Efren Reyes today: A road warrior (VIDEO)

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's Efren giving a kid the wild 9 in a 10 ball game. The set was for 38000 Pesos, or approximately $894. Watch it [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpvCbKJLvMY&feature=related]HERE[/URL]

Last edited:

JayBaltimore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's Efren giving a kid the wild 9 in a 10 ball game. The set was for 38000 Pesos, or approximately $894. Watch it [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpvCbKJLvMY]HERE[/URL]

link doesn't work, thanks for the post though.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope the kid can play, wild 9 doesn't seem like much of a spot against Efren.

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I NEVER cease to be amazed by Efren no matter the difficulty of the rack.

He plays Pool better than Nadal plays Tennis or Woods plays Golf.

Last edited:

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I love that he has a ref when he plays to clear the pockets, hand him a bridge, etc. It's very cool. Thanks for the link.

Dave

mrayntexas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Province money games

Believe it or not I backed that kid the last time I was in the Philippines. His name is Jordan and he lives in the same province that my wife is from Bulacan. When I backed him He played Ronnie Alcano with the 9 ball as well and beat him like 3 times. He also played Carlo Biado the same way and beat him like 3 times as well. He played Roberto Gomez the same way once and beat him. Then he played Dennis Orcullo with the 8 ball and got beat hill hill. Overall he did real well and he is only 22 years old.

Its really different how they do the betting. I bet 50,000 pecos when he played those guys and even though he won 7 sets and only lost 3 sets I ended up a little loser in the end. Wasnt a big deal cause I just love to see the filipinos in action. Didnt do it to make a lot of money. You basically only get about 45% of the money you bet. The owner of the pool room (I use that term very loosely) gets like 15%. The spotter (thats the guy we would consider the referee) gets 5%. The player gets like 35% leaving you with about 45% in profit. Not a very good deal if making money is your intention.

The pool room is open air so the temperature at night is about 85 degrees with about 95% humidity so you can just imagine how it feels like to play in those conditions. Before each game it is a mad house. The pros usually have someone with them that takes care of the sidebets from everyone watching. They will bet from 100 pecos up to about 1,000 pecos before each game. If you really want to make money it would be much better to just bet per game and not stake. But if I wasnt there staking, the matches would not have happened because the pros will only come out of Manila if the bet is worth it, at least 50,000.

I wish I would have recorded all the matches and I for sure will the next time I go. Oh and by the way the only reason the kid can play with only the nine ball playing 10 ball race to 23 is because of the home field advantage. The tables are horrible with a couple of the pockets tighter than the rest as well as dead spots on certain rails. If they were to play in Manila at One Side or Star Billiards he could get at least the 7 ball with a couple of games on the wire.

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member
wow you can tell how the cloth and humidity really effects play...he is pounding balls on that table....really cool video thanks for posting....

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you think that shirt makes Efren look fat? Nice video.

Nah, it has no horizontal stripes to make him look fat. ;) Those cross-hatched capri pants, though, make Efren's legs each look like a potted plant with a root growing down through the pot's drainage hole. :p However, they must be "in style" in the Philippines, for there's a kid with an orange shirt off to the left with the same pants.

Good video, though,
-Sean

seanjonsean

Otanisan Cues
Silver Member
fat? u refering to the color of money , when forrest ask Newman do u think i need to lose some weight?

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Nice video. Having someone walk around the table all the time clearing pockets or being in the way would get annoying.

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice video. Having someone walk around the table all the time clearing pockets or being in the way would get annoying.

That is why the pinoy's never complain about people moving or being around the table, they are used to it

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Believe it or not I backed that kid the last time I was in the Philippines. His name is Jordan and he lives in the same province that my wife is from Bulacan. When I backed him He played Ronnie Alcano with the 9 ball as well and beat him like 3 times. He also played Carlo Biado the same way and beat him like 3 times as well. He played Roberto Gomez the same way once and beat him. Then he played Dennis Orcullo with the 8 ball and got beat hill hill. Overall he did real well and he is only 22 years old.

Its really different how they do the betting. I bet 50,000 pecos when he played those guys and even though he won 7 sets and only lost 3 sets I ended up a little loser in the end. Wasnt a big deal cause I just love to see the filipinos in action. Didnt do it to make a lot of money. You basically only get about 45% of the money you bet. The owner of the pool room (I use that term very loosely) gets like 15%. The spotter (thats the guy we would consider the referee) gets 5%. The player gets like 35% leaving you with about 45% in profit. Not a very good deal if making money is your intention.

The pool room is open air so the temperature at night is about 85 degrees with about 95% humidity so you can just imagine how it feels like to play in those conditions. Before each game it is a mad house. The pros usually have someone with them that takes care of the sidebets from everyone watching. They will bet from 100 pecos up to about 1,000 pecos before each game. If you really want to make money it would be much better to just bet per game and not stake. But if I wasnt there staking, the matches would not have happened because the pros will only come out of Manila if the bet is worth it, at least 50,000.

I wish I would have recorded all the matches and I for sure will the next time I go. Oh and by the way the only reason the kid can play with only the nine ball playing 10 ball race to 23 is because of the home field advantage. The tables are horrible with a couple of the pockets tighter than the rest as well as dead spots on certain rails. If they were to play in Manila at One Side or Star Billiards he could get at least the 7 ball with a couple of games on the wire.

Good post.

Best,
Mike

danquixote

DanQuixote
Silver Member
Just learned today that the honored country for 2012 Memphis in May world championship BBQ contest is the PI. I hope some of the local room owners can persuade Efren and his fellow players to make the trip and visit/play in a few rooms here.....what a treat for us if it happens....Dan

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You weren't given a fair shake. Although it's been 8 years since I was last there, the usual "cut" for the spotter/ref and the house if the wager is high enough is 5%, and you have to negotiate with your horse how much his cut will be if you guys happen to win...