Cue prices on Ebay WTF is going on?

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I watch Ebay briefly every day, just to check for cues. I'm happy with my current cue, but there is no harm in looking, right? So there are some cues by JD that started off at like 500dollars which have been on ebay for many months now, I'm estimating 6months plus, that have been steadily rising in price and are now at the 1000 dollar mark. I don't get it? The cues don't get sold, so you raise the price? Other cues by more known makers have been on there for a year or so at the same price, one of them has been there for what seems like forever, must be years now.

Luckily there has been an influx of reasonably priced customs as well. I just find this weird, and closely resembling the AZ for sale forum. Is there some kind of phenomenon that I'm not aware of here?
 
I watch Ebay briefly every day, just to check for cues. I'm happy with my current cue, but there is no harm in looking, right? So there are some cues by JD that started off at like 500dollars which have been on ebay for many months now, I'm estimating 6months plus, that have been steadily rising in price and are now at the 1000 dollar mark. I don't get it? The cues don't get sold, so you raise the price? Other cues by more known makers have been on there for a year or so at the same price, one of them has been there for what seems like forever, must be years now.

Luckily there has been an influx of reasonably priced customs as well. I just find this weird, and closely resembling the AZ for sale forum. Is there some kind of phenomenon that I'm not aware of here?

I'm guessing they had it for sale, then someone in the local pool room saw it and said "that cue should be 1,000, look at all the work on it" without knowing the maker, and next thing you know, it's up at 1,000. They may also be hoping for a best offer to their real price they want, if they double it, some guy may see it a bargain at 50% off. People on craigslist do this all the time, the put something up that was worth what they are asking for it 4 years ago, then when I tell them they are way overpricing it, they say "well mine is in good shape and people will try to talk you down anyway", so they think listing at double the price will get them a sale at half the price which is what it's worth. All I know is that if you list your 10 year old Pentium 4 computer for $300, I'm not even going to bother looking at it.
 
I'm guessing they had it for sale, then someone in the local pool room saw it and said "that cue should be 1,000, look at all the work on it" without knowing the maker, and next thing you know, it's up at 1,000. They may also be hoping for a best offer to their real price they want, if they double it, some guy may see it a bargain at 50% off. People on craigslist do this all the time, the put something up that was worth what they are asking for it 4 years ago, then when I tell them they are way overpricing it, they say "well mine is in good shape and people will try to talk you down anyway", so they think listing at double the price will get them a sale at half the price which is what it's worth. All I know is that if you list your 10 year old Pentium 4 computer for $300, I'm not even going to bother looking at it.

Maybe. Seems reasonable. Someone will get a "sweet deal" at 50% off:rolleyes:. At least there are some new cues now, for a while it was as stagnant as marsh water in there.
 
I have been doing a lot of selling on Ebay for the past few years and a lot of sellers believe in raising the price to force a sale. I tried it with a buy now that had 4 or 5 watchers for a week or two and it worked! It is kinda like what they do on pawn stars when you haggle too much they start offering less...
 
people who over price their items are not interested in selling, they are interested in fishing
 
Not that it's your guys fault, EBay's, or anyone elses.

Canadian exchange rate is at 33% at the moment. I have gotten back into archery.

Been bidding on the odd recurve bow, accessories and such as I only have one Compound bow from the Olden Days.

Anyway, when bidding, there comes a point in time very quickly that I have to stop bidding.

I hope that something softens up by the time that I need to do another large cue supply order.

Purdy Scary for Canuckians. I guess that I should be thankful that our Free Health Care System, Hahahahahahaha, is Free, Hahahahahahahahaha.

The only bad part about our Free Health Care, is that they don't pay for the Funeral expenses. But what should one expect. They Kill you for Free.

On the other side of the Coinage, I can now buy a tank of gas for the truck for 80 bucks. Beer. Still $41.50 for 18. That hits me the hardest. Tryin to keep a thirsty man down. Gonna replace my Liver soon. It will be Free.
 
Last edited:
Between Ebay and Pay pals insane fees, the cues, especially the buy it now
ones start off with crazy pricing to cover the fees.
 
Hey Dad. I was going to buy, or bid on a hand tooled archery arm guard. Made in Canada. Everything is in USD.

Shipping to come over 2 Provinces was $33 and change, USD.

