

Russell goes in the tank for the next few games, but is fighting his way back. How would you call it ?
Crawfish and JoeyA. say that they are not playing conceding the ball is loss of that game and the ensuing game. Besides, the ball wasn't conceded anyway.

Doug

When and where did this happen???

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
Hillbilly had the option to say something. In some tournaments/tours it is a rule to not concede. And if you do something like Russell did, it would be a foul.

However, if it wasn't a "rule" of this tournament, seems kind of "nitpicky." I bet Russell is livid!

Smorgass Bored said:

Doug

Hillbilly is a good friend and a nice guy. When you're under the pressure of a tournament match, with short races every game becomes important. I wouldn't think Charlie was trying to pull any moves, if he wanted to give the 10-ball up, he would've raked the ball himself.

You never touch the balls playing until your opponent rakes the ball or says that's good, no matter where the ball is setting.

Bottom line, Charlie was pissed that he scratched on the 10-ball, and didn't give it up.
Russell should've just shot the 10-ball in the pocket, knowing Charlie was hot.
Believe me I see Russell's point as well, and Charlie should've over looked him raking the 10.

It's truly a tough call either way when other players are giving up balls at the same time you make a good player shoot the 10-ball with ball-n-hand.

Mark Gregory

Koopa

Ricky
Silver Member
Rule or not, I always wait for some sort of signal from the other guy before raking in a conceded game. Standing up, moving towards the table, nodding, putting your cue on the cloth, saying something. Anything. If the guy's just sitting there waiting for you to shoot, then shoot the easy ball in hand.

I probably would've done what Hillbilly did.

9balllvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you should never assume that the final ball is conceded, you play it out unless your opponent states otherwise. even if the majority of players were not making them play it, not everyone believes the same.

teedotaj

teedot oohhhhhh
Silver Member
Legit

I'm no where near these guys' level but..

If it was such an easy shot there shouldn't be any problem hitting it. Might as well start and re-rack a game when balls are nicely spread out and a clear runout is on the way during a BIH.

Bottom line is, the incoming shooter took away the decision of the fouling shooter to concede the game. That in itself is offense enough for me to be tight on this rule.

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
I've watched a lot of pool, and I have seen good players miss easy shots, that you would never expect them to miss.

I remember a shot that knocked me out of a local 8 ball tourney recently. My 8 ball was hanging in the pocket, and I was about 5 ft from it. I shot a firm stop shot, miscued, and never touched the 8 ball. (Now I go rail first in that situation.)

I remember being bothered by the fact that the guy wasn't just giving up the shot, and I dogged it. Now I understand why he didn't give it up.

What I'm saying is, you can never assume your opponent doesn't want you to shoot game ball. Does anyone remember the video of Efren missing a duck 9 ball that was posted recently? Apparently Hillbilly saw it, and was aware that every shot is missable, and refused to concede.

What's wrong with making your opponent beat you instead of handing it to him/her?

worldison2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:
Russell goes in the tank for the next few games,
Doug

Although it is chickensh*t, I voted "successful shark move" because of the above sentence.
I hate petty crap like this during a match, but some people (especially the not-so-good ones), will use anything to throw you off your game. It's usually a desperation move.