Dress Code for Gold Crown Billiards, Erie, PA

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Myself and many, many boaters, outdoor activities individuals and normal individuals of ALL ages use the hoodies for what they are for - Plain and simple. = protection from inclement weather. Difficult to understand ?

Is there inclement weather inside a pool room? Like you, most people do understand.

dom_poppa

Banned
Is there inclement weather inside a pool room? Like you, most people do understand.

you have the AC on and it's too cold...lol

Temperature varies from room to room...it's either cold or it's either too warm and you probably know this.

When there's only 1 table going...usually owner's will keep the heat off, so I wear a hoodie to play pool. Something that I don't like but I got to do it because the manager won't turn on the heater.

When it's 100 degrees out here and they won't turn on the AC because there's a few people there. I like to take my pants off and wear my undershirt. I wear long boxers so they look like shorts anyways. :D

Last edited:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Hey Dom, I like to doff the ole duds once in a while myself.

So Paul, do you provide a section for nuderists?

What if someone had a tattoo of a Hoody on their arm?

Last edited:

barboxbanks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Dom, I like to doff the ole duds once in a while myself.

So Paul, do you provide a section for nuderists?

What if someone had a tattoo of a Hoody on their arm?
I wonder if he'd kick out a known professional player if they just decided to stop in on a whim to play? Or are there exceptions?

dom_poppa

Banned
In all seriousness though, I think what Paul is trying to do and is doing, is fantastic.

Paul is a pool guy first but his pool room isn't just a pool room. It's like an entertaining spot, with music, food, drinks with young and good looking people. He has cleaned it up a lot.

Perhaps, we, as pool players are use to the saying, "I will play anywhere any room as long as there is a table" mentality. We all probably learned to play pool in a ragged and rough environment so we are use to it. You can always tell if someone is new to a pool room because of how they are dressed, like after dinner or on a date.

A bartender at a place I play, says "A pool hall is where first dates die....." Paul's place looks like a place that you can go without intimidation.

One thing I do wish is that tournament players at least show up to the tournaments in a collar shirt or have it tucked in. I don't understand how a player is shooting with a beautiful $3000 cue but his entire outfit looks like it cost ten bucks. Should be playing with a house cue. You want to play your best and look good doing it and look as though you belong holding that cue.

I would definitely visit his place if I am ever in the area. I try to frequent as many pool halls as I can when I'm in a new city or town. Fortunately my significant other won't be saying, "We going to another pool hall here?" She would actually like it.

dom_poppa

Banned
I don't know about you guys but I hang out too much at a pool hall and I won't feel guilty for not going elsewhere than here.....perhaps a more relaxed dress code in the day and stricter at night.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I wouldn't really call this place a pool hall....it looks more like a restaurant/bar/dance that happens to have professional grade pool tables.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
.The most important thing any room owner can do for the sport of pool is to attract young people, hoodie or not.

Honestly, I don't know what you guys are thinking when you say something like this. I read it all the time on this forum. Just where are these young people going to play? How many cities and towns across the United States have establishments that are appropriate for young people?

Is a responsible parent going to send or take his kid to some toilet corner bar or some filthy dive outdated poolroom with foul mouthed degenerates hanging around?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Honestly, I don't know what you guys are thinking when you say something like this. I read it all the time on this forum. Just where are these young people going to play? How many cities and towns across the United States have establishments that are appropriate for young people?

Is a responsible parent going to send or take his kid to some toilet corner bar or some filthy dive outdated poolroom with foul mouthed degenerates hanging around?

Paul, I don't follow my 18 year old around, and if I did, he wouldn't forgive me.
(Fortunately he is a great kid.)

Thing is, we can do our best to bring our kids up correctly, but they are gonna be kids.

What are you doing to make sure they have a good environment, yet allowing them to still be kids? I'm not sure banning hoodies is the answer to that issue.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Paul, I don't follow my 18 year old around, and if I did, he wouldn't forgive me.
(Fortunately he is a great kid.)

Thing is, we can do our best to bring our kids up correctly, but they are gonna be kids.

What are you doing to make sure they have a good environment, yet allowing them to still be kids? I'm not sure banning hoodies is the answer to that issue.

It works for us.

Your son is 18, not 10, 12, or 14.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member

It works for us.

Your son is 18, not 10, 12, or 14.

