Does anybody actually LIKE the Sardo Tight-Rack?

gobrian77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a friend from the States come out for a visit, and he asked if he could bring anything (which is always appreciated as shipping charges to Thailand can be insane depending on the item)- I asked for a set of pocket reducers and a Sardo Tight-Rack (this was a few weeks before I discovered AZ, where I searched threads concerning both items).

The pocket reducers don't seem to be too popular around here (and setting them up is a pain- way harder than doing a couple quick shots of Jack Daniels, which always reduces the size of the pockets considerably for me:rolleyes: )- not a big deal.

The rack, however, I really thought was a cool thing to have. I'm a huge fan of the 9-Ball World Championships, and I figured if it was good enough for them, it was way too good for me (I realize Sardo is a sponsor...)- I had to have one.

My table arrives soon, but I don't want to do any unnecessary damage to my (really hard to get here) 860 cloth with the Tight Rack.

So, any positive reviews or alternate opinions (negative or otherwise)?:cool:

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
my understanding of the sardo is that for it to work properly it needs the table to be tapped. so if the table is tapped, why the hell to you need the sardo rack. just roll the balls into place.

can somebody enlighten me?

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sardo.....

gobrian77 said:
Had a friend from the States come out for a visit, and he asked if he could bring anything (which is always appreciated as shipping charges to Thailand can be insane depending on the item)- I asked for a set of pocket reducers and a Sardo Tight-Rack (this was a few weeks before I discovered AZ, where I searched threads concerning both items).

The pocket reducers don't seem to be too popular around here (and setting them up is a pain- way harder than doing a couple quick shots of Jack Daniels, which always reduces the size of the pockets considerably for me:rolleyes: )- not a big deal.

The rack, however, I really thought was a cool thing to have. I'm a huge fan of the 9-Ball World Championships, and I figured if it was good enough for them, it was way too good for me (I realize Sardo is a sponsor...)- I had to have one.

My table arrives soon, but I don't want to do any unnecessary damage to my (really hard to get here) 860 cloth with the Tight Rack.

I use the Sardo "tight hands" rack.I push straight downward on the balls with my hands and they stay just great.:D

The Sardo? I haven't tried one. but they seem very bulky. I understand they have a lighter one now.

Give me wood!;)

Ray

gobrian77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bigtruck said:
I use the Sardo "tight hands" rack.I push straight downward on the balls with my hands and they stay just great.:D

The Sardo? I haven't tried one. but they seem very bulky. I understand they have a lighter one now.

Give me wood!;)

Ray

Yeah, I've got the M-5000, which is the newer, smaller version- the bigger one must have been a monster, 'cause the one I've got ain't small...:D

MasterClass

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an M 5000

I like mine. Though i rarely get to use it now as i do not have a home table. But when i did, i think its great!

Unless you have clean balls and fairly new cloths the rack is just not going to be tight all the time.

But all the balls will stay in shape and that is important. And as i start to get older, i think racking balls for 3-4 hours at a time without a sardo is really hurting my back.

I think my M 5000 is lighter then the old ones and functional. That is good enough for me.

Of course i have to put up with the sniggering and smart ass jokers who would try to pass some stupid remarks about it when i use it. I just ignore them. After all, it is my back that i am saving!

DeadPoked

Inadequate User
Silver Member
Stick with the Jack Daniels for the pocket reducing. Try seeing if those pocket reducers you bought can also make a woman look better? I think not.

gobrian77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MasterClass said:
Unless you have clean balls and fairly new cloths the rack is just not going to be tight all the time.

The one I have is still in the box- my table should be arriving in a few weeks, and that's when I will try it out.

Like I said, I saw it used at the championships, and I'm a sucker for marketing, I guess.;)

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
I like it.

We had them at the Megabreak in Bkk ( now called the "Ball in Hand") when it opened I was one of 3 original investors.

The girls couldn't quite figure them out, so now they use standard racks.

PS: I promise to check out your place next time I go to Samui. (Ching ching)

gobrian77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuaba said:
I like it.

We had them at the Megabreak in Bkk ( now called the "Ball in Hand") when it opened I was one of 3 original investors.

The girls couldn't quite figure them out, so now they use standard racks.

