CSI Junior Program

sarahrousey

pro player
Silver Member
I know there was already a thread about this but I would like to start another with more details.

Many people know that promoting the game of pool is something that is very important to me. Helping the junior players and helping our sport grow is also something that is very important to me. I may not go down in history as being the greatest player ever, but I would like to leave my mark on the game whether it is through playing or organizing programs like this.

CSI has been nice enough to let me be involved with them on this junior project. We are trying to raise funds to help the players in the United States start taking things as serious as other countries. Players from other countries go to events with coaches and they train as if pool is a serious sport. That is something that we are hoping to offer the kids that earn a spot to play in the Junior World Championships.

Details are also being worked out to do regional 'cue camps' that will be offered for kids at all levels. I will be back further on that soon after everything is ironed out.

In Vegas for the BCAPL Nationals there will be an opportunity to challenge your favorite pro players every day from 4-6pm on the 9ft tables and "Challenge the Stars" on May 17th on the bar tables.

If you are someone that has the capability of donating products to raffle off and are interested in doing so, please contact me at sarahr@playcsipool.com.

If you would like to make a donation to the program you can do so via paypal by going to my blog and clicking the donate button. You will get a confirmation saying that you donated to the Junior Program. I am also working to put together a gift package to send to those of you that donate. That will be figured out during the BCAPL event.

I'd like to say thank you to Scott Lee for his donation of Two full-day lessons and to NoStroke for his monetary donation!

Thank you everyone and I hope to see you all in Vegas!

Sarah

sunnyday

Ima Gangsta Bunny!
Silver Member
I guess not a lot of people are interested or don't care.

Feel free to ask any question, please - we're all ears - get involved!

This is another Brain Child of Mark Griffin/ CEO/ CSI. What he is trying to do is to help the American Junior Pool Players get to (Junior) World Championships with best help and aid possible.

It is sad that our Juniors go out to the World Championship as RAW talent and with NO support.

What CSI's Junior Program is about is giving our kids little support from the community. We can't do this all on our own. Please open up your heart and contribute as much as you can.

Thanks for lending me your ears :)

S.G.

Last edited:

TimKrazyMon

Kid Delicious' Evil Twin
Silver Member
Congrats Sarah on the position with CSI's new Juniors program. You've done more than any pro I can think of helping out the kids, kudos to you. If I were still employed, you could definitely count on a donation from me. When things turn around here, I have your paypal address.

CarlB

Formerly AfghanBilliards
Silver Member
These threads make me wish two things...

One: I wish I was in a position to help, donate, or contribute in some form or fashion to help the kids out.

Two: It makes me wish I was a kid or had these opportunities when I was younger. Whats happening here is amazing. In case you do not realize it, the youth in our sport are the FUTURE of our sport. Imagine how different our sport would be if when we were all youngsters we had Professional Players mentoring us!

Amazing Job Sarah, thank you for all you do.

Carl

sunnyday

Ima Gangsta Bunny!
Silver Member
Thanks, Tim & Carl.

Some times spreading the word is help enough. I feel you guys - please, keep this thread alive :)

S.G.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I think working with the youth and giving them a jump start is amazing. Sarah is great with kids, mostly because they are about the same height! The more kids you can get into pool, the bigger pool can grow. Thanks to Sarah, CSI and everyone involved.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I know there was already a thread about this but I would like to start another with more details.

Many people know that promoting the game of pool is something that is very important to me. Helping the junior players and helping our sport grow is also something that is very important to me. I may not go down in history as being the greatest player ever, but I would like to leave my mark on the game whether it is through playing or organizing programs like this.

What is stopping you from starting a program like this in the billiard room you regularly attend?

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a serious question.

First, I want to say that I love and admire what Mark Griffin/CSI/BCAPL/Diamond are doing to promote pool and grow our sport. And Sarah, you are the greatest for donating your time to this cause. I'm just confused about where the money is going.

I have been friends w/Laura Smith since I moved to Colorado in 2001 and I'm familiar w/her BEF program whose whole focus is educating and helping the kids (juniors) w/ qualifying tournaments around the country. Is the money raised going into one big pot to help the juniors i.e. attend the World Championship? Or is this now a separate organization? Because I wasn't able to attend this years fundraiser, I sent $20 to the BEF foundation as a donation just to do my small part, but now I'm confused (which is a common thing for me ;) ).

Please help clarify this for me.

I do urge the AZB community to support the juniors in any way they can, they are the future of our sport.

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited:

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
I wish I was in a position to help, donate, or contribute in some form or fashion to help the kids out.

Carl, whether you realize it or not, you already are contributing - and in a big way. You're contributing to their freedom to be able to participate in programs like this.

sarahrousey

pro player
Silver Member
I have a serious question.

First, I want to say that I love and admire what Mark Griffin/CSI/BCAPL/Diamond are doing to promote pool and grow our sport. And Sarah, you are the greatest for donating your time to this cause. I'm just confused about where the money is going.

I have been friends w/Laura Smith since I moved to Colorado in 2001 and I'm familiar w/her BEF program whose whole focus is educating and helping the kids (juniors) w/ qualifying tournaments around the country. Is the money raised going into one big pot to help the juniors i.e. attend the World Championship? Or is this now a separate organization? Because I wasn't able to attend this years fundraiser, I sent $20 to the BEF foundation as a donation just to do my small part, but now I'm confused (which is a common thing for me ;) ).

