Custom Pool Room

dsoriano

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dsoriano...Your project is sure coming along nicely! It will certainly be a pleasurable place to "hang out" when you have it completed...especially knowing you did it all yourself (with a little help). :thumbup: When is your estimated completion?

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Thanks Mr Lee. I was hoping to be done by November, but it's quite a bit of work and having the room so cluttered with supplies has really slowed me down, alot. I'm constantly having to shift and move things from one side to the other. I'm still shooting for the end of November but we'll see.

dsoriano

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amazing project dsoriano!

I have a stupid question but I am curious to know the answer. From the pics I see the structure of the pool room is on top of concrete blocks. Will it always be like that and why?

Sorry for the stupid question.

Not stupid just not familiar with building practices. Refer to post #35

TheCutShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your wife is sure gonna miss you when you get it finished! Heck, I'd just put in a bunk or a hammock and live in it.

I see the ceiling fans in the diagram, but what about A/C & Heating? I would also add a De-Humidifier! especially for Austin,TX.

You're certainly a talented & determined man to have done all of this yourself with just your dads help. A few lessons from the PoolSchool in Dallas and you'll be tearing up the Pool scene in Austin in no time.

Enjoy it, we're all jealous!

Sam
http://www.thecutshot.com

Last edited:

dsoriano

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see the ceiling fans in the diagram, but what about A/C & Heating? I would also add a De-Humidifier! especially for Austin,TX.
http://www.thecutshot.com

If you refer to previous posting #15 you will notice the A/C design work and the layout.
Humidity is not a real issue here, only when it rains.The house wrap and the really tight insulation/sealing cuts down exterior penetration.
And most importantly with a well calibrated A/C system you shouldn't need a humidifier. I worked for a Structural/Mechanical Engineering firm for a few years. I learned you should never over size the A/C unit. It is designed to do more than just cool. It's design to control the climate by removing moisture out of the air. If it's oversized it will short cycle which will not do that and could lead to mold problems, also it won't filter your air thoroughly, creating a very unclean environment.

Trust me, I'm not just building a room to look good, I want it to be comfortable and well built.
My Father always said, "If you ain't gonna do it right, don't do it at all"

JMD in VA

It's All Good!
Silver Member
The Tables

Are you going to get Glenn to come down and get those tables in Diamond Shape?

Just found this thread. Love the progression of the room.

Kudo's to you, Sir!

William

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might have missed it. Do you mind telling us (me) what you have in the project minus the tables? Just the building and related.

Cue Guru

Close, but no roll...
Silver Member
This is really a great project.

Now that the insulation is in, I might add that you may have wanted to run some low voltage wire in the walls and ceiling for surround sound. I know it is of no value to you, but the next owner (cuz you built this to out last you by a good margin!) may not be as fond of pool as the rest of us normal people are.

The other thing I wanted to mention is you may want to add a third light drop (just cap it now) so that if you go to a single 4-1/2X9 or 5X10 table, you can turn it 90 degrees and have a provision for a centered light. You may never use it, but it beats tearing the ceiling down to add it later!

Great project! Butm to be correct, this is not a 'pool room' but rather a 'pool building!' Killer!

dsoriano

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might have missed it. Do you mind telling us (me) what you have in the project minus the tables? Just the building and related.

Previous post explain what I have spent so far.
For example post # 14 and some others.

dsoriano

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is really a great project.

Now that the insulation is in, I might add that you may have wanted to run some low voltage wire in the walls and ceiling for surround sound.

If you refer to previous post you will notice I have done that.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
What I like about this project the most is the traditional pool-hall style in the decor. The paneling, color choices, and layout are great. Obviously you've put an enormous amount of time and effort into this and it really shows. Having your own tavern in your backyard (literally) is envious.

I do agree with a previous post though in regards to a 9' table. If you were to upgrade in the future (you may not, but who knows what time will bring?) the lights would need to be moved. Are you planning to add the mounts for a different light setup now rather than waiting and having to adjust later? Or is easy enough for you given your obvious talent for construction?

Either way, it looks perfect to me. Thanks for sharing.

dsoriano

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just picked up the toilet. I haven't installed it yet just put it in place. I'm shooting for a commercial look. I'm thinking of using tile for the floor and running it up the walls about 40". My other idea is to install wood flooring with a dark wall color and fill the wall with black n white photos to give it a sense of being bigger than it really is.

Attachments

• Picture 100.jpg
    Picture 100.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,986

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am bowing to your manliness man cave; absolutely super project. I just stuck my table in my living room ! This is great; I wish I knew 1/4 of what you know to do this project. Great being able to follow the progress online and since I'm in San Antonio I would certainly clear the calendar for the inaugrural tourney and beer drinking when complete !! :)

Fat Ivory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Urinal

I just picked up the toilet. I haven't installed it yet just put it in place. I'm shooting for a commercial look. I'm thinking of using tile for the floor and running it up the walls about 40". My other idea is to install wood flooring with a dark wall color and fill the wall with black n white photos to give it a sense of being bigger than it really is.

For that full commercial look, do consider a urinal.
There will be a "No Girls Allowed" hand-painted sign hanging crookedly on the front door - right?

dsoriano

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For that full commercial look, do consider a urinal.
There will be a "No Girls Allowed" hand-painted sign hanging crookedly on the front door - right?

Actually I did consider that and ran the idea pas my wife, she didn't go for it.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
lol!
The irony in all this is, I own several custom cues, I love playing pool, and I'm building a pool room, but yet I can't shoot worth a darn!

If you were near New Orleans instead of Austin, you would be getting free pool lessons. :D

GREAT JOB, btw.

dsoriano

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exhaust Fan

Well I installed and wired the Bath exhaust fan. I need to pick up 3" of flex pipe this evening to vent it outside. I would have finished the insulation this weekend but these little details really eat up my time.

Attachments

• Picture 038.jpg
    Picture 038.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 2,188