Fanciest Schon I have seen

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Schon Unique

Tons of ivory. Everything but the butt cap is ivory. Lots of MOP. Midnight black ebony. Hits 'em straight, nice and firm.

Any thoughts on this one? Not sure what the value is buy may be able to acquire it (and/or broker a sale on it).

Let me know your thoughts!

Attachments

• IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 2,075
  • IMG_0664.jpg
    IMG_0664.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 2,136
  • IMG_0666.jpg
    IMG_0666.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 2,267
  • IMG_0667.jpg
    IMG_0667.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 2,037

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a Schon U4.

Most Schon Unique's sell for $1,000 or better new.

mrinsatiable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there was a schon called the scepter...it is by far one of the most intricate cues that schon ever made. Evan Clarke made it in 2004.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon

I have seen that model before and it is beautiful. Not the most intricate to come out of the Schon shop but a beautiful example none the less. Thanks for sharing it.

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
neat cue, Willie Munsons ivory pointed schons were/are something to see back in the day. Didn't Johhny Archer play wit ha fancy Schon too at one point? My brother was a Schon and Scruggs fan back then

Attachments

• schonunique01a (Small).jpg
    schonunique01a (Small).jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 1,780
  • schonunique01c (Small).jpg
    schonunique01c (Small).jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,854
Last edited:

J Layer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
U92

Here's a few picture's of my unique that I've had for awhile.

Attachments

• U 92.jpg
    U 92.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,458
  • my unique 2.jpg
    my unique 2.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,596
  • my unique 3.jpg
    my unique 3.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,540

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big dog
most of these Schons cost $3000 or so new

It might surprise you to know that Schon sells more cues for $2000
or more than any cue maker in the world

I know you meant something negative when you referred to Schon as production cues

What production means is that they actually have mastered the art of making fine
playing ,good looking cues and actually make them

Who do you think makes the cues that won more tournaments than any cue ever?
Schon

If you were going to buy a new pick up truck,would you rather buy a ford 150 or something you brother in law might put together with his tools in the back yard

Actually making cues,rather than spending years on a cue or two has enabled Schon to make
what many consider the best cue in the world

I have made a deal with Schon to make me 14 Ivory joint cues,I expect them this month,
several are spoken for.Two beautiful designs,the last ivory cues ever to be made by Schon

Evan personally is making each one,so when you say production cue,it might be a compliment
at least when talking about schon cues

Last edited:

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
I agree with Dean 100%, I am a Schon dealer also and I believe they have 4 employees. Makes me wonder why nobody calls Scruggs a production cue when Bob and Mike were there. btw I have a Frey Sneaky and a Scruggs Sneaky both made in the early 80's, the one with the TS is worth more than the one with the F, but I'm pretty sure Frey built them both.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big dog

I know you meant something negative when you referred to Schon as production cues

What production means is that they actually have mastered the art of making fine

Schon

If you were going to buy a new pick up truck,would you rather buy a ford 150 or something you brother in law might put together with his tools in the back yard

Actually making cues,rather than spending years on a cue or two has enabled Schon to make

I have made a deal with Schon to make me 14 Ivory joint cues,I expect them this month,
several are spoken for.Two beautiful designs,the last ivory cues ever to be made by Schon

Evan personally is making each one,so when you say production cue,it might be a compliment

I thought that Meucci cues won more tournaments then any cue.

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Back in the day Joss won more tournaments

And considering no 2 Scruggs Cues are alike and were hand made and not produced on a panograph that could spit out as any Cues as you wished no they were never a production Cue.
Schon is a very fine Cue for what it is. Great playing. Pretty. But yes it is a production Cue not a Custom built and hand made Cue. They are fabricated by machine.
Nothing but the Joint and joining screws and bumpers were manufactured for the Scruggs Cues. They were glued together and sat for months before proceeding to the next step of production. And if you wanted any thing made to order they wait was always almost 2 years.
The forearms took 4 to 5 months at the fastest just for the veneer work. And usually longer. Finishing took months not days. Shafts were 2 years.
Tim's Cues were hand made Custom Cues.
Schon's are about as good as a production Cue can be.
The old Schon Cues were closer to custom builds. I have seen too many Schon Cues explode to know they were not built nearly as solid as a Scruggs Cue.
Will used to explode a Schon every six months.
That is about how often he missed.
Nick :)

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big dog

Schon

Between Allison Fisher and Earl Strickland (both were sponsored by Cue-Tec), I would suggest that more were won with Cue-Tec than any other cue.

Second IMO, would be Meucci. Hell they had all the pros in their stable for one time or another.

Johnny Archer was sponsored by Schon for YEARS. He won plenty of tournaments, but I would guess less than 1/2 what Allison and Earl won with Cue-Tec. I think Allison might have won EVERY event one year.

JMO

Ken

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
And considering no 2 Scruggs Cues are alike and were hand made and not produced on a panograph that could spit out as any Cues as you wished no they were never a production Cue.
Schon is a very fine Cue for what it is. Great playing. Pretty. But yes it is a production Cue not a Custom built and hand made Cue. They are fabricated by machine.
Nothing but the Joint and joining screws and bumpers were manufactured for the Scruggs Cues. They were glued together and sat for months before proceeding to the next step of production. And if you wanted any thing made to order they wait was always almost 2 years.
The forearms took 4 to 5 months at the fastest just for the veneer work. And usually longer. Finishing took months not days. Shafts were 2 years.
The old Schon Cues were closer to custom builds. I have seen too many Schon Cues explode to know they were not built nearly as solid as a Scruggs Cue.

Nick, I'm not going to get in a debate because I know your mind can't be changed and with all respect as a member of this forum, I'd like to say your thoughts about Schon cues are wrong.. They were, have, and are built as well as any cue to come out of Timmy's shop. More desirable, maybe not, but built just as well...

Reactions: mia

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Johnny Archer and Daulton had ivory handled Schon cues that went for like $25K.
The old R series Schon cues had v-points.
I have two old R era Schon blanks.

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nick, I'm not going to get in a debate because I know your mind can't be changed and with all respect as a member of this forum, I'd like to say your thoughts about Schon cues are wrong.. They were, have, and are built as well as any cue to come out of Timmy's shop. More desirable, maybe not, but built just as well...

Blasphemer!!!!!!!! You bit your tongue!!!!! How dare you imply that ANYONE made cues as well as sweet-ol' Timi!!!!

B <------------ agrees with you.

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So what you're saying is, a Schon is manufactured in batches by a machine. All someone needs to do is put the materials into the machine, walk away, and presto! Fancy cues!

Whereas Timi and Mike made each and every cue they did with their bare hands and a few simple hand tools?!?!?!

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hi Nick. Tim and Mike's inlays WERE done on a pantograph. The pantograph doesn't create the entire cue. It cuts the different inlay parts/pockets. I was fortunate to visit tim's shop years and years ago and buy a cue from him and Mike. It was a lot of fun and a day I'll never forget. The cue was awesome. I've owned three of them. Billy Stephens' Scruggs is the best hitting cue I've ever played with (wish I could own it). But....they used lathes, i.e. machines to produce their cues. Just like every other cuemaker alive. Just my .02.