Dear Hard Times...

realkingcobra

Silver Member
DON'T YOU GUYS GET IT!?!?

Business 101.
Keep the players hot and sweaty, THE MORE COLD DELICIOUS BEVERAGES YOU SELL!!!

Go on the cheap, make more money!

Unless they're charging for water, they don't sell any alcohol, and there's no kitchen to speak of, just table time.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hot Times...

I'm not interested in legal action to fix the A/C... I posted to get feedback about something amicable being done... not interested in shutting it down.. it's been my home room for too long.

They don't serve real food, unless you count stale nachos with cheese whiz 'food'...
they don't sell alcohol, just soda.. and not that much of it.

-rhatten, I tried playing that tournament too, couldn't take it... got one coming up this weekend, I'm on the fence about playing... the One Pocket/10 ball was pretty bad,
power went out, etc.

-cubswin, I can't stand playing when it's hot either... when you're in action, you have a little heat going anyway, so the room being hot, to me, just takes you out of your game.

Keep 'em coming, boys...

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rough Cost of AC in N. California Summer

Was leaving a pool room here in San Jose within the last month and stopped to say hello to the owner as he was sitting at the end of the front counter paying his bills. As I approached, he gasped while looking one of the bills, specifically the PG&E bill.

We ended up having a brief discussion about that bill, and I learned from him that his PG&E bill would be ~$2000.00 higher in the summer vs. winter. That's a lot of table time to make up that difference.

This is a 24 table room that does serve beer and food.

Hopefully Oscar has prearranged with Hard Times this weekend to keep the place cooler than past Mezz events. You would think the extra business would take up some of the slack to cool the place to a reasonable temperature.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Hard Times is barely surviving. The AC needed an overhaul years ago when Kenny owned it. I heard it needs replacing now. The owner is selling some Gold Crown tables because he had to make room for his 3-cushion tables.
I talked to a regular there . He said the place is pretty slow most of the time.
Gone are the mid-90's days when Efren would pack that place. Looks Morro might not be bringing action there anymore either. Morro brings action often there.
They can never get a beer license . A church ( yes, a church ) is right next to it.
I feel for the new owner. He will need to lower the ceiling if he wants to cut his gas and electric bills. The building was made during the smoking days. Thank God, we don't deal with that now.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Electric bills are going up in California on account of politics. When you have a big room it costs a lot to cool it down. At Hollywood billiards they hardily ever turned on the AC. In fact they did not like to turn on the heat either.

Pool is on life support in the LA area. Pool rooms just don't pencil and a lot of folk have left the game.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
It is hot and sticky in there, even during the winter when the room gets packed. I don't think it's just the electric bills. Could be they need a new system. For a room this large, could be 100K or more. The long term solution would be solar power and a decent A/C system, most likely well beyond the means of the owner.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
uh huh

It is hot and sticky in there, even during the winter when the room gets packed. I don't think it's just the electric bills. Could be they need a new system. For a room this large, could be 100K or more. The long term solution would be solar power and a decent A/C system, most likely well beyond the means of the owner.

More than just AC, it seems like the ventilation system is either non-existent, or in need of repair......

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It depends on the terms of the lease whether the owner is responsible for the HVAC. If they are they have to fix it. Room owners don't want to run up their utility bills.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
It depends on the terms of the lease whether the owner is responsible for the HVAC. If they are they have to fix it. Room owners don't want to run up their utility bills.

I assure you, the triple net they pay in their lease don't require the landlord to fix anything, if it did, the air conditioning would have never been a problem in the first place, it's been a problem now for quite a few years.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hvac

EVEN if you just had a fresh air vent system, it would be an improvement... it's 68 outside, stale and 78 inside. Just get some circulation with fresh outside air, at this point.

Joey, I remember the smoking days at HT, that's going back a little... watching Keith play Morro, it looked like a three stage smog alert in there! And I remember Kenny talking about the A/C way back when. I think the A/C actually worked when Chuck was around... been so long.
BTW, hope Morro is doing OK... he had a stroke, I recall.

Tate, agreed brother... I've gone when it's 60 and raining outside, and you go on a back table in the tournament room, and it's like 78, humid, and stale. I agree, it's probably 100K easy to put a new system in... the duct work is there, I think the rooftop unit is what's f**cked.

Y'all keep checking in:smile:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
EVEN if you just had a fresh air vent system, it would be an improvement... it's 68 outside, stale and 78 inside. Just get some circulation with fresh outside air, at this point.

Joey, I remember the smoking days at HT, that's going back a little... watching Keith play Morro, it looked like a three stage smog alert in there! And I remember Kenny talking about the A/C way back when. I think the A/C actually worked when Chuck was around... been so long.
BTW, hope Morro is doing OK... he had a stroke, I recall.

Tate, agreed brother... I've gone when it's 60 and raining outside, and you go on a back table in the tournament room, and it's like 78, humid, and stale. I agree, it's probably 100K easy to put a new system in... the duct work is there, I think the rooftop unit is what's f**cked.

Y'all keep checking in:smile:
I remember when Keith used to put his smoke on the rail.
Famous shooting couple bringing in their little toddler in there while the place was full of smoke.
I was told Morro is awake now but one side of his body is paralyzed now .
I'll pray for his recovery.

100K? It ain't getting fixed then.
The ceiling fans are working . That's all you might get for now.

FordSVTCobra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for posting this. I have also mentioned the fact that the AC is almost never working or even on and refuse to attend any other events there until it's fixed. I was planning to go this weekend for the Mezz Tour stop but will skip it. Hopefully it's being streamed so I can watch from home in comfort.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I assure you, the triple net they pay in their lease don't require the landlord to fix anything, if it did, the air conditioning would have never been a problem in the first place, it's been a problem now for quite a few years.

I would not count on that with our reviewing the lease. So many of these room owners can't afford to cool these large rooms like HT with the electrical rates going up in Cali.

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
It's really simple...

Don't like the room as is, stop going.

If enough people stop their patronage, either the necessary renovations get made or they close. Either way, problem solved.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember when Keith used to put his smoke on the rail.
Famous shooting couple bringing in their little toddler in there while the place was full of smoke.
I was told Morro is awake now but one side of his body is paralyzed now .
I'll pray for his recovery.

100K? It ain't getting fixed then.
The ceiling fans are working . That's all you might get for now.

Yep, remember that! Keith played Kimmer one night, started late, I sweated it until
like 1 in the morning, so much smoke it was like a fog bank, had to bail !

Even some of the ceiling fans aren't working!... guess we can bring our own box fans... wouldn't that be a statement, everyone walking through the front door with a
cue case and a box fan:thumbup:

I'm starting a new thread on Morro.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's a bad lease if the tenant has to repair the air-con/heating equipment on the roof. Usually that is the responsibility of the property owner. Everything INSIDE the walls is the responsibility of the tenant/lessee in most cases.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
If you can't stand it, go somewhere else. I wouldn't have it shut down...only because it's a poolroom. Is the guy running the room the owner of the building? Johnnyt

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
The disparity between Hard Times Bellflower and Hard Times Sacramento is amazing. Hard Times Sac is one of the most well run pool rooms I've ever seen. Couldn't ask for anything better in that place. Bellflower seems to be a different story.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The disparity between Hard Times Bellflower and Hard Times Sacramento is amazing. Hard Times Sac is one of the most well run pool rooms I've ever seen. Couldn't ask for anything better in that place. Bellflower seems to be a different story.

Yeah, lack of alcohol and food sales make it one of them dying pool rooms of the past, table time alone is no nearly enough income today to stay in business and keep up with the maintenance, all the problems Mike don't have at the Sacramento Hard Times.