D Appleton is against pivoting for spin ?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Fundamentals have to do with the grip on the cue, stance, head/eyes/body alignment, AIMING and coordination to perform it. Blind people can't play pool because they can't SEE to AIM. It's physical just like all sports.

When pool was first invented and all throughout the depression, men flocked to pool rooms because there was nothing else to do. They knew absolutely zippity do da about physics and never did even though it was present. Knowledge of physics and geometry as taught in books and classrooms had nothing, absolutely nothing to do with the success and caliber of a player all
throughout history from then to now. Some of the best players in the history of pool weren't very bright intellectually to begin with. Actually, quite dense and even drunkards.

Did physics take place? Yes. But totally unnecessary to learn and know from studying science in books and classrooms and then preaching it as you do. You do it to put yourself on a higher pedestal due to your inadequacies in the actual physical performance of it. It's all you have going for you along with a few nut huggers all throughout the last 25 years that echo your babble.

This...TOTALLY UNNECESSARY To Play Good Pool! https://www.real-world-physics-problems.com/physics-of-billiards.html#:~:text=The physics behind billiards (or,conserved before and after impact.

This...TOTALLY UNNECESSARY To Play Good Pool! https://www.amazon.com/Science-Pocket-Billiards-Jack-Koehler/dp/0997622717/ref=sr_1_11?crid=2I90G4AJ05XA1&keywords=pool+and+billiards+books&qid=1664019040&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjE4IiwicXNhIjoiMi41OSIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ==&sprefix=pool+and+billia,aps,88&sr=8-11
how can you say i dont need to know this to play great? 😂 😂
from your first link
physics for position 1.png
physics fro position 2.png

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The bottom line explanation of what is ACTUALLY HAPPENING when someone uses CTE that knows how to use CTE is, BALLS GO IN! Isn't that what pool is about?
You know what I mean.

I have never seen you post like you have today. Are you OK? It is definitely refreshing. (Unless it's a setup):sneaky:
Which one of us has a history of emotional, aggressive posts? Don't need to look far to find out. I think we agree on most things except one.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
You know what I mean.

Which one of us has a history of emotional, aggressive posts? Don't need to look far to find out. I think we agree on most things except one.
Neither one of us can read the emotions of another person they don't know personally and have never met. What you may think is the top of the head exploding is more than likely a big smile on the face as far as what's to come in the wordsmithing. Aggressive? Hell YES! On forums you can get run over by a tank if the timing and initiative is wrong because the other person will do it.

As far as not agreeing about the one, nobody can force you to learn and perform something you have no willingness to do. It's a physical game...not mental or conceptual.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
It's high school physics... just sayin'.

Also, a great player does know this as a practical application on the table, just not the math, of course.
A great player knows what he knows from observing what the balls do either with him shooting and experimenting or other players. NONE of them know physics from books and classes. Back in the 30's, 40's and 50's there were some super pool players that didn't come close to even getting a high school degree.

Make a list of the pro players who you think use actual physics as taught in classes or books for their pool game and success.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
You hear the word "physics" in pool and all you can think of is equations? You apparently know even less about it than I imagined.

Hitting the OB on the point opposite the pocket is physics. Hitting below center for draw, above center for follow or offcenter for sidespin is physics. Squirt, swerve and throw are all physics.

Physics in pool is pretty simple at the functional level - that doesn't mean it's not physics. Don't let the word intimidate you.

pj
chgo

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
You hear the word "physics" in pool and all you can think of is equations? You apparently know even less about it than I imagined.
Only you have the knowledge of Einstein, Einstein.
Hitting the OB on the point opposite the pocket is physics. Hitting below center for draw, above center for follow or offcenter for sidespin is physics. Squirt, swerve and throw are all physics.
No shit, Sherlock. So, what's your point? The same can be said for what a golf ball does, or a player can do with it. Or a
MLB pitcher getting a ball to curve, drop, and rise. The only part that's important is WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO TO PERFORM IT AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL. How do you hold your hands, fingers, and body alignment. What do you do to manipulate the golf club, baseball, or any other implement in a sport. Nobody gives a rats ass about teaching or learning it through actual physics with formulas and 2D drawings as you do.
Physics in pool is pretty simple at the functional level - that doesn't mean it's not physics. Don't let the word intimidate you.

pj
chgo
Don't let the word blow your head up any more than it already is, or it might explode. On second thought, keep up the good work!

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A great player knows what he knows from observing what the balls do either with him shooting and experimenting or other players. NONE of them know physics from books and classes. Back in the 30's, 40's and 50's there were some super pool players that didn't come close to even getting a high school degree.

