Dealing with Pressure Once and for All!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Lots of snooker players tap the middle finger of the bridge hand.
The majority or vast majority of good pool players do the same with the middle or ring finger. It is just a matter of how often, and exactly why it is done (which I think would make for a good discussion for another thread).
I think it's just an unconscious habit, like sticking your tongue out when you concentrate.

pj
chgo

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I think it's just an unconscious habit, like sticking your tongue out when you concentrate.

pj
chgo
It is almost certainly an unconscious habit, the question is why the subconscious feels that it is beneficial, or is there some other reason for it besides a perceived subconscious benefit, but it isn't happening for no reason. And also, is it actually beneficial in some small way, or is your subconscious just mistaken when it thinks it is (if it thinks it is)? In short, there has to be a purpose for it, or your brain must feel there is even if it is wrong.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
It is almost certainly an unconscious habit, the question is why the subconscious feels that it is beneficial, or is there some other reason for it besides a perceived subconscious benefit, but it isn't happening for no reason. And also, is it actually beneficial in some small way, or is your subconscious just mistaken when it thinks it is (if it thinks it is)? In short, there has to be a purpose for it, or your brain must feel there is even if it is wrong.
Or maybe it's just a tic. I don't see why there has to be a reason, but I'd be interested to learn there is one.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
So as great a player as Mike was he is an example of what not to do. Talking your opponent into submission is a poor strategy!!! I get your message, but other examples would be better.
I probably ref'd a hundred matches that Sigel played in and I never had a problem with him in any of them. His "talking" was always self deprecating, often humorous and he never tried to shark his opponent that I saw or remember. He never talked while his opponent was at the table, other than possibly to compliment him on a good shot.

His "good strategy" was to not miss a ball for the entire match and run out at every opportunity. It is no accident that he won so many tournaments against stacked fields of the best players of his era. Mike had to go through a murderer's row of Earl, Efren, Parica, Hall, Varner, Davenport, Howard, Hopkins, Mizerak, Rempe, West and on and on to compile his HOF credentials. He had one streak where he won eleven times in a row when he reached the finals! He's about as good an example of a winner as I can think of.

Last edited:

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
For me the finger tapping is like a pressure relief valve. I want a solid foundation but with no tension. Sometimes tension creeps in. The finger reminds me to relax the muscles.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Somewat interesting position, to visualize being a loser.

It's a dilemma, as there are many citations indicating visualization of positive outcome is a key element in determining performance by high-end sportsmen.

It's not VERY interesting, coz IMO, what you think isn't the primary factor as to what happens.
No one in sports starts out winning.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo
Tongue protrusion when concentrating may well be a latent Darwinian instinct -- hard-wired into our nervous systems.

Scientists suggest that sticking out the tongue may be a way of reducing unneeded sensory input to the brain (e.g. taste, texture) that might interfere with our ability to concentrate on the task at hand. And importantly, it temporarily & subconsciously stems the tongue from the unneeded signals involved in formation and emission of spoken words.

They interestingly also cite the likelihood that when we are trying to complete an important job, the hard-wiring also may trigger tongue protrusion to send conscious and unconscious signals to others that we want to be left alone . . . again reinforcing the link between concentration and the tongue -- which is a very complex organ powerfully linked (for evolutionary/survival reasons) to the brain.

Arnaldo

StrokeofLuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tongue protrusion when concentrating may well be a latent Darwinian instinct -- hard-wired into our nervous systems.

Scientists suggest that sticking out the tongue may be a way of reducing unneeded sensory input to the brain (e.g. taste, texture) that might interfere with our ability to concentrate on the task at hand. And importantly, it temporarily & subconsciously stems the tongue from the unneeded signals involved in formation and emission of spoken words.

They interestingly also cite the likelihood that when we are trying to complete an important job, the hard-wiring also may trigger tongue protrusion to send conscious and unconscious signals to others that we want to be left alone . . . again reinforcing the link between concentration and the tongue -- which is a very complex organ powerfully linked (for evolutionary/survival reasons) to the brain.

Arnaldo

Beat me to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Having just started playing just a few years ago, I vividly remember the pressure of trying to play among people with a lifetime of experience. I've noted recently I've improved enough to hold my own with most players and have an occasional chance with the great players. Now I am less intimidated and can win or lose with less anxiety. I can simply enjoy playing with them (and learn from them). Still pressure to not fail can creep back in when playing teams that are usually not beatable, normal I guess. I try to rationalize it in my head. "Are you gonna win? Probably not so just play and see what happens." Every once in a while, you can win. If I get to the eight or close and don't leave a bunch of skittles on the table I can feel positive about it.

