definition of inside vs outside english

berlowmj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Am I correct in assuming that "inside english" is at 5 o'clock & "outside english" is at 7 o'clock?

Furthermore, is it feasible to execute inside & outside english with a phenolic tip?
 
Your description would only apply to shots on one side of the table. Inside and outside english can be both of the positions you mentioned, depending on which side of the table the CB is on. That why instructors use right and left (or running vs. reverse), as opposed to inside and outside. Much less confusion for our students, and they definitely know which side of the CB to strike.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
 
berlowmj said:
Am I correct in assuming that "inside english" is at 5 o'clock & "outside english" is at 7 o'clock?

Furthermore, is it feasible to execute inside & outside english with a phenolic tip?


CueTable Help



To add to Scott's point, here is a diagram with 2 CBs...

With CB A, having the tip on the left side would be "outside english". having the tip on the right side would be "inside english"

With CB B, having the tip on the left side would be "inside english". having the tip on the right side would be "outside english"



This is what I have learned from the past :)
 
Last edited:
To most of us I think 'inside' and 'outside' English means inside or outside relevant to the angle of the object ball to the pocket, therefore both inside and outside can be either to the 'right' or 'left' of the cue ball depending upon the position of the cue ball and the intended path to the pocket of the object ball.

What you are describing is better known as simply 'right' or 'left' English.
 
As I understand the terms, it depends on the shot. If you are cutting the ball to the right, then outside English is left English, and inside English is right English. If you are cutting the ball to the left, then outside English is right English, and inside English is left English. When shooting a straight-on shot, I prefer to use French or Spanish.
 
A cacophony of simultaneous replies and all of us forgot the phenolic tip question:) :D

You can impart English to a cue ball with an upturned mop handle, let alone a phenolic tip. To what degree and with how much control will vary from tip to tip and stroke to stroke.
 
Last edited:
cuetable said:

CueTable Help



To add to Scott's point, here is a diagram with 2 CBs...

With CB A, having the tip on the left side would be "outside english". having the tip on the right side would be "inside english"

With CB B, having the tip on the left side would be "inside english". having the tip on the right side would be "outside english"



This is what I have learned from the past :)

Perfect demonstration, Cuetable. Obviously, Scott is correct. It's easier when you can see the effect.
 
berlowmj said:
Am I correct in assuming that "inside english" is at 5 o'clock & "outside english" is at 7 o'clock?

Furthermore, is it feasible to execute inside & outside english with a phenolic tip?
I suppose apart from the standard definitions, different places have different street terms. The place where I live, I hear running side and check side etc..so on and so forth..but you need not worry too much about the terms, left or right 5 or 7 o'clock all depends on the ball positions. Once you get down on the table look at the balls you'll know which side to hit.
 
Thank you!!!

The terms have often been used, but up to now not defined. I really appreciate the clarification.

The mop handle metaphor gives me the inspiration to persevere with my phenolic tip. I will ignore its detractors.

As always, I can count on generous, detailed, & sage advice from A-Zers. Most of the progress on my learning curve is a function of your clarification, especially when my books are ambiguous or contradicting each other.
 
berlowmj said:
The terms have often been used, but up to now not defined. I really appreciate the clarification.

The mop handle metaphor gives me the inspiration to persevere with my phenolic tip. I will ignore its detractors.

As always, I can count on generous, detailed, & sage advice from A-Zers. Most of the progress on my learning curve is a function of your clarification, especially when my books are ambiguous or contradicting each other.

Are using a phenolic tip on your break cue only or are you using it on your playing cue (all shots)?

A phenolic tip is really only useful and recommended for breaking. Phenolics do not hold chalk as well as a leather tip, and you run a far greater chance of miscueing on all shots with more than just a minimal amount of english when using a phenolic.

Fats
 
berlowmj said:
The terms have often been used, but up to now not defined. I really appreciate the clarification.

The mop handle metaphor gives me the inspiration to persevere with my phenolic tip. I will ignore its detractors.

As always, I can count on generous, detailed, & sage advice from A-Zers. Most of the progress on my learning curve is a function of your clarification, especially when my books are ambiguous or contradicting each other.

