Chris Reinhold "Frozen ball goes in easier with thicker hit?"

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn, sometimes I wonder if I did anything right! A hunnert years ago I learned how to make balls on the rail on dead cushions and ratty cloth. Things haven't changed much other than the amount behind the ball I can hit. Some of those old tables I could hit the rail a full inch behind a ball and pocket it, using skid and cushion compression.

Even today, if the only goal is to pocket the ball or if variations in speed will take care of shape I never aim at ball and rail at the same time if the ball is far from the pocket. The reason is simple, If I hit the ball a gnat's ass thick I'm gonna miss. On the other hand, if I shoot a bit rail first, granted not that full inch but more like an eighth to a quarter inch, more depending on the angle, the cue ball will skid on the rail or the cushion will compress depends on angle. Either way I nudge the object ball down the rail and it falls.

I did note that the video talking about hugging the rail often didn't! No need to hug the rail anyway and that was another thing learned. Balls near the cushion can be aimed at the middle of the sweet spot, halfway between the rail it is on and the point it is facing. Again, the reason is simple. This shot is a little more error tolerant. We don't shoot all the way to one side for most other shots, no reason to do it running down the rail.

In my very early days of playing pool running down the rail was a very hard shot for me. Once I learned the things mentioned here, it became my first cinch shot. A final trick, if you aren't absolutely sure neither tit sticks out, when the cue ball and object ball are frozen on opposite sides of the side pocket always shoot with low inside(nearer the cushion), walking the ball a hair out passing the side pocket and back into the object ball. This is a shot where speed, spin, and exact aim all matter but one easy to master with a little practice.

The rails often make shots easier. I don't think they ever make them harder unless you are trying to hit perfectly ball and cushion together or ball first.

Hu
In the room where I grew up (St. Louis Schmitt tables, wide pockets with a clean drop, mud balls, old cushions, worn/nappy cloth with visible rail-tracks), a frozen 45 degree cut down the rail was always a ‘slam-dunk’. Hit the cushion first with inside english, and you couldn’t miss!
Had to forget that technique though when I moved on to more modern equipment, since it never seemed to work anywhere else (go figure).

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
The key is always to hit the CB and the OB perfectly. That s always the problem. The advice "there is no rail" is not so bad. What is really critical is the speed. If you shoot with too slow speed you ll always force the OB to run into the rail. I would say that missing such shots is extemly often cause by just hittin the CB without any unintended english.
Imo to practice these shots the right way, you should always try to shoot the OB clean into the pocket- without any english and with a good pocket speed.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you don't use plenty of outside english (reverse on the cushion) you have to hit the rail first. That's true whether you visualize it that way or not. If you use great steaming gobs of outside spin, you can actually hit the object ball first and get it to go in. See Koehler. See Byrne. See Dr. Dave. Just don't pay any attention to Mosconi's book, which has it all wrong.

And like several above, I like Steve Mizerak's advice which is to ignore the cushion and just shoot the ball to the target.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is no "standard" method of making an object ball that is frozen on a rail. Since you have to play position for your next shot and/or avoid a cue ball scratch, speed and English are going to vary every time.
That said, I tend to use a little inside English when it's allowable-- it tends to "kick" the object ball truer down the rail towards the pocket.
I use a very low deflection shaft (Predator Vantage), so that obviously makes the shot easier too lol.
Thank you for this. The absolute easiest way to make a ball on the rail is to use inside english, which makes the object ball hug the rail going toward the pocket. You aim just a hair behind the object ball (the back of the ball) on the rail. You want to make a very thin hit on the cue ball. Once you learn this shot, you will never miss a ball down the rail again! Of course, hitting the object ball this way you cannot draw the cue ball back up the table, unless you have a very powerful stroke and can make the cue ball reverse when it hits the second rail across the table (for advanced players only). Hitting it "thicker" just means hitting a full ball so you can get maximum draw on the cue ball. Here you are aiming solely at the cut shot on the object ball as if the rail was not there. This is a more difficult shot than cinching the ball with inside english.