Overthinking has always been my problem. It is a work in progress. More than once in a tough situation, a teammate has said "What are you thinking?" and when I explain my crazy plan they say "Why not just simply hit this here?" Duh!

I have to do it more still, but walking the table is a great stress reliever. It gives time to think without just standing there being stared at. It gives a better big picture of the table and shot, and maybe shows a different shot that might be better.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
CJ, this is an almost identical message to a sermon preached by my dad 40 years ago - only when we have come to fully accept our own inevitable death as well as the inevitable deaths of our loved ones, can we truly be released to live our lives to the fullest.
Yes, it's spiritually true and now, considering what we are facing it's physically true - "Those that try to save their life will lose it and those that do not will save it" - this is very deep and at the surface level doesn't make sense and it's not supposed to. There are 3 levels of teaching and learning, the physical, the mental and the Spiritual or Deep Level......I'm trained to study at the deepest levels, the others are often misleading at best, you always have to dig to find the Truth.....which sets us free from the lies, deception and propaganda of this earth age we are currently in.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
One other thing pertaining to pool. We've all seen players take a deep breath before shooting a hard shot. The input of oxygen is relaxing to our entire body and sends extra oxygen to our brain so we can think a little more clearly. It helps us to focus on the task at hand and remove extraneous thoughts. We've all seen Nick Varner chomping on his gum throughout a match as well. Exercising our jaw muscles also has a relaxing affect on our entire body. Nick knows!
According to Johnny Archer, and I agree, it's best to exhale before critical shots. It's the opposite of weightlifting, but I understand the point. We are more relaxed after releasing the carbon dioxide is my experience, but to each their own.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great post, CJ and all readily applicable to pool, most other sports, and many life situations. Among the sports exceptions would be boxing -- freewheeling without conscious hyper-focus there, will get you permanently brain-scrambled or literally dead in a millisecond. In other words -- unlike pool . . . lots to lose -- and fast -- in that particular sport.

Arnaldo
Yes, most of what I teach can be applied to many different aspects or components of life. That's what I say "The Game is the Teacher' because when we master one skill set we can build a bridge to many other subjects and interesting topics. I learned how to do this when I went through my masters training in Neuro Linguistic Programming......I use it on a daily basis and it's led me to some remarkable discoveries!

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I'm way down in a match my strategy was to give up - there's nothing to lose, so I just give it up to my total subconscious, or a part of me that loves "nothing to lose scenarios".

In this state of mind many times I came back and effectively snatched victory out of the jaws of certain defeat.
After learning this about myself I started doing it before my matches, I'd imagine in vivid detail that I'd already lost and process the emotions connected to losing.,....sounds negative at first doesn't it?

The opposite is actually true, when I accept that I already didn't win the upcoming match what happens to most of the self imposed pressure I feel in the actual match?

That's right, the pressure is drastically reduced because I've lowered my expectations substantially and could free wheel like I had nothing to lose.....because I didn't!

When I was the captain of the Mosconi Cup in 2012 Johnny Archer and I were up late one night talking about the next day's competition.
I took this opportunity to ask him "Johnny, you were the Player of the 90s, what do you believe the key to your success was?"

Johnny didn't hesitate "I made my expectations to win as low as possible!"

I smiled, because that's exactly what I did to win gambling matches against some of history's greatest players

This is my secret, "to truly win against the very best players, I must accept and be okay with losing first.....only then, after fear and anxiety vanish can I perform my absolute best!"

'The Game is the Teacher'
This begs the question, why did you not just start the match that way? Lots of books on the subject. Many years ago I read The Inner Game of Tennis, which talks about the mental aspects of competing.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
This begs the question, why did you not just start the match that way? Lots of books on the subject. Many years ago I read The Inner Game of Tennis, which talks about the mental aspects of competing.
I do start the match that way, that's the point.

The Inner Game of Tennis is a great book, I read it when I was 16 and competing at tennis tournaments. He mentions my favorite pool book, 'Zen in the Art of Archery' which I've read 7 times and will probably read again, it's about archery and can be easily bridged to pool.

"The Hitter and Target must become one, the release is like snow falling off a bamboo leaf, without plan or preparation" - That's my spin on it anyway. lol