Daryl Peach safety after the Break

Skratch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guarantee that I have more fun with pool than most. My opponents do, also. I don't really play tourneys anymore and don't gamble. There are about ten people I will even play with, six of them are my closest six friends in the world. The others are guys who don't feel the need to gamble to play their best game.

Having fun and playing tough are not mutually exclusive.

A little story: One of the top ten women's foosball players in the world was a very close friend of mine. She once won a tourney playing with the number one woman in the world. In the finals my friend was nervous, stressed, and frazzled. Well into the final set, The opposing team took a time out, and the #1 woman turned to my friend with a huge grin and said, 'Isn't this fun?'

I think people forget that too often. The one session of APA I played I had a teammate who took a timeout and asked for my advice (I was the only person she ever asked for advice, and only that one time.). She started off by asking me to listen to her ideas before giving advice, etc.. She was very self-conscious. I listened, pointed and out the pros and cons of her ideas. She said that the part that helper her the most was simply two words at the end of the timeout: 'Have fun.'

I agree you can have fun and play tough too, but that's not what I was meaning in my response. Your example shows they were under a serious match. Hell it was a final, and not some casual practice game. There was something on the line. Trophy, money, bragging rights. Playing a 3foul to win another game and get you closer to winning the match would be expected (if the 3foul were reasonable option). Not in a casual practice game as part of practice itself. If you play solid safeties in practice in appropriate situations, then 3fouling makes sense. But to do it from the get go is probably not a good practice habit. If you look at one of my other posts, you'll see I compare it to trying to "practice" getting the 9ball on the break, when you should be practicing the other aspects of breaking. Ball in a pocket, CB in a good spot, workable ball spread, or shot on the next ball.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would argue the opposite.
Taking a flyer and smashing the rack could be looked at as disrespect. The way he played showed respect for his opponent.

PoppaSaun

Banned
I agree you can have fun and play tough too, but that's not what I was meaning in my response. Your example shows they were under a serious match. Hell it was a final, and not some casual practice game. There was something on the line. Trophy, money, bragging rights. Playing a 3foul to win another game and get you closer to winning the match would be expected (if the 3foul were reasonable option). Not in a casual practice game as part of practice itself. If you play solid safeties in practice in appropriate situations, then 3fouling makes sense. But to do it from the get go is probably not a good practice habit. If you look at one of my other posts, you'll see I compare it to trying to "practice" getting the 9ball on the break, when you should be practicing the other aspects of breaking. Ball in a pocket, CB in a good spot, workable ball spread, or shot on the next ball.

My example was all about having fun while playing tough.

My meaning was lost on you, I was saying that I don't play unless I have intentions to play my best, including the best strategy. I have fun playing, but I don't play patty-cakes with my friends. Our goal is always to slaughter the other person. What is the point of doing otherwise?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WTF? I was just at the pool room and grabbed somebody else's balls.
Not only did I not win, we didn't even finish the game.

Thanks for a shit advicing.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sure...give em a show, ya know? that is how I try and think when I get up to play.

Unfortunately, it is often a cringe-fest, but wtf?! whddya gonna do when you don't have the goods?
:sorry::shrug:
I guarantee that I have more fun with pool than most. My opponents do, also. I don't really play tourneys anymore and don't gamble. There are about ten people I will even play with, six of them are my closest six friends in the world. The others are guys who don't feel the need to gamble to play their best game.

Having fun and playing tough are not mutually exclusive.

A little story: One of the top ten women's foosball players in the world was a very close friend of mine. She once won a tourney playing with the number one woman in the world. In the finals my friend was nervous, stressed, and frazzled. Well into the final set, The opposing team took a time out, and the #1 woman turned to my friend with a huge grin and said, 'Isn't this fun?'

I think people forget that too often. The one session of APA I played I had a teammate who took a timeout and asked for my advice (I was the only person she ever asked for advice, and only that one time.). She started off by asking me to listen to her ideas before giving advice, etc.. She was very self-conscious. I listened, pointed and out the pros and cons of her ideas. She said that the part that helper her the most was simply two words at the end of the timeout: 'Have fun.'

