Do you pick Thorsten Hohmann as the World's No. 1 Player?

LeftyIke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thorsten seems to be great at a number of games,especially Straight Pool,but wins over great players in 9 & 10 Ball too. Can you consider him the Best in the World right now,and a cinch hall-of-Famer? Where do you rank him All-Time? I realize that he's only 34 or so.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the hottest player on the planet atm and future hall of famer. His fundamentals are so damn perfect...

Sent from my MB632 using Tapatalk 2

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thorsten seems to be great at a number of games,especially Straight Pool,but wins over great players in 9 & 10 Ball too. Can you consider him the Best in the World right now,and a cinch hall-of-Famer? Where do you rank him All-Time? I realize that he's only 34 or so.

Does Europe have a hall of fame? I did not know that. Who is in it so far?

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bca hall of fame doesnt include only us players,it is open for all players given their achievements. And Toastie would be good pick+he has lots of good years ahead of him ;)

Sent from my MB632 using Tapatalk 2

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the flavor of the week..

one week its svb, the next its orcullo.

this week, its toastey.

it's just the nature of pool.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
right now yes probably he is inform best player in world right now having won 9 ball and straight pool
But unlike in old days, where there is much less competition and top players can remain at top for long periods these days,the lead at top keep changing.
Remember few years ago, it was SVB who was hot
Then Mika was hot winning US open , World etc
Then it was Orcullo, then Appleton

Best player in world keeps changing. Easily up to 50 top players can be best player at any time. While he is flavor of the moment he best savor it and enjoy it.
As for Hall of fame, he definitely has one foot in
Of the 3 straight pool world he has won only the first one in 2006 is recognised by WPA as world championship.
He should win a top 10 ball tourney or next month's international challenge of champions to dispel doubting thomases :grin:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My point is this: Why doesn't Europe have a hall of fame? I had thought maybe they did and I was not aware of it.

It has nothing to do with who's inducted in the BCA Hall of Fame.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't realize that Ralf Souqet and Efren had become Americans when they were voted in. Guess you learn something new everyday :)

I think there are other pool-related halls of fame in existence. For example, OnePocket.org has a hall of fame. :)

BCA has a hall of fame. :)

New England Pool has a hall of fame. :)

I am curious if there are any other pool-related entities that have a hall of fame.

Are Americans the only ones who have pool-related halls of fame?

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
I wouldn't put him world #1 for sure. He's not even #1 in the money just on AZB.

I also have no idea if the guy can grind out a long set. He's certainly a hot tourney player at the moment no doubt, but definitely not the current #1.

Also might wanna look here:

http://www.azbilliards.com/people/

still 20k+ behind SVB...

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is right now but that doesn't mean he will be next week. After all no one would have argued he was #1 just 40 days ago. It's hard to be in peak #1 form for too long.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is right now but that doesn't mean he will be next week. After all no one would have argued he was #1 just 40 days ago. It's hard to be in peak #1 form for too long.

Good point. :smile:

Just curious, but which player in the history of pool do you think had the longest streak of winning? This includes both tournament play and/or gambling.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good point. :smile:

Just curious, but which player in the history of pool do you think had the longest streak of winning? This includes both tournament play and/or gambling.

Mosconi? Cooney? Pots and Pans? who knows?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mosconi? Cooney? Pots and Pans? who knows?

In my lifetime, I am thinking it is Earl Strickland, but I would be interested to learn from others who know more about players from yesteryear. Willie Mosconi for sure was the most publicized during his era. Maybe that's the longest streak. Not sure.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I don't feel Thorsten is best, but he is now in the conversation with Shane Van Boening, Darren Appleton, Dennis Orcullo, Alex Pagualyan, Carlo Biado and Francisco Bustamante.

Personally, I think Dennis Orcullo is the best player in the world, but let's make no mistake about it, Thorsten has earned his WPA #1 ranking. Those of us who count him as a friend, myself included, are very happy for him.

Thorsten is a future BCA Hall of Famer, but he'll have to wait until he turns 40 to be inducted (put it on your 2019 calendar).

On a related matter, Thorsten may soon be in the conversation with Willie Mosconi, Ralph Greenleaf and Irving Crane in the discipline of 14.1, but even that is premature.

Last edited:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
He's a great player but by no means the best in the world. He's had some great tournaments lately and on a hot streak but I don't think he's the best 10ball player or straight pool player... Or all around player. He's just playing good right now. It's not an insult, just my opinion.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Well ... here's my opinion. About twice a week a buddy of mine and I get together to play some pool. We flip a coin for the first break. He wins every single time, well, 90% anyway.

Is he a better coin flipper than I am?

My opinion is you can't determine the best player by a game that is SO sub par to the level of play these guys are capable of. Namely 9 ball and 10 ball. Far too much luck involved, and far too little challenge for these guys to run out to say who the best player is based on those games.

The best POOL player in general not rotation player, can only be determined by straight pool. It's the game with the least degree of luck involved, the requirement for the best and longest concentration, imagination and pattern play.

From there ... waddia think? Who's the best pool player?

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I think you could safely say that Thorsten is the best straight pool player, and even in fact probably ranks among the best ever.