Cyclop vs Aramith

jmurphy

SWEET
Silver Member
Sure...it was definitely overstatement. People think doing it strenghens their argments, but it actually does the opposite.

I understand what you are saying here.........
While the true % is well under 50% of actual skids happening, the funny thing is that it has happened enough (in a number of critical situations) that every time those shots come up in a game I get that feeling inside that I'm 50/50 on this shot skidding costing me the game or possibly the match. :eek:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regardless of brand, friction at the contact point between the CB and OB is what causes skid.

It appears from the accounts in this and other threads that Cyclop balls stay cleaner longer than competing brands -- so there is nothing about the balls themselves that causes skid. What does cause skid is guys abrading the CB over-and-over with uber-hard break tips AND using uber-sticky chalk. That's causing more friction more often.

I have my own set of Cyclop balls and don't play rotation games, use plain ole Masters chalk, and hardly ever get a skid with them. YMMV.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member
Throwing away all of your cyclops balls and replacing them with red circle cue balls and a good aramith set would be your absolute best option. Cyclops balls are trash and the only reason they are even in use is because they throw some sponsorship into tournaments.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Throwing away all of your cyclops balls and replacing them with red circle cue balls and a good aramith set would be your absolute best option. Cyclops balls are trash and the only reason they are even in use is because they throw some sponsorship into tournaments.

Gentlemen, there ya have it.

Abide, submit and yield.

Do it, and do it now!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gentlemen, there ya have it.

Abide, submit and yield.

Do it, and do it now!

Gee.

Though I will give Rhea's evaluation due consideration, I think I will act upon my personal observations and experiences playing with Cyclop balls at my home room and at the DCC (they stay cleaner longer than other brands) and keep on truckin'.

Lou Figueroa

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gee.

Though I will give Rhea's evaluation due consideration, I think I will act upon my personal observations and experiences playing with Cyclop balls at my home room and at the DCC (they stay cleaner longer than other brands) and keep on truckin'.

Lou Figueroa

Go ahead and take me seriously.

Go right ahead....:)

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And when the measle ball was new, the same could have been said about it.

And when diamond tables first hit, same could have been said about them.

And when ass weights...too early for that?

Yeah, but didn't the Diamond tables play off at first? Something about the rebound angles. They had to revise the cushions to blue label or something like that to make people happy. If I have that correct then resistance to Diamond was justified, no?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regardless of brand, friction at the contact point between the CB and OB is what causes skid.

It appears from the accounts in this and other threads that Cyclop balls stay cleaner longer than competing brands -- so there is nothing about the balls themselves that causes skid. What does cause skid is guys abrading the CB over-and-over with uber-hard break tips AND using uber-sticky chalk. That's causing more friction more often.

I have my own set of Cyclop balls and don't play rotation games, use plain ole Masters chalk, and hardly ever get a skid with them. YMMV.

Lou Figueroa

I'm in a haiku mood I guess:

Uber-hard break tips
Lou Fig skids on money ball
Uber-empty pockets

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We only use Aramith Balls in our production. We cut some used Cyclops Balls in half & there were some bubbles, Bubbles cause breakage & that can't be permitted. I'm not a fan of their colors

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can play with 40$ knock offs if they are clean! Cyclops, Brunswick, aramith, not as important to me as the cleanliness! although I do personally use aramith and cyclops at home and one set to the other doesn't change my ability!

That being said I like the cyclops for the shine factor! Never had any roll off or other mentioned issues with them!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, but didn't the Diamond tables play off at first? Something about the rebound angles. They had to revise the cushions to blue label or something like that to make people happy. If I have that correct then resistance to Diamond was justified, no?

There were also roll off problems due to insufficient support for the 1-piece slate.

Lou Figueroa

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
We only use Aramith Balls in our production. We cut some used Cyclops Balls in half & there were some bubbles, Bubbles cause breakage & that can't be permitted. I'm not a fan of their colors

Game. Set. Match.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Deep shelf was also a change, as were flat rails and the muffled sound of the pockets. Surely people found other complaints and it was not my point to document complaints lfrom decades ago.

Point was that people are resistant to change...irrespective of whether said change is good or bad down le-road.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Deep shelf was also a change, as were flat rails and the muffled sound of the pockets. Surely people found other complaints and it was not my point to document complaints lfrom decades ago.

Point was that people are resistant to change...irrespective of whether said change is good or bad down le-road.

I thought your point was that people are resistant to change simply because they don't like change (which is correct). However, maybe Diamond tables are a bad example because there were legitimate reasons not to like them when they came out.

I agree with your overall point.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought your point was that people are resistant to change simply because they don't like change (which is correct). However, maybe Diamond tables are a bad example because there were legitimate reasons not to like them when they came out.

I agree with your overall point.

What about the ass weights, Dan?

You need to get you some. We will be pioneers.

JC

Coos Cues

Once Aramith balls get dirty once it's a never ending job cleaning them. They are always dirty. Don't understand the science of why the cyclop balls stay clean but they do. @ 600 fargo I don't shoot any better or worse with either unless they are dirty, which is always with Aramith.

I bought three sets of cyclop. A regular, a skittle and a tv set. Then I sold my three sets of aramith after cleaning them up. A centennial, a centennial TV and a Pro cup.

I miss them less than my first ex wife. Will stick with Cyclop to the end of time unlike her.

JC