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ar you one sarcastic?

It is not her job to provide guidance. In fact, in the spirit of my oldest buddy, Koop (may he rest peacefully always): I'd argue.

But really, it is a bit like thinking a cop is gonna tell you the truth about a law.
Michaela being profesional.
Player says: I give up the table, give ball in hand to the opponent
Michaela: "can you do that?!?!"

Great referee, knowing the rules inside out!

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I'm having a discussion on the possibility of poor sportsmanship involving Daryl Peach and an opponent on the GB9 Ball tour.

Peach is up 7-3 (race to 9?) and his opponent fouls on the break. Then Peach plays a safe of the 1 ball of the frozen rack to 3 foul him.

First I would like to say that this is perfectly a legal shot and he did make it legally but the question is... Do you think with such a commanding lead against a weaker player he should have just broke the balls and run out?

Personally If I was in Peach's position I would've broke and continued to play the rack. It just seems like a little unsportsmanlike to do that when having a strong lead against someone in the first round of this Tour.

Thoughts...
https://m.facebook.com/groups/289229958075317?view=permalink&id=498673273797650

https://youtu.be/M4mksvBZb5g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skratch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My example was all about having fun while playing tough.

My meaning was lost on you, I was saying that I don't play unless I have intentions to play my best, including the best strategy. I have fun playing, but I don't play patty-cakes with my friends. Our goal is always to slaughter the other person. What is the point of doing otherwise?

Sounds like you play only to your happiness and not just the fun for all. I wonder if you play as tough with all those you might shoot against, such as your children, wife, drunk friends, etc. Whats the point in doing otherwise? ... Not knocking you way of playing, but it seems one-sided fun to me. Hey I guess you can play tough whenever you like. More power to you then.

PoppaSaun

Banned
Sounds like you play only to your happiness and not just the fun for all. I wonder if you play as tough with all those you might shoot against, such as your children, wife, drunk friends, etc. Whats the point in doing otherwise? ... Not knocking you way of playing, but it seems one-sided fun to me. Hey I guess you can play tough whenever you like. More power to you then.

Maybe you missed the part where I said I only play against about ten people? I don't have kids or a wife, never will. If I did, I wouldn't play pool against them.

I can assure you that the ten people I will play against all play as tough as I do. We enjoy that, it is fun for us.

I don't get your attitude.

Since you missed the part where I said I will only play against a certain group of about ten people, I'll explain it to you. I won't play against just anyone. When playing alone, I often get asked at the hall if I'd like to play by strangers and acquaintances. My reply is a firm, polite 'no.'

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ar you one sarcastic?

It is not her job to provide guidance. In fact, in the spirit of my oldest buddy, Koop (may he rest peacefully always): I'd argue.

But really, it is a bit like thinking a cop is gonna tell you the truth about a law.

Really dude? I honestly never read a post of yours that you weren't sarcastic... Just look at your comment at the top of this page for crying out loud...

To the point tho, I wasn't expecting the reff to "provide guidance". I was expecting the reff to know the rules tho. She could either had said "you have to make a shot, I can't call a foul if you don't touch the cue ball" if this wasn't allowed, or say "Foul, ball in hand" if it was.

But saying "You can do that???!!!" shows that she actually didn't know if this was allowed or not. It's not "providing guidance", it's literarlly asking the player about the rules because she didn't know them. Do you understand the difference or I have to be sarcastic again to speak your language? (yes, this was sarcastinc in case you were wondering.)... (and yes, this was too.)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, jeez. Dont pop a top on us.

Yoir post touched on a subtopic that comes up occasionally, under different topics: what is ref's job?

I commented on that subtopic.

Really dude? I honestly never read a post of yours that you weren't sarcastic... Just look at your comment at the top of this page for crying out loud...

To the point tho, I wasn't expecting the reff to "provide guidance". I was expecting the reff to know the rules tho. She could either had said "you have to make a shot, I can't call a foul if you don't touch the cue ball" if this wasn't allowed, or say "Foul, ball in hand" if it was.

