Enough of the shit slinging...What happened to Rudolfo Luat?

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not heard or seen anything from him in many years. Does he still play pool? I used to love watching his stroke. Semi sidearm stroke sort of similar to McCready.

I figured I would start a thread to break up all the shit slinging going on here.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I have not heard or seen anything from him in many years. Does he still play pool? I used to love watching his stroke. Semi sidearm stroke sort of similar to McCready.

I figured I would start a thread to break up all the shit slinging going on here.

Think he's a couple of years younger than Efren but not sure, so that would put him in the 56-57 range.

Reached the final of the Derby City banks event in 2009 (I think). To my knowledge, Luat doesn't compete in the US anymore. Also doesn't seem to play the major events in Asia anymore or in the top WPA events and was not in the field at last week's China Open.

May still play in regional events in Asia but we'll need a fan of Asian pool to verify that.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Thanks I needed a break from it, haha. I am not sure but he was one hell of a player as was Marlon Manalo, not sure where they went. :smile:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks I needed a break from it, haha. I am not sure but he was one hell of a player as was Marlon Manalo, not sure where they went. :smile:

Marlon got into politics and Luat is still in the Philippines, gambling etc. He's maybe 4-5 years younger than Efren.

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marlon got into politics and Luat is still in the Philippines, gambling etc. He's maybe 4-5 years younger than Efren.

I believe he was 48 when he played Brumback in the bank finals at the Derby. That was 2009, so it would make him 52 now.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jay-

Used to see Luat out in Riverside for the Labor Day tournaments back when Alex was out there. Luat always seemed a real gentleman. Very quiet player. Classy guy.

Those were good tournaments....Luat, Efren, The Russian, Davenport(before his injury), Morro, Max(w/spiky hair), Santos, Parica, Kong, Schmidt, Hemma, Billy Palmer, George Michaels, Cliff Joyner, Shane Manaloe, Ernesto, Oscar Dominguez.(It was an Ernesto-ized tournment room:eek:)

It was worth being dead money just to see these guys battle.

Oddly enough, I also was just thinking about Luat recently..since haven't seen or heard of him for a while.

OP-thanks for the change of pace thread...we could use it.

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay-

Used to see Luat out in Riverside for the Labor Day tournaments back when Alex was out there. Luat always seemed a real gentleman. Very quiet player. Classy guy.

Those were good tournaments....Luat, Efren, The Russian, Davenport(before his injury), Morro, Max(w/spiky hair), Santos, Parica, Kong, Schmidt, Hemma, Billy Palmer, George Michaels, Cliff Joyner, Shane Manaloe, Ernesto, Oscar Dominguez.(It was an Ernesto-ized tournment room:eek:)

It was worth being dead money just to see these guys battle.

Oddly enough, I also was just thinking about Luat recently..since haven't seen or heard of him for a while.

OP-thanks for the change of pace thread...we could use it.

No problem! I always liked Luat's style. I too was wondering about Andam.

Thanks for all the responses!

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Banks

I believe he was 48 when he played Brumback in the bank finals at the Derby. That was 2009, so it would make him 52 now.

Very minor correction....

I watched him play (and beat) Cole Dickson in the Banks semi's, and believe it was 2010. If so, he'd be 51.

Will Prout

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well, I must include my Luat picture, taken at Champions in Frederick, MD at an IPT qualifier in 2006. :)

Attachments

• Luat in 2006.JPG
    Luat in 2006.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 528

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

McCready wants to rumble on a field of green, sooner than later. The ayes have it, and he's starting to give me his evil eye. :embarrassed2:

Attachments

• In the eyes.JPG
    In the eyes.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 525

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Luat was here in Xiamen earlier this year. Still plays real strong. Played a Taiwanese champion to a draw after two sets on two tables in two pool rooms.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Masirib5

Klaatu barada nikto
Silver Member
Luat plays everyday in Makati City

Makati Cinema Square, Puyat Superbowl. And plays at OneSide and Star Billiards when there is a big tournament there.

--Jeff

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Rudolfo Luat

Based on AZ history it looks like 2006 may have been his best year:

2006 Year in Review
EARNINGS AZB MONEY LEADERBOARD
$88,300 15th
PAYOUT RANK TOURNAMENT
$10,000 1st San Miguel Tour 2006 Stop 3
$15,000 2nd US Open 9-Ball 2006
$8,000 2nd DCC 2006 9B Div.
$10,000 5th World 9B C'ship 2006
$1,500 5th San Miguel Tour 2006 Stop 4
$30,000 7th IPT North American Open 2006
$850 9th DCC 2006 9B Banks Div.
$1,100 17th BCA Open 2006
$250 17th Predator Florida Open 2006
$500 18th DCC 2006 1P Div.
$11,100 56th IPT World Open 8-Ball 2006

He has a 2nd place finish in the US Open! I was there that year and he played as well or better than he ever has and I thought he was going to win the US Open.

James

Put_upor_shutup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a couple ppl that steered him around bars when he was first over here..He was gambling 50-100 a game 8 ball and looked up and he was playing on TV at the same time...Nobody ever noticed I heard..ha ha he was playing as a Mexican kid.All they had to do was look up at the TV..