curving an object ball....

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hope you try the challenge with the markers in place when you shoot the shot. It sure looks like more than an inch of bend is possible from your estimates.
I must admit that I now believe that it might be possible to beat the new challenge with a near-perfect hit of a near-perfect shot on some tables with favorable conditions (with a little luck thrown in). I look forward to seeing what is possible, and I am happy to pay my part of the $200 for the best effort and $2000 if the challenge is beat.

Good luck to those who plan to go for the cheese.

Regards,
Dave

Blue Jam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And, I agree with everything you said. I've mentioned that some of Dr. Dave's stuff is spot on and scientific proof i.e. his super slow motion camera work. The thing i was calling Dr. Dave on, goes back before your time on the forums.

Back in the mid 2000's, Dr. Dave burst on the scene with instructional articles and all kinds of pontifications on "how it should be done". Thing is, at the time, he was a rank beginner, a D player, and hardly in any position to teach things from an experts point of view, when he himself, hasn't mastered the basics yet. Now, do you have to be a pro, to teach? Of course not. But, at the other end, if you are a rank beginner, you're in no position to teach anything.

Eric

To prove your point, can you point to any specific examples where incorrect information was provided by Dave? Given the veracity with which you've asserted his inability to teach, there must be volumes of such inaccuracies posted as fact? Your top five such examples will make interesting reading, I'm sure.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can the ball curve much?
Mark makes a nice video.
Money flies in spring.

Last edited:

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
I made Florian Venom Kohler aware of this challenge. If anyone can do it he can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I made Florian Venom Kohler aware of this challenge. If anyone can do it he can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Anybody that has a good "stroke" can do it.

It isn't "doing it" that is the problem.

The problem is satisfying the scientists.

It WON'T be DONE until the scientists say it is DONE...even if it is DONE.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Anybody that has a good "stroke" can do it.

It isn't "doing it" that is the problem.

The problem is satisfying the EGOS

It WON'T be DONE until the scientists say it is DONE...even if it is DONE.

There, fixed that for ya.
This whole thread reminds me of why the pool world is ridiculous and people get bent out of shape all the time over ridiculous stuff.
Especially novice players.

You have 2 C players. The stars align one day and one of them magically runs a 4 pack in 9 ball, and then goes right back to C speed once the stars dis-align again.
The other player has never run a 4 pack, and immediately, his ego gets hurt.
So now, 4 pack guy MUST be lying, cause if Cs can run 4 packs, SURELY non4pack would have been able to do it by now, and since he can't, 4pack is lying or must be rated wrong.
All because the guys ego got bruised and he can't do what the other guy did.

It's all about whether they themselves can do it or not. Not if it actually happened or if it's the truth.
And if they can't do it, ITS ALL LIES!

So here, the topic of curving balls comes up.
Bank champ says he will post a video, of what is COMMON knowledge amongst high end bank pool players. Lots of people know he is telling the truth.
Champ posts the video of a ball curving.
Non champs deny there is a curve.
Non champs can't reproduce the effect
Non champs claim that during the shot, a friggin mirage appeared on the table and that everyone is hallucinating.
Cameras fail, eyes deceive, people hallucinate.
Then the non champs DOUBLE DOWN and want MORE proof, even though they deny that the ball clearly curves.
Someone posts a better video.
Non champs want measurements as more proof.
Measurements are made.
Non champs want more videos of curve because curving slightly APPARENTLY ISNT ENOUGH.

ALL BECAUSE THEY WERE WRONG AND LACKED THE STROKE TO DO IT THEMSELVES.
SO RIDICULOUS!

Just admit you were wrong and that your strokes suck already and be done with it.

Last edited:

moose man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tell the truth. People with no character renege.

If Bob Jewett is a man of character he PAYS THE MAN.

And the same for Dr. Dave.

You're way off base. So if somebody very clearly says, "If you follow these very specific instructions reading ABC, you will earn a cash prize" they are obligated to pay someone who doesn't even come close to following ABC? Crazy!

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're way off base. So if somebody very clearly says, "If you follow these very specific instructions reading ABC, you will earn a cash prize" they are obligated to pay someone who doesn't even come close to following ABC? Crazy!

Typical "carny" scam.

Buy some cotton candy while you're there.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There, fixed that for ya.
This whole thread reminds me of why the pool world is ridiculous and people get bent out of shape all the time over ridiculous stuff.
Especially novice players.

You have 2 C players. The stars align one day and one of them magically runs a 4 pack in 9 ball, and then goes right back to C speed once the stars dis-align again.
The other player has never run a 4 pack, and immediately, his ego gets hurt.
So now, 4 pack guy MUST be lying, cause if Cs can run 4 packs, SURELY non4pack would have been able to do it by now, and since he can't, 4pack is lying or must be rated wrong.
All because the guys ego got bruised and he can't do what the other guy did.

It's all about whether they themselves can do it or not. Not if it actually happened or if it's the truth.
And if they can't do it, ITS ALL LIES!

So here, the topic of curving balls comes up.
Bank champ says he will post a video, of what is COMMON knowledge amongst high end bank pool players. Lots of people know he is telling the truth.
Champ posts the video of a ball curving.
Non champs deny there is a curve.
Non champs can't reproduce the effect
Non champs claim that during the shot, a friggin mirage appeared on the table and that everyone is hallucinating.
Cameras fail, eyes deceive, people hallucinate.
Then the non champs DOUBLE DOWN and want MORE proof, even though they deny that the ball clearly curves.
Someone posts a better video.
Non champs want measurements as more proof.
Measurements are made.
Non champs want more videos of curve because curving slightly APPARENTLY ISNT ENOUGH.

ALL BECAUSE THEY WERE WRONG AND LACKED THE STROKE TO DO IT THEMSELVES.
SO RIDICULOUS!

Just admit you were wrong and that your strokes suck already and be done with it.

Or maybe it's just not curving much.

I'm guessing that when all is said and done, just like for the 11 railer I described, everyone (including McGoorty's drunk Girl Scout) will be able to get that little bit of curve. It's just a matter of understanding the technique, much like how to beat a kiss on certain banks. No magic secret sauce pro stroke required.

Of course... if someone installs new cloth, polishes up the balls (and get the de-humidifier going :), maybe they'll get a little more curve. But most of us don't play with those conditions day-to-day.

Lou Figueroa

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Except, I had the three points to measure by, the rail ball, the center ball, and the pocket point, or where the ball entered the pocket. The problem with the setup that was discribed is you would need to make tha ball fit their track line, that is not how it works IMO. The ball does what it does, you cannot control how many bounces or how far it will be airborn before it hops. I just knew you can curve the ball and I proved it.
Mark

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The problem with the setup that was described is you would need to make tha ball fit their track line
The revised challenge will be this way also. But you are free to choose any track line you want. The best approach will be to first find the shot that you can bend the most and then lay down the track line exactly along that shot. Then beating the challenge will require a precise hit to send the ball into your chosen track. This should not be a problem for a decent shooter who has practiced the shot a lot. Even a not-so-good player should be able to get at least one good hit with a large-enough number of attempts. We will also have a simple, reliable, and convincing way to measure the effectiveness of the bend. That's the main reason for the constrained setup.

I hope you will give it a try at some point. You set a good example for both how to bend and how to film high-quality video. Again, the $200 is automatic (for the person with the most effective bend), and the $2000 is available for the first person to beat the challenge (as it will be described and demonstrated, hopefully by the end of the week ... we're still working on it).

Regards,
Dave