Diamonds trapping balls

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
Being playing on newish Diamonds lately and noticed that if you knuckle a ball they trap and stay right over the pocket, is this normal for Diamonds?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Being playing on newish Diamonds lately and noticed that if you knuckle a ball they trap and stay right over the pocket, is this normal for Diamonds?

There were a lot of shots like that at the just-finished US Open.

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think what he is referring to by knuckling a ball is slamming it into a pocket. Personally, I play on diamonds that are new and newish with fresh cloth and cushions. I own a 7' with procut pockets myself. I can tell you first hand if you hit the ball into the pocket without hitting the rails on the way in I have only seen a diamond pocket reject a ball one time in my life. Even that time is suspect as it may have hit the cushion it just happened so fast I could not tell. On the other hand if you hit the rails on the way in tight pockets can be fussy. I have seen a lot of tables that would allow you to hold two balls together and slide them right into a pocket. I can tell you that with procut pockets you will not be able to do that. I believe the shelf depth also will contribute to balls getting caught up as you say. The deeper the shelf depth the tougher the pocket according to what I have read. In reality, I tend to try to only hit the object balls hard enough to pocket them yet not hard enough to be able to get my cue ball to another pocket unless absolutely necessary. Then again I am still working on my pattern play.

Last edited:

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
Rephrase: if you just miss the ball and hit the point it traps over the hole, better? :thumbup:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Traps over the hole" means that it doesn't go in but stays there right in front of the pocket? Pfff, Canadians.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rephrase: if you just miss the ball and hit the point it traps over the hole, better? :thumbup:
A little better but you still have a way to go. Proper American is: It hits the near tit and rattles and hangs up.

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
Don't get on their bad side. Some of us may need them after the election.

Too late

bricky-level.jpg

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

After using the universal translator supplied by aliens I think the correct response is the pockets have a deep shelf and a poorly hit ball will hang in the jaws due to said shelf:smile:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After using the universal translator supplied by aliens I think the correct response is the pockets have a deep shelf and a poorly hit ball will hang in the jaws due to said shelf:smile:

You are spending too much time above the earth, I do believe.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

And that the 141* corner angles should be reduced to 139*.
Reduce the down angle from 15* to 13*.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
And that the 141* corner angles should be reduced to 139*.
Reduce the down angle from 15* to 13*.

So....you're recommending that he have the pockets set up for senior citizens playing on it? Do you even understand the differences between 15 and 13 degrees down angle?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
So....you're recommending that he have the pockets set up for senior citizens playing on it? Do you even understand the differences between 15 and 13 degrees down angle?

I believed the most admired table restorer when he told me that.
And from what I've already seen, he was pretty much right from the get-go.

Unlike someone who certifies pockets without even seeing them.