Paul,

1.) No one said anything about 10 year old kids. But whats wrong with allowing the youth in to play pool during day time hours on weekends or holidays as long as they are accompined with a parent?
2.) Why does every other pool hall in the world except yours have to be a filthy dive outdated poolroom?
3.) Good luck with your pursuit to be understood.

Mark

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
And Paul is doing this for pool and all the room owners across North America, but this is how he really thinks of your room or bar.

I'll tell you what Paul. Where I play there are lots of parents that bring their kids to play. Its not the LaDiDa atmosphere that you believe your place is but far from how you just described what you think every hall is except your own.

Hows the weather up there Paul. Please let us low lifes know. What exactly do you think you're runnig Paul, the Waldorf Astoria with a couple of tables.

Last edited:

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll tell you what Paul. Where I play there are lots of parents that bring their kids to play.

If you have such a place in your home town, then your community is fortunate. I will say it again in another way, plain and simple "Most towns do not have a place to play pool that is appropriate for children."

In what town do you live and what are the names of the establishments where parents bring their children?

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
i can tell you in no way did the dress code have ANY negative impact on gold crown , a friend of mine and myself drove 7 hrs to play in his event , he treated everyone there very well and everyone got along great no argueing no fighting nothing he treated everyone there with respect and he got treated with respect in turn , its no diff than some night clubs they have dress codes whats the problem , dress codes do make a diff i can tell you that from the rooms i play in and have been into if more rooms were run more like gold crown i feel they would be better off

But what if the dress code should suddenly include tattoos?

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But what if the dress code should suddenly include tattoos?

But what if the dress code should suddenly include tattoos, purple sox, walking canes, masks, ear muffs, pearcings, knee pads, arm slings, bracelets, hair ties, or anything else you can think of? This has been answered over and over in this thread.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing I do wish is that tournament players at least show up to the tournaments in a collar shirt or have it tucked in. I don't understand how a player is shooting with a beautiful $3000 cue but his entire outfit looks like it cost ten bucks. Should be playing with a house cue. You want to play your best and look good doing it and look as though you belong holding that cue.

Good point. The World Standarized Rules for attire for a tournament are very reasonable: http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/the_regulations#3_1

Last edited:

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
My only.....complaint, for lack of a better word, with your sign on the first page of this thread is the biker leather. If it's cold outside and I show up with a black leather biker jacket on that doesn't make me a hoodlum. I don't play in my jacket either. I'm all for people not coming in looking like slobs but come on, you're telling people what kind of jackets they're allowed to own.
MULLY

tony frank

THE TRAPPER
Silver Member
Relax and have a chuckle or two.

Saint Peter is sitting at the Pearly Gates when two men wearing hoodies arrived.

St. Peter looked out through the Gates and said "Wait here. I will be right back."

St. Peter goes over to God's chambers and tells him who is waiting for entrance. God says to Peter: "How many times do I have to tell you, you can't be racist and judgmental here. This is heaven. All are loved. All are brothers.

Go back and let them in!"

St. Peter goes back to the Gates, looks around, and lets out a heavy sigh.

He returns to God's chambers and says

"Well, they're gone."

The guys wearing hoodies?" asked God.

"No. The Pearly Gates."

FRENCHY

FlcnAPG

Registered
Paul I'll say this much from the last time I was there. I came in with my wife, father and sister-in-law to play. While we knew you had a dress code I did not know it carried to sweat pants at the time I came in. Mind you I hadn't been in Erie for many years having be Active Duty USAF since 2001. Anyway I had fallen and landed on my knee wrong while on vacation leading to some decent swelling so jeans were out of the question for me at the time. Not sure if it was you or one of your employees who came over, but long story short we were denied entrance.

Yes your dress code and code of conduct are important to your business. Yes I see reading a bit of the history why you started it. No I don't see how a person wearing sweat pants is a danger to your business or clientele. Your successful with what you've established as yours is the only place in the county. It's easier when there is no real competition to worry about.

We all have our opinions as to how we'd do it, and yes yes we see the number of years you keep quoting what something like 34 and counting. It works and if my wife and I are going to be able to play we will have to abide. I'll just have to be sure my wore out old knees are about to fit comfortably into a pair of approved pants if I want to play. If not you won't get some of my money that day.

I just hope your employees don't get over the top with your customers, thanks to youtube one bad night and Gold Crown will go viral.