Determining left / right inside or outside pivots or sweeps

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Or you can all end this and just use equal opposite parts or opposite contact points aiming systems.
Those can't be argued against.

Smiling. Nodding. Lol. Honestly I've never been able to see or keep the ob contact point in focus. From behind the ob it's easy to see, but from behind the cb it's most definitely not, at least for me. I find it easy and effective to aim along the stroke line, straight through center cue ball, with my cue stick guiding the exact direction I want the cb to go, not thinking about or trying to match two contact points up that are offset from my stroke/aim line.

But it is beneficial to know that the contact point is always halfway between object ball center and the fractional aim point. In other words, when aiming for a 1/2 ball hit the contact point on the ob (from the cb's perspective) is at the quarter (halfway between ob center ob and ob edge).

Last edited:

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll take a shot at answering OP question. Forget CTE for a moment and pretend you are lining up any cut shot. So. you want to stand behind the CB and look directly down the shot line through CCB. Now, how do you determine if you are ON the shot line, or if you are thick or thin of it? You should be able to look down CCB and visually SEE the answer, yes? Keep this in mind.

So now back to CTE. This time we have already picked the perception and put our eyes where the aim line and CTEL are aligned. From here, it’s the same! Looking through CCB we should be able to see how it aligns with the OB and determine IF we just shot straight through, are we thick or thin? That determines the sweep/pivot. Be keenly aware that the CCB “line” we are looking down is not the aim line (A/B/C) or the CTEL. Those are used to establish this CCB we are looking at. And of course after we are down on the shot and after the sweep/pivot, now THIS CCB is the shot line we shoot down.

Mind you, the book and truth series are going to simplify this process dramatically, so be patient ;)

Mohrt, thanks for the detailed answer.

Just to clarify, that I'm looking at it correctly.
When doing the first part of your answer, as I'm looking down the shot line through CCB. I should be looking at the contact point on the ob .
And then, now doing CTE, after having the visuals and not standing behind either perception line or CTEL. I'm now looking through CCB still at the cp to determine if its thick or thin.
Is that correct ?

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I do on just about every shot. So do you. The only difference is I know it.

pj
chgo

The cat's out of the bag. There are no more secrets to reveal. Life is full of estimations, like walking through a doorway....we manage it by looking at the gap and estimating very accurately where our boby should be in order to walk through unscathed. Alcohol, however, affects our ability to accurately estimate our exact body position, as well as the doorway gap, and we just might miss the opening entirely, or at the very least we bang our shoulder off the doorframe on our way through.:D

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cat's out of the bag. There are no more secrets to reveal. Life is full of estimations, like walking through a doorway....we manage it by looking at the gap and estimating very accurately where our boby should be in order to walk through unscathed. Alcohol, however, affects our ability to accurately estimate our exact body position, as well as the doorway gap, and we just might miss the opening entirely, or at the very least we bang our shoulder off the doorframe on our way through.:D

True, but i just hate when i hit the side of the doorways, and wobble back and forth until my wife takes the next shot and pushes me through. Would rather just make it through the center on my own