First pool book to read

tryin2hustle

Registered
Looking to get my girlfriend who shoots as a Vnea "A" a good pool book and maybe some lessons for christmas. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thx

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Phil Capelle

I recommend Play your best pool by Phil Capelle as a great book for beginners to mid level players. He also has Practice your best pool and play your best 8 ball that would provide a lot of knowledge and tips for an up and coming player.

Good luck...

Gary

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yes, Phil's book is excellent for a beginner.

So is Byrne's New Standard Book of Pool and Billiards by Robert Byrne.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looking to get my girlfriend who shoots as a Vnea "A" a good pool book and maybe some lessons for christmas. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thx

Hey man, I thought everyone knows you have to buy Pool Wars first! :rolleyes:
Just kidding, all Phil Capelle's books are great and 99 Critical Shots is a must read for any serious player. I highly recommend both.

P.S. If she reads Pool Wars she may decide to quit! ;)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Currently in print: Dr. Dave's "Illustrated Principles", Capelle's as mentioned, Byrne's "New Standard" book, Leider's "Billiards for Dummies". I'd try going to a Barnes and Noble and see what's on the shelves. See what looks good to you.

tryin2hustle

Registered
Hey man, I thought everyone knows you have to buy Pool Wars first! :rolleyes:
Just kidding, all Phil Capelle's books are great and 99 Critical Shots is a must read for any serious player. I highly recommend both.

P.S. If she reads Pool Wars she may decide to quit! ;)

I'm actually going to order this for myself. When I first signed up here my cousin, 9ballpaul, told me you had some of the best advice and threads on here and I have to agree with him. thanks again everyone. I'm really enjoying the youtube video.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without a doubt, Phil Capelle is one of the best instructional pool authors. In particular, his Play Your Best 8-Ball is very detailed and easy to follow for players of all caliber. Even the most advanced pro will benefit from this one.

Attachments

• 51VBB5TW1DL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    51VBB5TW1DL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 266

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Currently in print: Dr. Dave's "Illustrated Principles", Capelle's as mentioned, Byrne's "New Standard" book, Leider's "Billiards for Dummies". I'd try going to a Barnes and Noble and see what's on the shelves. See what looks good to you.

You might add Mark Wilson's new book to your list. Can only be purchased from Mark.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

350 shots every player should know. and or playing off the rail. one's a great instructional with cool shots to try and the other is a novel that you'll read cover to cover both are great gift ideas

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Zen Pool...

Some small stories and not all straight up instructional, but very good instruction as well. Writen by Max Eberle.

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe Steve Mizerak's Complete book of Pool is most appealing to a begginer, then I would go with Robert Byrne's Standard book of Pool and Billiards.
Petros

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
"Billiards as it should be played" by Willie Hoppe - best book on fundamentals I have ever seen.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
George Fels's Mastering Pool, 99 Critical Shots by Ray Martin, Robert Byrnes's Standard Book of Pool and Billiards, these are all good for starters. Doctor Dave's book is good and illustrated in color. Avoid Pleasures of Small Motions, definitely not for beginners and not for everybody. Phil Capelle's books are all good. I'd also recommend my Christmas Gift thread and downloading the article by George Fels, one of, if not his very best articles.

Last edited:

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those sound like safe bets

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
For an intermediate level player, George Fels "Mastering Pool" might just be best.