Please help clarify this for me.

I do urge the AZB community to support the juniors in any way they can, they are the future of our sport.

Thanks,

Dave

Hey Dave,

Thanks for bringing this up. I forgot that little detail. CSI is working with the BEF. The money will go toward helping the kids that qualify via the BEF Junior Nationals. It is a different organization but as I said, working together with the BEF.

I believe the BEF uses its funds to put on the Junior Nationals, college scholarships and other junior programs here in the states. What CSI is trying to do is help after that is finished and the kids are sent to the World Events. We are trying to promote pool to the younger crowd in a positive light and hope they stay involved and fuel the future of our sport. As everyone knows, pool isn't exactly the number one sport in the US, but it is in other countries and it shows in competition. I know that I would like to see pool become something great while I am still around. Hopefully we can build a base to see it take off.

Dave, I still owe you a picture from last years Challenge the Stars. I need to find it for you. Sorry.

I'm always here to answer questions if anyone has any. Everyone knows Mark and Sunny also answer questions quickly.

Sarah

sarahrousey

pro player
Silver Member
I also forgot, thanks to everyone responding. I know not everyone can donate but that isn't the only way to help. Talking about it and letting others know that things are going to start looking up, finding out and letting us know if you have a lot of kids interested in your area, anything really is helping and much appreciated.

justnum....nothing is stopping me from doing anything like this in the room I play out of. In the past it has been travel. When my family owned the pool room we actually had a very successful junior program. I am hoping that somewhere here in Bloomington/Normal can be the site of an instructional camp when it all gets organized.

Sarah

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave, I still owe you a picture from last years Challenge the Stars. I need to find it for you. Sorry.

Yes you Do! :thumbup:

Just to clarify my confused state, here is a description of what BEF does from their website:

"The BEF supports youth by funding academic scholarships, produces the Junior National 9-Ball Championships and sponsors billiard athletes to attend the WPA World Junior 9-Ball Championships."

My hope is that all the money raised through CSI & BEF works together for these goals and do not compete with each other. It sounds like you guys have it under control, but wanted to clarify the reason for my concern.

Sarah, thanks for your quick reply, you are the best!

Dave

sarahrousey

pro player
Silver Member
Nope, definitely no competing with each other. It is more like making each other bigger and better. Mark and Laura have spoken about everything. The BEF does sponsor the players to go to the World Juniors by providing them with a spot to play via the Junior Nationals.

Laura has always worked very hard and done a great job with everything and will definitely continue to do so. We all have a common goal and as everyone knows, there is already too much conflict and stepping on toes in the pool world. We need more cooperation!

Sarah

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Junior Program

Dave (12squared) (and others)-

As Sarah accurately put it, we are a seperate organization but working toward a common goal.

BEF (through Laura Smith) will be holding the Junior Nationals. We will we sending juniors to that program - and after the National champions are determined, we will try to support their game.

We want to have support people ready for the junior champions to help their chances at the World event. In the past, it seems many of the other countries send a whole bunch of support people.

We want our players to have support before and during the world event. We anticipate providing some instruction and coaching to raise their awareness of different strategies, to provide mental seasoning, and to have people on site to prevent them being sharked by other players/countries.

We have some more good ideas on how to build up the junior program and think this is the right thing to do.

Bottom line is we support the BEF and all that they do. However, we have different skills and talents and we will channel them towards making the junior players in the US even stronger.

Mark Griffin

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave (12squared) (and others)-

As Sarah accurately put it, we are a seperate organization but working toward a common goal.

BEF (through Laura Smith) will be holding the Junior Nationals. We will we sending juniors to that program - and after the National champions are determined, we will try to support their game.

We want to have support people ready for the junior champions to help their chances at the World event. In the past, it seems many of the other countries send a whole bunch of support people.

We want our players to have support before and during the world event. We anticipate providing some instruction and coaching to raise their awareness of different strategies, to provide mental seasoning, and to have people on site to prevent them being sharked by other players/countries.

We have some more good ideas on how to build up the junior program and think this is the right thing to do.

Bottom line is we support the BEF and all that they do. However, we have different skills and talents and we will channel them towards making the junior players in the US even stronger.

Mark Griffin

Mark,

Thank you for your crystal clear answer...as usual. And thank you for all you do to promote and grow pool in the US :thumbup:. I wish I could have joined you for the 1-pocket, it looks like it will be a fabulous event.

Wishing you success in all your endeavors!

Dave

Holly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is a tremendous project, one that I know is close to everyone at CSI's hearts since most of us play and have loved the sport since youngsters. Sarah is the perfect person for this project not only as a former U.S. Junior National Champion but also because she is passionate, organized, a true asset to the game and a pleasure to work with.

All who plan to be at the Riviera for the BCAPL Nationals, the U.S. Open One Pocket or 10-Ball Championship stop by the CSI 14.1 Booth, the CSI Tech booth for opportunities to help as well as come whup some tushy at the Beat the Pro :) fundraiser May 17th starting at 8 pm in the Grande Ballroom.

All the best,
Holly