Earl Strickland Video showing him trying to hit his opponent with his cue.

jimmy-leggs

A GREAT DAY
Silver Member
wayne said:
My personal experience with Earl Strickland was very good and I have never personally experienced anything negative from him. However, one thing to consider is the players back during the Camel Tour voted on a number of things and one of the them was "the player with the worst attitude?" The winner (or loser) was Earl Strickland.
Really?That shocks me!:eek: :D

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Mr. X-Breaker: Is it because you are in direct competition with Gulyassey Break Cues that you decided to post this now? Your posts have ALWAYS had hidden meanings. How many times have you paid someone to start a thread about break cue comparisions to have you be the first voice to jump in? Nice marketing job. If you care to air dirty laundry, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Earl uses that stuff to motivate himself. None of it bothers me. The one thing he did that I didn't care for was when he bashed Cuetec after they dropped him.

Fragged

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
watchez said:
Mr. X-Breaker: Is it because you are in direct competition with Gulyassey Break Cues that you decided to post this now? Your posts have ALWAYS had hidden meanings. How many times have you paid someone to start a thread about break cue comparisions to have you be the first voice to jump in? Nice marketing job. If you care to air dirty laundry, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

...Pay someone? He doesn't even want to tip in a Spa!

X Breaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although I was not the one who took a camcorder to tape these videos and posted them on Youtube for many to watch, I can see, as Earl's friends and fans, how you may be inclined to hold me accountable.

A friend of Earl have PM me about the personal issues that Earl is going through now, and I must admit being someone who hardly ever read any Earl thread, I did not know anything about this. If you know Earl, and you find the timing of this thread inappropriate, please accept my sincere apology.

I have been trying to explain that I do not agree with his behavior in these incidents, but I have nothing against Earl as a person. I certainly do not hate Earl. I hope this simple message can come through to those who have a passion for Earl and support him with devotion.

Lastly, to suggest that I am trying to bash his current cue sponsor by posting a link to videos in which Earl was seen using cues made by his previous cue sponsor, Cuetec, while wearing a Cuetec patch, is ridiculous to say the least. I have never said anything bad about his current cue sponsor on this forum, and I do not intend to in the future.

I doubt most viewers would even think of Earl's present cue sponsor when viewing these videos--I know I didn't.

Those who know me know that I consider business a gentlemen's game, i.e. we do not need to attack each other in order to sell our products.

I believe in focusing on perfecting my own cue, and serving my customers right--this is, in my humble opinion, the only way the customers and the industry can come out as winners.

I come to this board to share the love and passion of the game. It is not only about business. Some posters here only post to promote their own business, but I don't. I like to participate.

I want to see pool grow, and I want to see info being shared--that is why I am here.

Thank you.

Richard

Last edited:

cuedoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JimS said:
This is a senseless and mean-spirited thread. X-Breaker, you lose respect in my book.

Yeah,I guess his xbreaker cue sales are in the tank and he has nothing better to do but beat a dead horse! Will be NOT stopping by his booth ever again. How old is this shit he's digging up.....Comon,get a life. I love it when most of the time a EYE WITNESS LIKE JAM is there to tell the real story.

Last edited:

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
give me a break...

wow... i've seen a majority of people on this forum talk trash about earl at one time or another but when richard post a video displaying some of earl's antics everyone wants to call him out on it and accuse him of bashing earl and having ulterior motives. there's another thread going on right now and people are calling earl a "humongous ass" and a "world class piece of junk" but i don't see anyone saying anything about that which isn't very fair in my opinion. i know richard and he is one of the nicest and most genuine people i have ever met. he is a true supporter of pool and makes a quality product. he came across a couple videos which i'm sure we can all agree impose a bad image for the sport of pool and he wanted to comment on it. i would do the same, as others on this board have...

Last edited:

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
branpureza said:
wow... i've seen a majority of people on this forum talk trash about earl at one time or another but when richard post a video displaying some of earl's antics everyone wants to call him out on it and accuse him of bashing earl and having ulterior motives. there's another thread going on right now and people are calling earl a "humongous ass" and a "world class piece of junk" but i don't see anyone saying anything about that which isn't very fair in my opinion. i know richard and he is one of the nicest and most genuine people i have ever met. he is a true supporter of pool and makes a quality product. he came across a couple videos which i'm sure we can all agree impose a bad image for the sport of pool and he wanted to comment on it. i would do the same, as others on this board have...

when Earl won the WPC in 2002 against Bustamante, he acted like a rockstar and stepped up ON the table like he was the king of the world. On the other side Bustamante had learned the same week that his daughter died...he was in the tournament when he learned it and still had the courage to represent his country in this prestigious tournament and make it into the finals. Earl could have AT LEAST acted professionnally and I don't know, give a hug to bustamante for losing his child and congratulate him for not giving up the tournament and show some sympathy...but he prefered to act like a me-myself-and-I.

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ok, I gotta ask;

Why do so many take any of this personally?

I for one, don't care either which way.

