Eagle Eye Takes Aim at 14.1 High Runs

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bobby has chosen not to release additional photos and measurements, basically feeling that nothing will make some people happy so why bother.

All I can tell you is that he sent me photos of the pockets with calipher measurements and I’m good with them but will honor his wishes given they are his photos. And as I’ve said, just for my own peace of mind I talked to one of the best table mechanics in the Midwest and he said our pocket specs were within allowable limits. This mechanic owes me nothing (I don’t even own a table) and has no vested interest in our event.

So bottom line is that it’s Bobby’s call.

Lou Figueroa
Parallel pocket facing angles (135°) are a commonly accepted alteration on extremely tight pocket tables seen in numerous California poolrooms (reworked by mechanics such as Ernesto Dominguez), with extended sub rails and corner pocket mouth measurements of say 4 inches. It allows for an extremely tight pocket table to play reasonable (as opposed to ridiculously difficult) if the player is accurate enough to hit the pocket facing on the shot.

On his most recent visit to our poolroom to re-cover our pool tables, I had Ernesto change our pocket facing angles on our 4-3/4” and 4-3/8” corner pocket tables from 143° to 140°, to make them play a little more forgiving.

I’m guessing if I’d requested Ernesto to change our pocket facing angles to 135° (Parallel) yet still maintain the 4-3/4” mouth specs, he would have questioned my intentions and he would have warned me how ridiculously easy that would make the pockets play, and he would have advised me against it.

That is the basic point that Glen and I are trying to make here. To have the best professional shotmakers in the world playing on a table like this doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to some of us, and will only result in controversy if a record high run happens to be set.

That being said, I’m still thoroughly enjoying watching this event, and the amazing skills that these players possess, even some players like SVB, Earl and Jayson, who are not considered among the very elite 14.1 players.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd give Jason enough credit to threaten SVB's high run lead of 308, but he's no threat to break 400.
He got over 400!

Congratulations to Shaw. One of the straightest shooters around.

I think it is very impressive that these guys who primarily excel at 9 and 10 ball are having such high runs, even if they play "the wrong way"

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
He got over 400!

Congratulations to Shaw. One of the straightest shooters around.

I think it is very impressive that these guys who primarily excel at 9 and 10 ball and having such high runs, even if they play "the wrong way"
Exactly

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Perspective distortion -- think of how a vanishing point works. Here is a better picture of one of the corner pockets on that table with less distortion but still some.

View attachment 624943

Here's a different pocket on the 626 table. Maybe the camera is a little more vertical.

View attachment 624945
Bob, you can clearly see the funnel of the pocket opening getting smaller towards the back of the throat, that's my point about the GC3 these guys are playing on, there is no funnel effect, the pocket clearly is as wide at the throat as it is in the mouth, and you can see the throat of the pocket is wider than the throat of the pocket casting.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow! Jayson got sharked. As he took his last shot you can hear someone say “Work, work, work says the little man” in a silly loud voice. Jayson missed and said something like “See ya later, pal.” And as he was unscrewing his cues you can hear him say “What a scumbag.”
It's really hard to hear and it's not clear who is saying what.

The thing I find slightly surprising and very disappointing is that here a guy is on 406 and the other "pool players" in the room have no interest in watching what he is doing or how far the run is going to go.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Wow! Jayson got sharked. As he took his last shot you can hear someone say “Work, work, work says the little man” in a silly loud voice. Jayson missed and said something like “See ya later, pal.” And as he was unscrewing his cues you can hear him say “What a scumbag.”
Seriously?

I saw him pack up fast after the miss but couldn't hear loud enough, at work

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's really hard to hear and it's not clear who is saying what.

The thing I find slightly surprising and very disappointing is that here a guy is on 406 and the other "pool players" in the room have no interest in watching what he is doing or how far the run is going to go.
Here. I uploaded the video with boosted audio.

I would have guessed it was just another table’s chatter but I hear Jayson call someone a “scumbag” at the end of the clip.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I have no problem with the pockets being turned into huge catchers mits, where I have a problem is when the hosts of this event call those pockets legit, when clearly they're not. Not one table manufacturer on the planet builds pocket pool tables with parallel miter angles in the corner pockets, the BCA specs clearly don't support them, so why is it so important that the viewers have to be lead to believe they're "legit" pocket openings when clearly they're not.

When I start getting requests to build pockets like these on customers home tables because they want their table to play just like this table plays, I'm going to refuse the work because its against my principles of how a pool table should play, in my opinion of course, as well as the manufacturers and BCA too.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's f****** hilarious that Jason Shaw, the biggest drama queen in pool can be playing BY HIMSELF, and still find a way to get pissed off at someone else.

I mean, if I ran that many balls and missed because someone was mouthing off I'd be upset too. It's just humorous to me that this guy can't play in a single event without having something bother him.

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
Personally if I were a player of Jason's stature I would not partake if the tables weren't of pro standard, it detracts from his brand imo.
Lay down 4 or 500 hundred on a proper table and you create yourself a legacy and much respect.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Here. I uploaded the video with boosted audio.

I would have guessed it was just another table’s chatter but I hear Jayson call someone a “scumbag” at the end of the clip.

Jason was done at that point, all he needed was an excuse to get out of there, he was burnt out, he has the high run record rith now, so ne reason to stick around any longer.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first shot after breaking the 29th rack, with the run at 393:

js051.jpeg

After looking over the table for 45 seconds, Jason called the 12-ball (the striped ball on the lower right of the table) in the left corner pocket. The 12-ball hit the end rail here:

js052.jpeg

Then the 12-ball caromed into the 1-ball and deflected into the corner pocket. Nice shot!

Jason measured the angle off the rail into the 1-ball with his stick, so he was definitely playing the carom.

After breaking the 30th rack, here was Jason's first shot:

js053.jpeg

He undercut it slightly:

js054.jpeg

js055.jpeg

js056.jpeg

(29 racks x 14) + break ball on the 30th rack = 407. Jason Shaw, Mr. 400.

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wasn't meaning to be critical of Shaw, just going off of what some other posters were saying at least on the first days of his attempts

Oh I know.

I was critical about parts of his game in the beginning, but it's clear and not surprising that he improved significantly as the week went on.

The Jayson that ran 407 isn't the same Jayson that started.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
That's f****** hilarious that Jason Shaw, the biggest drama queen in pool can be playing BY HIMSELF, and still find a way to get pissed off at someone else.

I mean, if I ran that many balls and missed because someone was mouthing off I'd be upset too. It's just humorous to me that this guy can't play in a single event without having something bother him.
Pool has had a single winner in the Drama Queen category since the late 70s/early 80s and it isn't Jayson.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Personally if I were a player of Jason's stature I would not partake if the tables weren't of pro standard, it detracts from his brand imo.
Lay down 4 or 500 hundred on a proper table and you create yourself a legacy and much respect.
Man I thought I heard it all in this thread, geez lmao