One other thing. The second shot Chris demonstrates here is not a "wing" shot! It is a "spot" shot though. I'm not sure how he confused these two well known pool terms but he did.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for this. The absolute easiest way to make a ball on the rail is to use inside english, which makes the object ball hug the rail going toward the pocket. You aim just a hair behind the object ball (the back of the ball) on the rail. You want to make a very thin hit on the cue ball. Once you learn this shot, you will never miss a ball down the rail again! Of course, hitting the object ball this way you cannot draw the cue ball back up the table, unless you have a very powerful stroke and can make the cue ball reverse when it hits the second rail across the table (for advanced players only). Hitting it "thicker" just means hitting a full ball so you can get maximum draw on the cue ball. Here you are aiming solely at the cut shot on the object ball as if the rail was not there. This is a more difficult shot than cinching the ball with inside english.

One other thing. The second shot Chris demonstrates here is not a "wing" shot! It is a "spot" shot though. I'm not sure how he confused these two well known pool terms but he did.
Thanks Jay. I've got to be honest, I've never heard the term wing shot before. What is it?

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As your cue ball comes ''across'' the obj. ball facing with no outside spin, it puts rotation on too that ball, thus when entering the hole and hitting the pocket facing it rotates ''inward''.

If you use allot of outside cueing to make the object ball you have to hit the obj. ball fatter and gear/steer the obj. ball into the pocket.
Just like using an oversized cue ball on a bar table, you HAVE to hit the obj ball first with allot of spin to steer it in. You Can't hit a bigger ball into a smaller ball/and rail at the same time.

With outside cueing and making the obj ball at speed the obj ball will enter the pocket with a spin that is not willing to allow the obj. ball to turn inward, it will want to dbl the pocket unless hit PERFECT (unless your playing on bucket pockets).
It will come out Especially at higher speeds.
This is advanced knowledge that new players have difficulty understanding and I've never taught this to inexperienced students.
I would just begin with hitting the ball/rail same time, as Mosconi said in his early 50's BCA type league pocketbooks, that also explained the diamond counting system.
This is an excellent explanation. I found this out by hitting this shot 5,000 times and could not believe this was happening. Now I know why. Many, many, many thanks. Now on to my next problem shot.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
If you don't use plenty of outside english (reverse on the cushion) you have to hit the rail first.

And like several above, I like Steve Mizerak's advice which is to ignore the cushion and just shoot the ball to the target.
Yes, overcutting slightly for contact-induced throw, like the rail isn't there, results in a slightly rail-first hit.

pj
chgo

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is an excellent explanation. I found this out by hitting this shot 5,000 times and could not believe this was happening. Now I know why. Many, many, many thanks. Now on to my next problem shot.
But, then read Jay Helfert's advice which suggests using the opposite spin: hitting inside english will result in the OB having the opposite of running english when it hits the pocket facing.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Any time you're coming across a ball/cutting it in (a swiping action).... that 'swipe' naturally causes the obj. ball to rotate, unless you introduce spin on the CB with outiside. But your then mixing the two obj. ball reactions, makeing the shot way more difficult, and at high speeds, impossible to pocket with small pockets/humidity and dirt.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Any time you're coming across a ball/cutting it in (a swiping action).... that 'swipe' naturally causes the obj. ball to rotate, unless you introduce spin on the CB with outiside. But your then mixing the two obj. ball reactions, makeing the shot way more difficult, and at high speeds, impossible to pocket with small pockets/humidity and dirt.
There's a pretty easy way to add just the right amount of outside spin so that it "gears" perfectly across the OB's surface - visualize the CB's point that's directly opposite the CB/OB contact point at contact, then offset your tip 2/5 of that distance.

pj
chgo

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I wish it was that simple to me, but it's not. Maybe at slow speeds with the pocket close.... till play conditions change.
Here's a thought about two different balls with different colors.
I've not heard another mention this, but as we all know, Black absorbs more heat from the sun than white.

When I'm using extreme 3 o'clock cueing or 9 o'clock cueing, shooting worn/dirty balls, the darker ball contact point if it's the same as lets say the 1 ball, the grab/gearing is more with the darker, porous ball.

But as you know, you must change your walk up too the shot, and adjust that to speed of hit and other factors that change/ever so slightly the contact point on the obj. ball. Especially with outside cueing/squirt.

Last edited:
Reactions: sjm

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a pretty easy way to add just the right amount of outside spin so that it "gears" perfectly across the OB's surface - visualize the CB's point that's directly opposite the CB/OB contact point at contact, then offset your tip 2/5 of that distance.

pj
chgo
Is there a diagram illustrating this 2/5 offset technique? Possibly on Dr. Dave's site?

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there a diagram illustrating this 2/5 offset technique? Possibly on Dr. Dave's site?
Yes. See:

40_percent_rule.png