It isn't a new scenario in any situation. Regardless of the industry, there is a "bad boy" and someone will sponsor him for that very notoriety. "no such thing as bad press" mentality.

They hired Earl for exactly that reason IMO, not because he is the greatest player or that he will be the winningest player with whatever product.

Marketing 101.

That said, even *if* Richard was playing to the crowd, so what?
Is he not allowed? Again, marketing 101.

Why shouldn't he use that to his advantage? Mike is using the negative actions and publicity for sure.

It think we should all look at it as tongue in cheek humor and not get so worked up over it, as the arguing over something like Earl's percieved faults and who mentions them is what is really bad for our image.

Shake your head, groan, laugh...whatever...it just isn't worth being angry over.

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What really stinks is how if one gets offended the majority of posters jump on the bandwagon to keep bashing. I agree with jamisonneu! Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If it hurts your feelings then get over it. Grow up and be a man. I am so tired of tip toeing around others feelings to be politically correct I am sick. That is part of what is wrong with society today. All this, "you can't say that..you offend me..bull crap!"
If I were Earl Strickland and I wanted to voice my opinion to someone about anything or act in the manner in which he does, SO WHAT! Live and let live people. You live your life and he will live his. Breaking his cue got more publicity than him winning any event he ever won. Have you not felt like wrapping your cue around someone's head before? Although I didn't I sure have felt like it on many occasions. Right now I'm taking a good solid WHACK at this forum. When I started posting here it was useful knowledge a plenty. And I know there is only so much stuff you can talk about regarding pool.
But some on this forum have become a judge, jury, and executioner. I shall refrain from posting examples as not to start a war. But I think some spend way too much time on here. If something is posted and they don't like it, well, you might as well have taken a piss in their living room floor.

GROW UP PEOPLE!!

quitecoolguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All i have to say is that you can search my past post of earl the pearl I have been a big supporter of him ..i may disagree with some of the things he does or says..but he is "to me" one of if not the best..when he is on..no one..and i mean no one except maybe GOD can beat him...but i was really upset when i heard he tried to hit a player with a cue..but when i read this thread and actaully saw the whole picture..you can see it was all in jest..from now on im gona take this approach with earl..every story has three stories...earl's story, the person telling the story and the truth....

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well Said

quitecoolguy said:
All i have to say is that you can search my past post of earl the pearl I have been a big supporter of him ..i may disagree with some of the things he does or says..but he is "to me" one of if not the best..when he is on..no one..and i mean no one except maybe GOD can beat him...but i was really upset when i heard he tried to hit a player with a cue..but when i read this thread and actaully saw the whole picture..you can see it was all in jest..from now on im gona take this approach with earl..every story has three stories...earl's story, the person telling the story and the truth....
Earl gets quite emotional...known fact. If he wasn't the worldbeater he is, though, noone would care. Everyone always will chase after the best. If they can't beat them, they'll find fault in them somewhere. I'm not defending some of his actions, I'm almost "anti" if anything, but let it rest. If you could pick ten Americans to play with you in a round robin against the world and your life depends on winning, you'd better befriend the man.

jimmy-leggs

A GREAT DAY
Silver Member
quitecoolguy said:
"IT WAS ALL IN JEST":rolleyes:The only problem i have with him motioning to strike a player is this:Why does'nt he try this with someone like Morris,Gabe Owen,Robles,Daulton,Putnam,Breedlove,or even Feijan,Mika,Hohmann? Because I'm sure they would"nt put up with it.They would snap his cue and feed it to him.;)

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Take me to your leader?!@

What people see as shocking and unacceptible behavior from Earl is what goes on in normal pool rooms every day with normal people. I guess it's supposed to be different when there's sponsors and TV involved, but seriously... it's pretty commonplace to see people slam (or even break) their sticks when they get mad, to get pissy with opponents, to b*tch about the conditions. It seems like people think pro pool should have the same face as pro golf, zzzzz.

Sometimes I feel for earl because he's seen as sort of antagonistic or a crybaby for complaining about bad rolls and conditions (that was the point when he was talking about cheating). All of us hate bad rolls, I've said some pretty ugly stuff when I feel like the table screwed me or the opponent lucked out, and that was without tens of thousands of dollars (including the mortgage payment?) on the line.

I keep seeing comments like "I can't believe this happened in front of my own eyes!" "It's reprehensible." "It's unbelievably sad" "It's ruining pool!".
Do any of you guys play pool on the same planet as I do? Holy crap, you must go to the cleanest, friendliest, most magical pool halls ever. I see stuff like this every day so I have a hard time believing people are literally SHOCKED to see it.

Anyway, it's not ruining pool, that's some serious melodrama. The TV contracts are the same. Nobody's pulling money out of the prize fund to protest earl. No mother is hauling little timmy out of the pool hall because she saw earl smack a cue on TV. I'm pretty sure acting like a jackass can be scientifically proven to be better for ratings and publicity. Hell, I might be 1% more inclined to get a ticket to an event knowing that I might get to see earl flip out in it. I'm not ashamed of that, it's human nature to be entertained by this stuff.

