COULD SOMEONE SUPPLY A LINK TO APPLETON OUTBURST AND REASON FOR HIS BAN/SUSPENSION...THANKS

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For years, I was disgusted at some of the pool brethren overseas, comparing them to emotionless robots playing mum pool. Even Ronnie O'Sullivan cracks a smile and engages with the audience from time to time in the heat of the battle, and snooker fans love him for it. He's outspoken, sometimes arrogant, and I just think he's a hoot.

Thank goodness for players like Joshua Filler, Jayson Shaw, Alex Pagulayan, and Naoyuki Oi who aren't afraid to show emotion. American pool could use more just like them. They make pool exciting, especially for mainstream viewers who are not pool fans—yet. :p

Jerry OC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For years, I was disgusted at some of the pool brethren overseas, comparing them to emotionless robots playing mum pool. Even Ronnie O'Sullivan cracks a smile and engages with the audience from time to time in the heat of the battle, and snooker fans love him for it. He's outspoken, sometimes arrogant, and I just think he's a hoot.

Thank goodness for players like Joshua Filler, Jayson Shaw, Alex Pagulayan, and Naoyuki Oi who aren't afraid to show emotion. American pool could use more just like them. They make pool exciting, especially for mainstream viewers who are not pool fans—yet. :p
JAM, this is off the wall, but can you ask Keith when he went on the road with Hawaiian Brian, who was the better 9 ball player?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So Cal in the 70s: Some guy asks me if Brian could give Keith the 8. Idon't think I even knew who HB was! lol...

Oh yeah, so 50 years or so later Mr. McReady, could you please put that question to rest? :D

woodyosborne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The whole thing with piss tests is that it’s kinda of intrusive and a pain.

The USAF makes you submit to random testing but it’s never always random and when you keep winning the lottery it (wait for it) pisses you off.

Long time ago I put my retirement papers in and suddenly I was a very lucky guy: three tests in two months. I went to our squadron first shirt and told him, “I’ll take all the tests you want but if my name comes up again I sharing that info with the general” (I was on his personal staff).

Never got picked again.

Lou Figueroa
family member was master sergeant in AF. staff suspected a guy was doing drugs. let's see: randomly test ages 35-42, males, e4 -e7, etc. it worked.

Jerry OC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So Cal in the 70s: Some guy asks me if Brian could give Keith the 8. Idon't think I even knew who HB was! lol...

Oh yeah, so 50 years or so later Mr. McReady, could you please put that question to rest? :D
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I would've asked JAM directly but unable to send her a message. The deal was Keith was about 17 when HB took him on the road, was just curious how they would've matched up back then. This was early 70's and I think they won like 40k.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
He wouldn't have lasted long in the rooms i grew up in. Rooms in OkC, Tulsa, Dallas, KC were places that a strutty prima-dona act would have resulted in a ass whippin. He shoots straighter than Dick Tracy but his little man-bitch act gets old.

I think that remains true even today--Filler's shrieking in the face of his opponents would cause fights in many pool rooms (or golf courses or basketball courts). Perhaps a cultural difference between the club where Filler learned to play versus the melting pot of the typical American sports competition.

Filler's one of my favorite players to watch FWIW and maybe I even look forward to his victory out bursts. It's like watching a Nascar wreck.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I would've asked JAM directly but unable to send her a message. The deal was Keith was about 17 when HB took him on the road, was just curious how they would've matched up back then. This was early 70's and I think they won like 40k.
Not that I've dwelled on it all these years but your post reminded me and I figured good enough segue lol...

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member

You aren't going to get the answer you are curious about because this was before current texas express nine ball. Two foul was a much different beast. The winner at two foul and before jump cues and other modern equipment won't answer who would have been the better nine ball player in today's environment.

To take things around in a circle, Keith would give the world the eight, but Buddy Hall was out of this world! Buddy against Hawaiian Brian on the big track, I would take Buddy in a long battle. Any of the three could come down to a given day thing though, especially on the short track.