But saying "You can do that???!!!" shows that she actually didn't know if this was allowed or not. It's not "providing guidance", it's literarlly asking the player about the rules because she didn't know them. Do you understand the difference or I have to be sarcastic again to speak your language? (yes, this was sarcastinc in case you were wondering.)... (and yes, this was too.)

Skratch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe you missed the part where I said I only play against about ten people? I don't have kids or a wife, never will. If I did, I wouldn't play pool against them.

I can assure you that the ten people I will play against all play as tough as I do. We enjoy that, it is fun for us.

I don't get your attitude.

Since you missed the part where I said I will only play against a certain group of about ten people, I'll explain it to you. I won't play against just anyone. When playing alone, I often get asked at the hall if I'd like to play by strangers and acquaintances. My reply is a firm, polite 'no.'

My apologies if I came off wrong. Yes, I did miss that. However, then these people are sparing partners. Your games are simulated matches, and not casual games. Playing under those situations, yes, by all means bury them, AND have fun doing it. I certainly do! And from time to time, I'll 3 rail the hanging 9ball. LOL.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... To the point tho, I wasn't expecting the reff to "provide guidance". I was expecting the reff to know the rules tho. ...
The rule that a player must take a shot is kind of obscure. It is not explicit. There is no way within the rules for a player to end his inning except to shoot a shot, to commit a foul, or to concede. (I suppose passing on a push out might be counted, but that voids the inning rather than ends it.)

I think that most players are as ignorant about this point as the fouler, and that seems to include most players in major tournaments.

Should the ref explain the rules to a player? In the best of all possible worlds, the player would know the rules. I think snooker has the better rule which does not allow the ref to explain the rules.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. Refs should only be reactive to vame play.
The rule that a player must take a shot is kind of obscure. It is not explicit. There is no way within the rules for a player to end his inning except to shoot a shot, to commit a foul, or to concede. (I suppose passing on a push out might be counted, but that voids the inning rather than ends it.)

I think that most players are as ignorant about this point as the fouler, and that seems to include most players in major tournaments.

Should the ref explain the rules to a player? In the best of all possible worlds, the player would know the rules. I think snooker has the better rule which does not allow the ref to explain the rules.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My apologies if I came off wrong. Yes, I did miss that. However, then these people are sparing partners. Your games are simulated matches, and not casual games. Playing under those situations, yes, by all means bury them, AND have fun doing it. I certainly do! And from time to time, I'll 3 rail the hanging 9ball. LOL.

3 rail a hanging 9 ball? Childs play 4,5,7 rails might bring a wry smile, no more though cause we are playin serious.:cool:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
So I'm having a discussion on the possibility of poor sportsmanship involving Daryl Peach and an opponent on the GB9 Ball tour.

Peach is up 7-3 (race to 9?) and his opponent fouls on the break. Then Peach plays a safe of the 1 ball of the frozen rack to 3 foul him.

First I would like to say that this is perfectly a legal shot and he did make it legally but the question is... Do you think with such a commanding lead against a weaker player he should have just broke the balls and run out?

Personally If I was in Peach's position I would've broke and continued to play the rack. It just seems like a little unsportsmanlike to do that when having a strong lead against someone in the first round of this Tour.

Thoughts...
https://m.facebook.com/groups/289229958075317?view=permalink&id=498673273797650

If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd rather play a guy who never misses than an banger. I have a tendency to lose my concentration when I know I can miss a few balls and still get a chance to get back to the table.

The problem with bangers (and I am one of them) is that you just can't tell when they are going to miss or get out.

I can dog a straight in 9b, and yet at a recent tourney against a much better player made a bank on the 8b I'm about 20% to make, leaving myself on the short rail with the 9b past the side pocket where my only shot is to back cut into the far corner. I'm probably 10% to make it. I drain it - not even close to missing. I had about a 2% chance of getting out from where I was, but I did. (still lost 5-3)

But that's why bangers are so dangerous to play - you let up because you think you will get back to the table, but you might not - or you might get back with a fluked dead nuts hook.