I think people here have shamed x-breaker into saying "I'm only posting it because it's unbelievable and shocking", when in reality nobody's shocked by this everyday stuff and he just got the same kick out of it that the average person does. If someone said tiger woods or randy moss said something tacky, I'd click a link to watch it.

edit: But - I do think one thing that was more low class than any those videos is when he get snippy with an interview lady for wishing him good luck and disparages the crowd for applauding efren. It's one thing to be nasty to nobody in particular, or even to the opponent, but it's lame to take it out on innocent bystanders (and also not give credit where it's due, in the case of whinging about whatever efren did to win the tournament). --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPrsAU7tqjg

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mr. Wilson said:
Ok, I gotta ask;

Why do so many take any of this personally?

I for one, don't care either which way.

It isn't a new scenario in any situation. Regardless of the industry, there is a "bad boy" and someone will sponsor him for that very notoriety. "no such thing as bad press" mentality.

They hired Earl for exactly that reason IMO, not because he is the greatest player or that he will be the winningest player with whatever product.

Marketing 101.

That said, even *if* Richard was playing to the crowd, so what?
Is he not allowed? Again, marketing 101.

Why shouldn't he use that to his advantage? Mike is using the negative actions and publicity for sure.

It think we should all look at it as tongue in cheek humor and not get so worked up over it, as the arguing over something like Earl's percieved faults and who mentions them is what is really bad for our image.

Shake your head, groan, laugh...whatever...it just isn't worth being angry over.

Thanks for this. I totally agree. State your opinions freely. It is the purpose of a Forum like this. We won't all agree on anything or anyone. It's called a "discussion".

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
X Breaker said:
First Video: Second Video: Here is another video
video ....
Richard
Everybody has bad days - some (possibly Earl) more than others.

Your post seems a little one sided, IMO. In fact, where are all the videos of Earl being a positive influence for the sport- like
  • the one where Earl wins a Million for running 11 RACKS and out.
  • any of Earl's 5 US open wins - spanning 16 years
  • any of his Player of the Year awards
  • any of his record 3 WPA championships (and record 2 in a row)
  • Earl's 2003 "flower boquet" as an apology for a little outburst
  • His induction into the BCA Hall of Fame

I don't think Earl is any more "defective" than any of us. I know I wouldn't want the world judging me. In fact, I'm pretty impressed how Earl takes all the heat that people throw at him.

Kudos to Earl - tantrums and all.

-td

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Earl's not my friend.

td873 said:
Everybody has bad days - some (possibly Earl) more than others.

Your post seems a little one sided, IMO. In fact, where are all the videos of Earl being a positive influence for the sport- like
  • the one where Earl wins a Million for running 11 RACKS and out.
  • any of Earl's 5 US open wins - spanning 16 years
  • any of his Player of the Year awards
  • any of his record 3 WPA championships (and record 2 in a row)
  • Earl's 2003 "flower boquet" as an apology for a little outburst
  • His induction into the BCA Hall of Fame

I don't think Earl is any more "defective" than any of us. I know I wouldn't want the world judging me. In fact, I'm pretty impressed how Earl takes all the heat that people throw at him.

Kudos to Earl - tantrums and all.

-td
Earl handles some of the antagonizers with great discipline in my opinion, at least one that I saw recently.

When I think of the last time I saw Earl play at DCC 2007, a spectator (friend of his opponent) who was right next to the table just outside of the ribbon standing up, decided to take a well timed sip of coke (hoisting the bottle drink quickly and high in the air, taking the smallest sip that even a sparrow wouldn't have had trouble swallowing) just as Earl was making his last stroke and firing the cue ball at it's intended target. He missed. They were playing banks and Earl quite nicely mentioned to the guy, "You picked a real bad time to take a sip of that coke just now" and let it go at that. Seriously, he said it very nicely. After Earl went back to his chair, the guy was smiling and chuckling under his breath as Earl walked away from him. I was on the specatator/antagonizer's one foot line standing directly to his side and saw the snicker and later conversation between Earl's opponent and the spectator/friend. Earl was far more polite than I would have been and I'm a real polite guy. :D
JoeyA

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
X Breaker said:
Then here, Earl missed a shot or something, and broken his cue in front of TV, by banking it on the floor. He then picked up the broken pieces, and walked back to his chair. The crowd went totally crazy. Thomas Engert then calmly walked up to the table to shoot, you can hear someone in the crowd yelled to the top of his lung, "come on Thomas!" .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVXb7-xSLfo&mode=related&search=

Richard

And you can own that bit of history (the broken cue shaft) right here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Earl-Strickland...02QQihZ019QQcategoryZ2852QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Barbara

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lmao!

I just read the description of the broken shaft on eBay and it said - "You will probably never see this happen again so that would make this a one of a kind item."

I just had to laugh at that. :D I am not an Earl basher by any means. I like watching him play but I find it hard to believe that this will never happen again. :)