FEEL IN AIMING

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Sometimes when I'm shooting bad, I go take a pee. I start the stream, close my eyes and when I open them I check how close I am to the center of the toilet bowl. This is feel. If you're shooting bad, sometimes you just have to go back to basics. 🙃
😉

Not sure it has anything to do with aiming but feel is in there at some point, maybe for speed control.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Sometimes when I'm shooting bad, I go take a pee. I start the stream, close my eyes and when I open them I check how close I am to the center of the toilet bowl. This is feel. If you're shooting bad, sometimes you just have to go back to basics. 🙃
😉

Not sure it has anything to do with aiming but feel is in there at some point, maybe for speed control.
No, no. You hit the nail on the head. When you're shooting bad, you just have to say..."piss on it. I'll come back tomorrow
and it'll be better."

phreaticus

622041A3-299A-486A-9F5D-00723D7DEF90.gif

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
😉

Speed control is all about feel. No arguments there.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I understand, but it is at least a good diagnostic tool. I think he would benefit from keeping the elbow up throughout the shot.
I think he could benefit by letting the cue be in line with a specific part in his chest/shoulder and a small elbow drop.
That would prevent the tip from "brushing" the cue ball. As we age we become more farsighted . A smooth short elbow drop makes the cue go through the line . A stroke slip is even more accurate but very difficult to master .

dquarasr

Registered
I think he could benefit by letting the cue be in line with a specific part in his chest/shoulder and a small elbow drop.
That would prevent the tip from "brushing" the cue ball. As we age we become more farsighted . A smooth short elbow drop makes the cue go through the line . A stroke slip is even more accurate but very difficult to master .
Working on the elbow drop to good effect. It’s amazing how much this feels weird when previously a pronounced elbow drop, without video support, “felt” like no drop at all.

So, yes, I am capable of self-analysis and learning. 😁

Thanks for the comments. Returning you all to @SpiderWeb thread.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Working on the elbow drop to good effect. It’s amazing how much this feels weird when previously a pronounced elbow drop, without video support, “felt” like no drop at all.

Are you seeing any difference in the spin problem you were having?

Reactions: bbb

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

i think you should take up baking..... 😂 😂

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know there's been debate on this before but I don't see how there could be brushing just from the pendulum motion. There is such an enormous margin for error at the bottom of the pendulum that it isn't likely, IMO, for it to be of concern. I don't recall the exact number but the pendulum is essentially flat for a good 2 inches before and after contact. For me, even a small elbow drop can cause a problem, so dropping a little to counteract an imagined problem is not in the cards.

One thing is certain, he'll have to figure out for himself what works best. Nobody can make that final call. Maybe we can agree that completely dropping the elbow is not recommended unless you plan to spend 12 hrs/day in the pool room perfecting that motion.

dquarasr

Registered
Are you seeing any difference in the spin problem you were having?
I know enough not to declare victory until I’ve incorporated a change for at least three weeks, but, yes, so far I am much more accurate both with potting and CB contact point (vis-a-vis reduced unwanted CB side spin).

i think you should take up baking..... 😂 😂

My wife, bless her, is a fantastic cook and baker. Not so bad me self when I bake and cook. Today I’ve been smoking a pork shoulder and it’s at 195° on its way to Michael Symons recommended 203° (Lol. Not 200. Not 205. 203)

Not to say that I am proficient only with a grill. I’m pretty good in the kitchen with Italian and French cooking, too. When we were dating, my wife told me “If you can read and follow directions, you can cook.” She was right.

Now if only that applied as easily to this f-ing game……

Reactions: bbb

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey we agree on the elbow drop thing. Imagine that

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Elbow drop is often frowned upon but certain shots need it.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I know there's been debate on this before but I don't see how there could be brushing just from the pendulum motion. There is such an enormous margin for error at the bottom of the pendulum that it isn't likely, IMO, for it to be of concern. I don't recall the exact number but the pendulum is essentially flat for a good 2 inches before and after contact. For me, even a small elbow drop can cause a problem, so dropping a little to counteract an imagined problem is not in the cards.
Here's a to-scale diagram I posted long ago illustrating what you said. With the setup shown the grip hand varies in height less than 1/8" for 2" before and after contact - the tip height varies less than 1/32".

This is why it's recommended that your forearm be perpendicular to the cue (not the table, exactly) at CB address. It's the most stable zone for both the path and the speed of the stroke.

pj
chgo

pendulum stroke.jpg

Last edited:

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree 100%. But that situation wasn't brought up nor was anything else you said above. It was a broad-brush statement about sights and aiming. Not specifics for various situations.

You don't know what I need to learn, what I own and what I shoot. As far as aiming in pool, go take some lessons.

My hat is off to you. Too bad too few aren't willing to do likewise for the individuals that really do know what they're using and discussing with a couple of pool aiming systems that they don't have a clue about but continue to belittle.

As a final statement, those that I'm addressing in here are for the largest part anti-gun, non-gun owners, and would like to see
every firearm of any type banned from ownership and personal protection use. I'm pretty sure you don't feel that way, nor I.

How do you feel about THIS? https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/house-vote-bill-banning-assault-weapons/story?id=87628799
I have no idea what the total garbage is in this bill.

You tell everyone here what they need to do without any knowledge of what they know.

So, have some of your own medicine.

Also, people are allowed to have the opinion that every gun should be banned. Just as we can have the opinion their opinion is wrong.

Much of the issues in life is everyone drawing hard lines in the sand. This aiming forum is a spectacular example of that.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You tell everyone here what they need to do without any knowledge of what they know.

Also, people are allowed to have the opinion that every gun should be banned. Just as we can have the opinion their opinion is wrong.

Much of the issues in life is everyone drawing hard lines in the sand. This aiming forum is a spectacular example of that.
This response makes no sense. Are you looking for an argument

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This response makes no sense. Are you looking for an argument

It’s a direct response to his reply to me. It doesn’t have to make sense to you.

Also, all you guys do is argue in this section. So, stfu and keep crying about aiming instead of interjecting into someone else’s conversation.

That’s why they regulated you all to your own child’s section of the forum.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
It's a two way street. All I/we do is have to defend ourselves and an aiming system that's now worldwide and used by pro players.
Something that's been going on for 2 1/2 decades.
You're a real tough guy, aren't you? I guess you know all there is to know about pool, huh?
Yeah, and what if those who are of that opinion end up getting them eradicated from ownership? How is that going to make you feel.
So, the question you should be asking yourself is, "why is that when all we're talking about is a friggin' AIMING SYSTEM?!
A way of aiming and pocketing balls.

It's like arguing about what the best stance is for shooting a pistol. The WEAVER; CHAPMAN; POWER ISOSCELES; POWER POINT; STRONG HAND RETENTION.

Well, IT DEPENDS and who gives a damn since it just could be a personal preference or a physical issue that precludes one from another.

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
It’s a direct response to his reply to me. It doesn’t have to make sense to you.

Also, all you guys do is argue in this section. So, stfu and keep crying about aiming instead of interjecting into someone else’s conversation.
I get it. We argue but that's not what you're doing right now. What you're doing is AN ORDER! Are we supposed to say,
YES SIR! and salute? You got it and you earned it. The "ONE FINGER" salute.
That’s why they regulated you all to your own child’s section of the forum.
So, what's a big grown man doing in the child's section of the forum? Are you attracted to children?