Classic billiards on espn classic

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good idea

You should send this post once a week ubtil every AZ'er has responded!

I'm in.

Eagle Eye

Registered
more billiards on tv is needed

Dish charges extra for the ESPN classic channel looks like the only place to watch is on some of the internet sites

mikefeiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spoke with our rep at ESPN about this a while back. The reason for the lack of pool on classic was "poor ratings and declining fan interest". The Nielsen numbers for pool on ESPN/ESPN2 are quite low and the numbers on Classic are shockingly awful.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Folks, we all want pool to become something of a premier sport. We want to watch it LIVE and watch it often. The sad reality is the bulk of America & the world does not care about it...in the least. Especially right now...down economies cause declining participation (how many pool halls have closed in your area?). Let's just face facts and stop beating our heads against the pool-on-TV wall.

Camel gave it a shot. Busch gave it a shot. IPT gave it a shot. It ain't gonna happen.

nancewayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool on TV (ESPN?)

I don't know if any of you noticed on TV, but almost everyday I see a commercial (or movie) with a pool table in it, either as a back drop or actually being used for play. Someone in advertising MUST know something about the appeal of pool! I wonder why ESPN (or other networks, VERSA, etc.) don't talk with those advertisers about advertising on ESPN showing pool programming?
???

I spoke with our rep at ESPN about this a while back. The reason for the lack of pool on classic was "poor ratings and declining fan interest". The Nielsen numbers for pool on ESPN/ESPN2 are quite low and the numbers on Classic are shockingly awful.

SKUNKBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
la, la, la, la

Folks, we all want pool to become something of a premier sport. We want to watch it LIVE and watch it often. The sad reality is the bulk of America & the world does not care about it...in the least. Especially right now...down economies cause declining participation (how many pool halls have closed in your area?). Let's just face facts and stop beating our heads against the pool-on-TV wall.

Camel gave it a shot. Busch gave it a shot. IPT gave it a shot. It ain't gonna happen.

la, la, la, la, la, did you saty something? la, la, la, la, la, la, la...

Sorry, I think everyone is thinking this, just thought I'd say it. No disrespect and I agree 100% with your opinion on this.

L8R...Ken

mikefeiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know if any of you noticed on TV, but almost everyday I see a commercial (or movie) with a pool table in it, either as a back drop or actually being used for play. Someone in advertising MUST know something about the appeal of pool! I wonder why ESPN (or other networks, VERSA, etc.) don't talk with those advertisers about advertising on ESPN showing pool programming?
???

One of the things you have to keep in mind is that most large companies do not cherry pick programming. They will register an ad budget with their rep and say "please spend $XXX on programming that carries this demographic". The rep then goes through the available programming with matching demos and tries to find inventory that will best fit the advertisers needs.