PS: I promise to check out your place next time I go to Samui. (Ching ching)

I've stopped into "Ball In Hand" (I usually stay at the Majestic Grande when I'm in BKK, and it's right across the street)- nice set -up (though they really need to update their website).

Stop by anytime you're in town (hopefully my house will be done and my table will be set up- we can shoot a few racks).:cool:

GADawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never used one so can't speak from personal experience but they had Sardos in Shanghai last year for the IPT qualifier.

After the first day of having the referees fighting with those things trying to get decent racks, they put them back in the boxes and used wood racks.

I think when you see them on TV or videos, they are only being used on the TV table at tournaments and usually with Carmine Sardo doing the racking. I'm sure there is a financial consideration involved.

unknownpro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gobrian77 said:

The Sardo or a racking template will give you basically the same result. The Rack-M-Rite racking template was sold in the U.S. a few years ago. The EPBF (European Billiard Federation) sells a copy of it that they use in all the Euro tour events. Either will give you a perfect rack time after time that will only wear one hole (after much use) in the footspot. (You shouldn't actually have a normal spot sticker - you are better off without it). This hole is far better than the trenches worn by "normal" racks.

If you've never experienced a perfect rack you will be shocked by how repeatable the break becomes. Too repeatable for 9-ball, in my opinion. (So just add more balls if that's too easy). And I should know, lol! Any time you see a nine-ball shoot out of the diamond on the break you can rest assured it was a very bad rack.

If you have already purchased the Sardo, I highly recommend using it. The new cloth makes it easy to use. If you use it from the beginning it will save a lot of wear in the long run. After the table is used it will be much harder to set the rack and try it later. So use it from the beginning. If you get tired of it you can trash it later. It won't hurt your cloth or your slate in normal use, except that if you break 9-ball from the same place repeatedly you will wear a star pattern from the balls going in nearly exactly the same direction on the break, over and over and over again.

unknownpro

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like the Sardos a lot. They are all great people, and they do great upholstery work on cars. As far as the rack goes, No Comment!

yes!

corey loves it!! With his soft break, almost always he pockets the wing ball. A great player who owes much of his success to sardo.

And yes, it is cumbersome and THE TABLE MUST BE TAPPED!

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NYC cue dude said:
corey loves it!! With his soft break, almost always he pockets the wing ball. A great player who owes much of his success to sardo.

Good point!!!!

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
NYC cue dude said:

Uh...No.

So I guess all those shots after the break could be made by just anybody?

Corey adapted better to the Sardo than anyone. So to me it means he owes his success to his talent and the ability to adapt to playing conditions.

Maybe a little nit picky, but you get my point.

I agree whole heartedly with your assessment of the Sardo. I talked a buddy who owned Chalkies in Indy into buying one of the first generation (M-2000 I think) racks to try. After measuring and marking and tapping the table we used it for about a week. 2 owners later and it's probably still under a desk somewhere.

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MasterClass said:
But all the balls will stay in shape and that is important. And as i start to get older, i think racking balls for 3-4 hours at a time without a sardo is really hurting my back.

I have the new light Sardo rack. If having a perfect rack all the time is important to you, then yeah, the Sardo is the ticket.

But to me, it is not worth it. With a good wooden rack you can get a tight rack with less bending over because you can rack the balls FASTER. A LOT FASTER!

I gave up the Sardo because it made my back sore from using it :eek:

mattman

Silver Member
I have the Sardo M-5000. It does what it says...makes a tight rack. I used mine for a couple month and now I just like throughing the balls in a normal rack because it faster. It was pretty fun at parties to watch people try and figure out how to use it. I have been thinking of putting it on eBay lately.

Matt

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
I like the Sardos a lot. They are all great people, and they do great upholstery work on cars. As far as the rack goes, No Comment!

Great answer Jay,

The Sardo Brothers are really great people and they play pool also.

The Rack is great if you have NEW cloth and NEW balls to start with, Use the template, follow the instructions and you have a tight rack everytime.

I've used and seen these racks in action in pool rooms and in tournaments. The players really like them because it eliminates the 'rack fixing and arguments' at the table during the matches. Some players don't like the Sardo rack because it takes this little 'move' away.

Like any billiard product if it is good, it will sell it self.