Make a list of the pro players who you think use actual physics as taught in classes or books for their pool game and success.
We are saying the same thing. I just did it with fewer words.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Show us a formula I've posted. Or a drawing that was too complicated for you.

pj <- be glad to help you understand
chgo
When I see one of your bullshit 2D drawings, whatever they may illustrate, gets flipped right off by me because they're totally worthless and the only person who gets their rocks off on it is you and a couple of other geeks in your crew.

Here, I'll help YOU understand. Get on the table and do things you've never done before and are unwilling to do because of your rock, know it all, head. Why don't you start by learning how an angled cue (pivoting) works (live and in person) for aiming and english by doing it instead of knocking it. Report back when the experiments have been physically completed.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
...... When you have players like Efren, Busti, Earl, and a good number of others from years past as well as currently, they play with a lot of artistry that doesn't fit into the boring ass paint by the numbers/stay inside the lines of science. They really are fascinating artists and a joy to watch.

Most great painters and sketch artists learn using fundamental shapes like circles and squares and triangles. From these basic shapes/references they learn to draw faces, people, horses, landscapes, whatever.

The same learning method works with paint-by-the-numbers. Eventually the mind no longer needs the numbers or the basic shapes in order to create a great piece of artwork. The artist visualizes what needs to happen and then makes it happen.

Learning to play pool can be done in the same manner using 2D drawings, especially if projected directly onto a pool table to allow the player to actually see what needs to happen, or what will happen if the cb or ob is struck a certain way.

I agree with you that knowing how to calculate the cb or ob reaction does not help one's pool game.
Knowing how to visualize or imagine the cb or ob reaction is all that's needed. And that's something that's learned through visual experience (table time), but also through visual aids like 2D images in books or on the table.

So, to say that 2D drawings aren't useful is just incorrect. Knowing the math behind such drawings is not useful, but the drawings themselves are excellent visual tools that can certainly help with learning.

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Maybe you're both right. Physics is physics and what PJ says about that is true, but not everybody is the same mentally and physically. Some players might HAVE TO elevate the cue and do some weird swoop or whatever simply because they can't do it the traditional way. Fixed elbow is like that. Some can't do it no matter what so they accomplish a good stroke some other way.
Dan, I appreciate your open-mindedness. When you see someone "get it" after decades, you know they are now in a good place.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
So, to say that 2D drawings aren't useful is just incorrect. Knowing the math behind such drawings is not useful, but the drawings themselves are excellent visual tools that can certainly help with learning.
But what can help with learning much more and faster than bullshit 2D drawings is the hundreds of free videos on just about any and all facets of pool on youtube. Youtube is far, far better than crappy 2D stuff. There are also super videos
for sale by some top instructors on all facets of the game as long as the wannabe pool player isn't a miserly cheapskate.

So, I don't agree with the 2D drawings. It's like antiquated technology. If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video is worth a million. And a live lesson with a pro instructor or pro player is worth 10 million.

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
But what can help with learning much more and faster than bullshit 2D drawings is the hundreds of free videos on just about any and all facets of pool on youtube. Youtube is far, far better than crappy 2D stuff. There are also super videos
for sale by some top instructors on all facets of the game as long as the wannabe pool player isn't a miserly cheapskate.

So, I don't agree with the 2D drawings.

I agree about youtube being the best learning tool. But the most effective pool videos to learn from (when it comes to developing good visualization for cb and ob paths) are the videos that show the cb and ob lines on the table. Sharivari's videos come to mind. They are among the best. And when someone is watching these videos on their flat screen tv or flat smartphone screen, they are watching it in 2D. 😆

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I agree about youtube being the best learning tool. But the most effective pool videos to learn from (when it comes to developing good visualization for cb and ob paths) are the videos that show the cb and ob lines on the table. Sharivari's videos come to mind. They are among the best. And when someone is watching these videos on their flat screen tv or flat smartphone screen, they are watching it in 2D. 😆
There are better videos. Especially the ones where the person demonstrating/teaching has a small video camera on his head with the camera on the same line as what he's seeing with his own eyes. Lil Chris comes to mind.

This isn't CTE Pro1, but he does do a good job of basic CTE with pivots and the camera.

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
There are better videos. Especially the ones where the person demonstrating/teaching has a small video camera on his head with the camera on the same line as what he's seeing with his own eyes. Lil Chris comes to mind.

This isn't CTE Pro1, but he does do a good job of basic CTE with pivots and the camera.

I remember this video. It's a good one. What he shows here is not Stan's version of basic CTE with pivots. If so, no one would've been questioning how to do it. Little Chris's version (no "perceptions") is pretty simple to understand.