A funny story about who is best, I was doing serious grunt work, dangerous as hell, and working cheap. Stopped for a beer one afternoon with my working partner and dead cold after turning wrenches on eighteen wheelers all day I saw Bobby run an eight pack on a barbox. Shhee-yiii-it! "Bobby, we gotta talk." Hit the road with him two days later. I figured he could do the heavy lifting, I would trim around the edges, and we would split the dollars. We made a handful of trips. I never saw Bobby shoot that well again and I was the one that did all of the heavy lifting! Still nice to have somebody watching your back when you are bent over a pool table with most of the locals pissed at you but things didn't work how I had planned.

Hu

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that remains true even today--Filler's shrieking in the face of his opponents would cause fights in many pool rooms (or golf courses or basketball courts). Perhaps a cultural difference between the club where Filler learned to play versus the melting pot of the typical American sports competition.

i don't know about his home club, but when he came onto the eurotour scene everybody wasn't in love with his ways lol. it's not a german thing either, rather the opposite. most german players i know of are quiet and polite. i think filler is very unique in many ways, extreme talent, very dedicated and ultra-competitive. the perfect storm, so to speak.

when he was over at roy's basement he couldn't take losing at cornhole, having never played the game. so he practiced cornhole until he could beat them all. another story i think bobby c told was that filler was pissed at having won a one pocket money match 15-1. he was pissed because he wanted to win 15-0...

"I can can see 'wipe the smirk off your face' sounding like "or I'll do it for you" is implied, if the guy is standing or looks like he's about to jump out of his chair. If he's fully sitting down, probably not."

I thought the same thing. If you are standing in a bar/poolhall and someone states "wipe that smirk off your face", you don't generally let your attention wonder too far from that conversation as things could go sideways at that point.

A separate note, I don't understand the push for a "Clean league". Was this a big problem that needed to be addressed? Were pros arriving tweaked out of their heads? Who honestly gives a damn what professional pool players do at home?

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i don't know about his home club, but when he came onto the eurotour scene everybody wasn't in love with his ways lol. it's not a german thing either, rather the opposite. most german players i know of are quiet and polite. i think filler is very unique in many ways, extreme talent, very dedicated and ultra-competitive. the perfect storm, so to speak.

when he was over at roy's basement he couldn't take losing at cornhole, having never played the game. so he practiced cornhole until he could beat them all. another story i think bobby c told was that filler was pissed at having won a one pocket money match 15-1. he was pissed because he wanted to win 15-0...
Story done on him in Billiards Digest three years ago interviewed Mika and Jayson and they said he would fist pump and cheer after each shot when he was a kid.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Keith said he went on his first road trip with Brian when Keith was 15, and Brian gave Keith the call-8 at that time, but when Keith seasoned a little and turned 17 or 18, Brian wouldn't play him even. Brian would have gotten the 8 and 9 from Keith at that juncture.

Keith was with Brian in Oklahoma City on that first road trip of Keith's, and Buddy Hall gave Brian the 8 and 9. Brian beat him. That was on Keith's first road trip at age 15.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keith said he went on his first road trip with Brian when Keith was 15, and Brian gave Keith the call-8 at that time, but when Keith seasoned a little and turned 17 or 18, Brian wouldn't play him even. Brian would have gotten the 8 and 9 from Keith at that juncture.

Keith was with Brian in Oklahoma City on that first road trip of Keith's, and Buddy Hall gave Brian the 8 and 9. Brian beat him. That was on Keith's first road trip at age 15.
Thanks. Brain worm vanquished. I'd guess Keith was in his 20s when the question came up and the general consensus among us noobs was Keith could spot anybody.

Jerry OC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

JAM, I haven't talked to Keith in awhile, we ran around for a little bit back in the day. We went to Bert Schrager's place a few times when Keith needed some work done on his cue. I remember the days back at Bob's Billiards on Orangethorpe & Magnolia along with the Blonde Bomber!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've worked Nuclear for 31 years and didn't have my first random till at least year 20, I mentioned that when they called me in and guess what, it was another ~ 10 years before another one.

People see things where they want to see them and try to validate every coincidence.

If I talked to the drug tester like that, I would be out of the Nuclear industry permanently.
And for me, that is the crux of daz's story too: he consents to testing as a condition of his participation, as you do for conditions of your employment.