This is a lot more simple than people seem to want to make it.

Inside English is english on the same side as you are cutting the ball to.
Outside is on the side away from the side the ball is cut to.

Running and reverse<check> can result from either, but are determined
by what angle the CB contacts the rail.

Running widens the rebound angle, reverse narrows<shortens> it.

English with phen tips:
possible, but I would recomend against it,
so I guess that would mean not feasable.
Course, you're always allowed to try.

Dale
 
Last edited:
Yuuuup!

pdcue said:
This is a lot more simple than people seem to want to make it.

Inside English is english on the same side as you are cutting the ball to.
Outside is on the side away from the side the ball is cut to.

Running and reverse<check> can result from either, but are determined
by what angle the CB contacts the rail.

Running widens the rebound angle, reverse narrows<shortens> it.

Dale


What he said . . . .
 
berlowmj said:
Furthermore, is it feasible to execute inside & outside english with a phenolic tip?
I think you just mean to ask if it's feasible to execute english shots with a phenolic tip. And of course, it is. But, because most phenolic tips hold chalk less than most leather tips, so miscues are more apt to happen.

If you have a phenolic tip that holds chalk well, then you can execute any shot. The sound and feel of most phenolic tips are pretty annoying to shoot every shot like that.

Fred <~~~ would stick to leather
 
If I am cutting the ob to the right then right english is inside english. And so on.
 
Last edited:
Scott Lee said:
Your description would only apply to shots on one side of the table. Inside and outside english can be both of the positions you mentioned, depending on which side of the table the CB is on. That why instructors use right and left (or running vs. reverse), as opposed to inside and outside. Much less confusion for our students, and they definitely know which side of the CB to strike.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

You have got to be kidding me...lol It's not like you couldn't just say: INSIDE is toward the object ball and OUTSIDE is away from it...
 
Scott Lee said:
Your description would only apply to shots on one side of the table. Inside and outside english can be both of the positions you mentioned, depending on which side of the table the CB is on. That why instructors use right and left (or running vs. reverse), as opposed to inside and outside. Much less confusion for our students, and they definitely know which side of the CB to strike.

Actually, some instructors are quite comfortable with the terms "inside" and "outside" english, and they are very useful concepts to the student. Explained correctly, I don't think they cause any confusion.
 
Phenolic

Secaucus Fats said:
Are using a phenolic tip on your break cue only or are you using it on your playing cue (all shots)?

A phenolic tip is really only useful and recommended for breaking. Phenolics do not hold chalk as well as a leather tip, and you run a far greater chance of miscueing on all shots with more than just a minimal amount of english when using a phenolic.

Fats

My playing cue is a leather tipped Universal Smart shaft on a Players butt, which is quite satisfactory. My break cue is a phenolic tipped Sledgehammer.

Local dealers stock playing cues so I was able to spend an afternoon trying various cues & consulting with the owner, who is not only a skilled player but has integrity, before I made my selection. I elected to spend money on function rather than aesthetics.

Local dealers do not stock break cues so my selection was on-line & therefore less informed. I have overcome miscuing, but I guess my learning curve will start over as I try applying English to reduce scratches & improve CB placement. Chalking is a 2nd career with the phenolic.
 
seymore15074 said:
You have got to be kidding me...lol It's not like you couldn't just say: INSIDE is toward the object ball and OUTSIDE is away from it...

Except for the part about that is a wrong answer.

Dale
 
pdcue said:
Except for the part about that is a wrong answer.

Dale

Inside is english toward the object ball and Outside is away from it. There is nothing wrong about that. Running english and reverse english depends on the angle into the rail...oh wait, I forgot--I don't know what I'm talking about.
 
berlowmj said:
especially when my books are ambiguous or contradicting each other.

As I'm sure you've noticed pool = contradiciton.

I use inside and outside to describe cb to ob contact with or without contacting
a rail afterward, and I use running and reverse to describe kick shots where
spin is necessary.

Once the concepts are learned, you can call it whatever you want, right, left, screw, etc.

best of luck
-cOOp
 
Back
Top