chopping

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
chopping prize money in a handicapped tournament rubs me the wrong way.
It's probably the smartest thing to do sometimes and I don't mean I won't do it under certain circumstances but I think there should be a winner in a tournament. I don't think chopping should be allowed. IMHO

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnyt, nothing of great import comes to my mind or escapes it either
anymore but chopping seems to drag the game down to it's basest level.
IMHO

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's probably the smartest thing to do sometimes and I don't mean I won't do it under certain circumstances but I think there should be a winner in a tournament. I don't think chopping should be allowed. IMHO

Sometimes, especially with local and/or regional tournaments that are held in pool rooms, the wait time is long, resulting in some finals beginning late at night.

I have been at some tournaments where you didn't even know what time your match was. There weren't enough tables to accommodate the tournament in the pool room, and because of this, nobody knew when they were going to shoot.

One year at the Carolinas Open in Goldsboro, all players had to show up at 8 a.m. on day two of the tournament, but they did not know when they were going to play pool. Johnny Archer was the only competitor in this event that was told he could waltz himself in at noon and get accommodated with a noon time for his match. If you don't think everybody else was pissed off, well, we were pissed off royally at the favoritism showed to Johnny Archer.

My other half's match didn't start until 3 p.m., even though we had to stand around like vagrants from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., with no chair to sit in. There not only were not enough tables in this pool froom, but there weren't enough chairs. My feet were so swollen from standing on them day after day after day at the 5-day-long event. I would have paid somebody $100 for a chair, but there were none available. If you can believe it, they had "reserved" signs on the chairs in this bar. Most times, they were vacant because the person they reserved them for weren't there. I will never forget it.

Anyway, these finals sometimes begin after midnight. The players, rather than staying the whole time, decide to chop up the winnings and leave, not only saving expenses but getting sleep or getting a head start on the road back home.

I believe they should be forced battle it out, even if they do the chop-chop, to at least have a legitimate first and second place, but this doesn't happen in smaller events. I understand the "why," but I agree that it sucks a big weenie.

Last edited:

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a local room tournament when the last two players left decide to split first and second and go home who could possibly care. It's none of the business of any of the other participants, they lost and are gone. If it is a regular tour event chopping can't be allowed.

rlw

Silver Member

How do you stop it??

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a local room tournament when the last two players left decide to split first and second and go home who could possibly care. It's none of the business of any of the other participants, they lost and are gone. If it is a regular tour event chopping can't be allowed.

Agreed. I've done it locally, because the finals would have started at 1 am on a work night.

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
As Paul said, unless its an official type of event, who would care? Even the railbirds are gone by then. Typical scenario, first place is 300, second is 200. Do I want to play another match at 2 AM? I'd value the sleep over the 50.

thintowin

thin2win
Silver Member
why even play? i hear excuses when it's ok to chop but most are against it. it's nobodies business? wrong it's everyones business. one of the biggest subjects on this forum is how to improve pool's image. well for starters we the players should hold ourselves to the same high standards as we seek from others. no chop. no excuses.

JC

Coos Cues
I've even had folks want to chop the finals of 8 person mini tournaments at BCA events just so they can start another one sooner. A lot of them! Is it about the money or the competition? I have yet to be defeated by anyone who offered to chop it with me.

I would however chop if the event is significantly behind schedule and I have to be somewhere and sleep first.

MSchaffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see local poker tournaments chopped all the time. Nobody cares about them chopping in the least.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Chopping in a promoted event is reprehensible.

In a small-time local tourney, I agree, practicality might need to prevail.

The question is, of course, where is that line drawn, between where it's OK and where it's extremely bad form?

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member

I agree with this. Sometimes it's simply a matter of courtesy so the poor guy who has been running the tournament can go home already.

Spider1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless there is zero money added, it shouldn't be allowed. Anyone caught should be banned from that tournament in the future.

Owners throw money in the pot because they want warm bodies in the bar/hall spending money. Chopping so you can go home early defeats the purpose. If an owner is fine with that, as stupid as it is, then it's their business.

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There are some tourneys around here and they expect that and I think if you want to play it out you should not have to chop if you do not want.

Chop is no good especially if there is a calcutta.

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
Sometimes, especially with local and/or regional tournaments that are held in pool rooms, the wait time is long, resulting in some finals beginning late at night.

I have been at some tournaments where you didn't even know what time your match was. There weren't enough tables to accommodate the tournament in the pool room, and because of this, nobody knew when they were going to shoot.

One year at the Carolinas Open in Goldsboro, all players had to show up at 8 a.m. on day two of the tournament, but they did not know when they were going to play pool. Johnny Archer was the only competitor in this event that was told he could waltz himself in at noon and get accommodated with a noon time for his match. If you don't think everybody else was pissed off, well, we were pissed off royally at the favoritism showed to Johnny Archer.

My other half's match didn't start until 3 p.m., even though we had to stand around like vagrants from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., with no chair to sit in. There not only were not enough tables in this pool froom, but there weren't enough chairs. My feet were so swollen from standing on them day after day after day at the 5-day-long event. I would have paid somebody $100 for a chair, but there were none available. If you can believe it, they had "reserved" signs on the chairs in this bar. Most times, they were vacant because the person they reserved them for weren't there. I will never forget it.

Anyway, these finals sometimes begin after midnight. The players, rather than staying the whole time, decide to chop up the winnings and leave, not only saving expenses but getting sleep or getting a head start on the road back home.

I believe they should be forced battle it out, even if they do the chop-chop, to at least have a legitimate first and second place, but this doesn't happen in smaller events. I understand the "why," but I agree that it sucks a big weenie.

The place must be Fast Eddies in Goldsboro and I agree about the comfort of that place.

I have chopped before and will do it again, especially if the tournament runs late. As long as all interested parties are ok with it then its time to go home.