Color of Money question

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was watching the film Color of Money and one thing has always struck me as odd. Why did Vince give Eddie the $8000 in the hotel room? They were no longer partners and Eddie had nothing to do with Vince dumping the match, he just happened to be Vince's opponent when he dumped. I can't imagine a pool player just handing over $8000 (60% I assume) to someone for no reason.

gpeezy

for sale!
I was watching the film Color of Money and one thing has always struck me as odd. Why did Vince give Eddie the $8000 in the hotel room? They were no longer partners and Eddie had nothing to do with Vince dumping the match, he just happened to be Vince's opponent when he dumped. I can't imagine a pool player just handing over $8000 (60% I assume) to someone for no reason.
Eddie was using them to begin with. It was a way of Vincent using him back and having an oppurtunity to get back at him "stings like a ***** doesn't it". Money was just a way of showing how good he does without eddie and how eddie is the sucker now cause he thought he beat him.

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
It was more about ego than math. He was making a statement, and it worked.

gpeezy

for sale!
Eddie was using them to begin with. It was a way of Vincent using him back and having an oppurtunity to get back at him "stings like a ***** doesn't it". Money was just a way of showing how good he does without eddie and how eddie is the sucker now cause he thought he beat him.
***** btich

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I understand that Vince wanted to stick it to Eddie but he easily could have done that without giving him the money, I mean can you imagine any pool player just giving someone $8000?

knifemaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
color of money

You can't believe it because you have been around a lot of pool players I guess. A lot of players would cheat their horse out of his share if he was out of the room. I will get a lot of crap but I have seen it so many times. One of the reasons I got out of the pool scene in the 80's. I have been wanting to try and play again, but that is all just play.
If people acted more honorable in this sport it would be a bigger sport.
It has always been me me me no one else mattered.
That is one reason so many orginizations fail in pool, everyone is out for thereself not the sport.
Percy

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member

Well, you're asking what's in the screenwriter's head. Here's a theory. Because he had been such a backward student of the art of hustling, Vince wanted to show Eddie how much he learned from him, kind of like saying "See how much I learned from you! I'm not such a dummy as you thought I was." He felt he should give Eddie his share because Eddie taught him how to hustle and by losing Eddie was a part of the big win.

But Eddie had changed by this time. Pride had taken over, and Eddie refused the money. He was out to win for himself now, and if he took the money it would be like going back to his old ways of anything for a buck instead of being the best he could be.

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
Vince gives it to him because he is a character. Eddie gives it back because he has character.

The other way to look at it is this scene is a deliberate inversion of the final scene of the original "The Hustler". In that Eddie and his backer Bert part ways after a violent argument on the road. When Eddie reappears and beats the top player with his own money Bert tells him he owes him his share, on the basis he's still his backer whether Eddie likes it or not. In TCOM Eddie has a chance to do the same, but his character is reborn instead of being crushed.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vince gives it to him because he is a character. Eddie gives it back because he has character.

The other way to look at it is this scene is a deliberate inversion of the final scene of the original "The Hustler". In that Eddie and his backer Bert part ways after a violent argument on the road. When Eddie reappears and beats the top player with his own money Bert tells him he owes him his share, on the basis he's still his backer whether Eddie likes it or not. In TCOM Eddie has a chance to do the same, but his character is reborn instead of being crushed.

Ding ding.

Kelly

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Seems like this scene has a lot of different meanings to all that have posted. I thought that Vince thought Newman knew he could never beat Vince and knew he dumped the game and felt like it was a dump and split deal. When Newman refused the money and Vince saw the look on his face he saw that Newman really thought he beat him on the square. The last scene where the movie ends with Newman breaking against Vince and shouting "I'm Back" was to be continued in the next picture that never happened. I heard Newman didn't enjoy working with Cruise, but I don't know that for anywhere near sure. Maybe someone on the left coast and is in the biz would know. Don't forget Vince was a flake, not in anyway like your run of the mill road player. He thought different than others. Johnnyt

poolhustla61508

Yea....That just happened
Silver Member
gooders

This is a lil off topic but what does it mean when Amos asks Eddie if he thinks he should lose some weight after he beats him. I don't think eddie was spotting him anything so was amos just being a smarta$$ or what that part has always puzzled me.