So, I messaged this person and asked if they couldn't adjust shipping. After all, it wasn't going International.

The Lady got back to me and said, "That's how we make our money".

Cool, none of mine tho.

EBay's Global Shipping Rates that they do now are quite often the deciding factor for myself, when bidding or buying.

Was a time when Cabelas was more expensive than any hunting item on EBay.

That has changed.
 
How is it I bought a cue off ebay for 265 and after a delivery problem ,talked to the seller on the phone. Asked how much ebay fees were and he said I dont know? Paypal
Fees were 3%?
 
call a guy in the Philippines and get the same cue done for $150. thats like 600 in philipino peso.
 
Alpha, if you are referring to what I posted, I wasn't talking Pay Pal Fees.

The difference between the American and Canadian dollar is approx 33% at the moment.

.33 cents on the dollar. Our dollar is worth .67 cents to yours.
 
call a guy in the Philippines and get the same cue done for $150. thats like 600 in philipino peso.

That would be nice, but...I have bought cues from the Phillipines before. They claimed Paypal didn't work there (lol). So I had to send the money by courier (no security what so ever). It was through pure luck that I actually got my cue at all. It was not a very expensive cue, otherwise I would never have risked sending money to a 3. world country on the blind like that.

The cue was not nice, not good quality at all. Warped etc. I've also bought some through Ebay that were decent (not fantastic, and did warp slightly). JD has gotten a good rep for quality work. Other Phillipino makers are making cues in so humid (no AC) shops that they might as well be making them underwater, with non seasoned wood, turning too fast etc. By the time they get to a dry, northern climate they will bend like overboiled spaghetti.
 
Alpha, if you are referring to what I posted, I wasn't talking Pay Pal Fees.

The difference between the American and Canadian dollar is approx 33% at the moment.

.33 cents on the dollar. Our dollar is worth .67 cents to yours.

Damn, Terry ....... that just plain frickin' BLOWS !!!
 
Yeah, it Blows even worse since the Canadian Hookers are charging in USD now.

And get this, they are even trying to tack on a Handling Fee.

It's like, Sweety, I am not doing an EBay Auction here, I am doing a Buy It Now.

Meeee love you long time GI now costs extra.

Crap. No thanks. I will just go to Macdonalds and do it in the Drive Thru while waiting for my order.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, it Blows even worse since the Canadian Hookers are charging in USD now.

And get this, they are even trying to tack on a Handling Fee.

It's like, Sweety, I am not doing an EBay Auction here, I am doing a Buy It Now.

Meeee love you long time GI now costs extra.


I'm tacking on a bubble wrap surcharge to all future sales on AZ.
The shipping & fee's will still be included, but the bubble wrap is killing me.
 
As long as it isn't used Bubble Wrap and still has some good Pops left in it.

I'm a Pay It Forward kinda guy. If I get good Bubble Wrap, the next guy down the line gets it.


Is the "Express" option more expensive?

As far as I know, the Express is still up against the closest Red Disposal bin. Usually cheaper. Try not to pick one behind a restaurant. They are usually more smelly. The disposal bins I mean, not the girls. Well, that also.
 
Last edited:
Hey Dad. I was going to buy, or bid on a hand tooled archery arm guard. Made in Canada. Everything is in USD.

Shipping to come over 2 Provinces was $33 and change, USD.

So, I messaged this person and asked if they couldn't adjust shipping. After all, it wasn't going International.

The Lady got back to me and said, "That's how we make our money".

Cool, none of mine tho.

EBay's Global Shipping Rates that they do now are quite often the deciding factor for myself, when bidding or buying.

Was a time when Cabelas was more expensive than any hunting item on EBay.

That has changed.

I need to adjust shipping to be over the charge since ebay takes a fee from shipping also. So we have ebay sales fee, ebay shipping fee, and PayPal fee which eBay owns.

I sell a lot of computer parts and laptops on there and it's a bit tough to balance a good price and having to think about the total fees you get hit with.
 
Alpha, if you are referring to what I posted, I wasn't talking Pay Pal Fees.

The difference between the American and Canadian dollar is approx 33% at the moment.

.33 cents on the dollar. Our dollar is worth .67 cents to yours.

No I know about your "weak" dollar.

I am referring to what ebay charges to list/sell an item.
 
Back
Top