For format of the CSI ten-ball was complete rubbish.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
W
What you're failing to understand is that ALL pool tournaments, unless specialized, are Pro/Am events because the amateurs entry fee money is needed to build up the prize fund. There are NO Professional only events that the AMATEURS don't play in. Get the picture now?

Well maybe they Pool could attract more Amateurs with lesser entry fee for the Amateurs.

Plus a separate prize fund for the top finishing Amatures.

Golf does that with Pro/Am that normally start a few days before the main event. Give the Pro time to check out the course.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You have to meet the WPA invitation criteria. Which is based on federation rankings. Yes, I do know. And if I'm confused, I can find it. You're whole "point" is you want a true professional tourmanet, with no amateurs in it. Well, this 64 man field is it. No amateurs in it. All players are chosen based on federation ranking points. So this is what you want, right? Now, what are you going to do with it? Talk another 20 years about it?
What I WANT, is the TOP 64 players in the world by Fargo rate playing, no entry fees, Single elimination, races to 21, 3 hour match time limit, and ALL players paid at minimum, appearance money!!!!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I WANT, is the TOP 64 players in the world by Fargo rate playing, no entry fees, Single elimination, races to 21, 3 hour match time limit, and ALL players paid at minimum, appearance money!!!!
Pipe dream man. Give it up. Not even a realistic pipe dream at that. Ps, fans wouldn’t watch that anyway. Too long and boring.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Pipe dream man. Give it up. Not even a realistic pipe dream at that. Ps, fans wouldn’t watch that anyway. Too long and boring.
People used to say that about golf too, and tennis...I like the idea of multiple sets like in tennis, I just want it to be a meaningful measure of the skill rating.

Jaden

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you have Netflix? If not, I don't think you make a difference to the 200M subscribers they DO have. You're under the impression only Americans watch pool!
Ok, I see the disconnect now….I was talking about how we grow pool in the US, where it is currently behind sports like cornhole and axe throwing in terms of marketability, but you just want to grow pool in terms of “how much money can we make”.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Like it or not, we've evolved into an 'instant gratification', on-demand species, with short attention spans. We live inside the corridors of a constant virtual mall, and every ten feet something new is vying for our attention. This shift becomes even more profound with each new generation.

Sports in general are continually tweaking anything and everything to captivate the viewing masses. Pool needs to adapt and catch up. This format, with it's short, high-intensity races, and the finality of the shoot-out, is finally bringing audiences into the 21st century.

And lookout when a real-time wagering app becomes available for this format. The fast-paced action and match turnover is tailor made for gambling.

Sorry naysayers but I'm afraid it's not going anywhere.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Ok, I see the disconnect now….I was talking about how we grow pool in the US, where it is currently behind sports like cornhole and axe throwing in terms of marketability, but you just want to grow pool in terms of “how much money can we make”.
Really? Through Worldwide sports and games non-profit???

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A similar format has been used over the last few years in televised English pool tournaments. It appears to have been pretty successful with not even a suspicion of a complaint from any of the players. That was 8 ball though and alternate break. I'm all for new formats and also for "levelling the playing field" in all but the biggest tournaments - tournaments are about who is the best on the day, not who has the stamina to get in the zone in a race to 120. Those who want to see the "best" player win every time are, in my opinion, missing the point of tournaments.

But, winner breaks in a rotation (early ball) game, race to 4 at the pro level At any elite level? Really?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
A similar format has been used over the last few years in televised English pool tournaments. It appears to have been pretty successful with not even a suspicion of a complaint from any of the players. That was 8 ball though and alternate break. I'm all for new formats and also for "levelling the playing field" in all but the biggest tournaments - tournaments are about who is the best on the day, not who has the stamina to get in the zone in a race to 120. Those who want to see the "best" player win every time are, in my opinion, missing the point of tournaments.

But, winner breaks in a rotation (early ball) game, race to 4 at the pro level At any elite level? Really?
I agree, the races to 100 or 120, or even 150 is for a different kind of viewer, and is BEST viewed through a $5.99 VOD streaming platform, then the viewers have the choice of how much, how long, what time, and what day they want to watch those matches.

Pool has NEVER had a Pro division of players representing the top 200 players in the world, playing each other exclusively, in ALL the different popular games. Unlike any other sports, pool has the ability to identify several different world champions, in many different games.

But this can't be done with players that can simply cross the line and play with the Pros because they can afford the entry fee to play.
If it takes a Fargo rate of 775 or higher to earn a spot on that list of Pros, then at that very moment all the questions of "What does it take to become a PRO" and that will force players to support pool rooms and events all around the world, in the players quest to raise their Fargo rate to the pro level, which wouldn't be a BAD thing for pool rooms, would it?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Like it or not, we've evolved into an 'instant gratification', on-demand species, with short attention spans. We live inside the corridors of a constant virtual mall, and every ten feet something new is vying for our attention. This shift becomes even more profound with each new generation.

Sports in general are continually tweaking anything and everything to captivate the viewing masses. Pool needs to adapt and catch up. This format, with it's short, high-intensity races, and the finality of the shoot-out, is finally bringing audiences into the 21st century.

And lookout when a real-time wagering app becomes available for this format. The fast-paced action and match turnover is tailor made for gambling.

Sorry naysayers but I'm afraid it's not going anywhere.
How many viewers do you think it takes to get an advertiser's attention? Do you have any idea of the billion+ impressions for pool videos there are on YouTube and Facebook?

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
race to 9 wouldn't take longer time, so that's obviously not the reason. maybe they want to add variety to the game, because i can't imagine they expect this to catch on. winner break in a race to 4 is also goofy.

grabe is capable of occasionally beating both shaw and filler and probably has done several times. i think wu kun is better than his fargo suggests, the covid hiatus has been detrimental to most players but obviously not to wu kun.
The funny thing about Wu Kun Lin’s rating is that a 794 is no joke. More than enough and really should not be that shocking if he snaps off a major. Especially with odd formats.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ran a straight pool tournament this year for amateurs and I changed something about the way the game is played. Matches to 50, break only in between the end of one match and the start of the next and first to three moves on.
Extremely out of left field but not one person or player complained and I have the majority of the players and potential future ones asking when is the next event taking place.

not all changes are bad.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I ran a straight pool tournament this year for amateurs and I changed something about the way the game is played. Matches to 50, break only in between the end of one match and the start of the next and first to three moves on.
Extremely out of left field but not one person or player complained and I have the majority of the players and potential future ones asking when is the next event taking place.

not all changes are bad.
True.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the purpose of two races to 4 with a bullshit shoot out of spot shots to determine the winner? The only purpose for this that I can think of it to give the dead money a chance to win since if you go to eight the cream will always rise to the top. I watched the Polish guy play Alex and he damn near blew him off the table and it still went to a shoot out which thankfully, and I like Alex, lost. Are they doing this so that the dead money fills the field because there is no way in hell Grabe and Wu are better than Chang, Shaw, SVB, Filler etc.
I agree completely lol

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not all chances are bad but we don´t need to watch shitty tourneys. If i see this kind tourneys that just end interest from my part. plain and simple. I don´t care what others think.