Danny Medina's fight is over

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have dreaded the call I got last night for some time. Danny Medina died Thursday evening at 11:38 in Denver Colorado.
Danny and I met way back in 1971 at the old Civic Center Billiards in Denver. We were both 19 years old.
He was a young and cocky guy but ponce one got past that, he was really easy to talk to and easy to get along with.
In one of our latest conversations he was struggling with some decisions he had made just like the majority of us. He feared he had wasted life by being a pool player. he lived what he loved. hre ate, slept, and breathed Pool. he head natural talent and should be remembered as on of the best shot makers ever in the game.
He was , once some got to know him better, really not so arrogant and cocky. he had vulnerabilities just as we all did and I always felt it made him even more likable and intriguing.
When he learned he had Cancer he fought valiantly and hung on when many would have thrown the towel. A calmness came across him and he faced it head on.
When I was in Denver back in August, we spent about 4 days together and never talked about the illness and pain. I was surprised he remembered some conversations we had driving across this country. he laughed at some of the dumb assed things we did ad some scrapes we narrowly escaped.
i love Danny Medina and wish I could hear that "He He" just one more time, but in one way I am relieved his pain is over and he is finally in good hands.
God Bless you Brother.
R.I.P Danny Medina September 1951 January 2013
CHAMPION!!!!!

dakraljic

Banned
Hi

Very sad news.I am from Croatia and Danny Medina was very first pro player I saw in person.He is one of those players I admire to.I was still playing amateur tournaments and that was my first pool trip to US.First tournament I have ever played in States.It was VNEA and that was back in 1996.He was there,not playing just watching us who played and looking for action. I was still the kid and tried to get close to him how could I asked him anything regarding to game.And I did and he patiently answered me on all my question.
That was great experiance to me and never forget it,like I will never forget
Danny Medina.
Just want everyone to know that he made impact on people and players all over the world.I have his ACCU-STATS match when he in 9-ball match ran 8 or 9 games in a row.
Davor

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
RIP Danny. Wish I coulda known him.

I have this faint memory of seeing some really entertaining footage of him playing, but maybe I have the wrong player. I wanna say it was an accustats highlights tape. Basically he had Billy I. on the ropes and hit him with a 6- or 7-pack in a tournament. After being trapped in the chair so long, billy came up the table and lined up to shoot his next shot with the butt of the cue, like it'd been so long since he shot that he forgot which end to use. A classic example of "you never wanna be the other guy in someone's highlight reel".

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Sorry...

I'm gonna pull out that old video I have of him and Mataya playing like road hustlers and watch it tonight.

Jeff Livingston

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
R.I.P. Danny, now you can play with all the GREATS before you!

Regards;
Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

ratnip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RIP Danny

R.I.P. Danny,

Condolences to your family and close friends.

Jay P.

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
I have that one, too. It's a great scene! Condolences to his friends and family.

Sorry...

I'm gonna pull out that old video I have of him and Mataya playing like road hustlers and watch it tonight.

Jeff Livingston

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
R.I.P.

The pool world lost another great player. When I was playing in tournaments and he was playing on the next table over...I would stop shooting just to watch his break. He'd hit 'em hard and with control.

Nice guy!

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RIP Danny. Wish I coulda known him.

I have this faint memory of seeing some really entertaining footage of him playing, but maybe I have the wrong player. I wanna say it was an accustats highlights tape. Basically he had Billy I. on the ropes and hit him with a 6- or 7-pack in a tournament. After being trapped in the chair so long, billy came up the table and lined up to shoot his next shot with the butt of the cue, like it'd been so long since he shot that he forgot which end to use. A classic example of "you never wanna be the other guy in someone's highlight reel".

yes that was Danny. he put an 8-pack on Billy there.

javi2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny

R.I.P Danny!

IMG_03901_zps50f7c30f.jpg